* driver make files and target architecture size
@ 2019-02-12  4:25 Don Newbold
From: Don Newbold @ 2019-02-12  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi all,

This is my first post, so please excuse my shortcomings.

I've been writing and maintaining Linux drivers for over 15 years, and
am now being tasked with Xenomai support.

1. When I look at the driver make files included with the latest Xenomai
download they look totally foreign. Is the existing Linux driver module
makefile format usable or must another format be generated?

2. I'm familiar with building drivers to support 32-bit vs 64-bit
targets. I see that Xenomai has in the past had x64 support, but I now
only see x86. Please clarify the current x86 vs x64 support.

Thanks,

Don

* Re: driver make files and target architecture size
@ 2019-02-12  8:20 ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2019-02-12  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Newbold, xenomai

On 2/12/19 5:25 AM, Don Newbold via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first post, so please excuse my shortcomings.
>
> I've been writing and maintaining Linux drivers for over 15 years, and
> am now being tasked with Xenomai support.
>
> 1. When I look at the driver make files included with the latest Xenomai
> download they look totally foreign. Is the existing Linux driver module
> makefile format usable or must another format be generated?

Xenomai uses regular Makefiles for the kernel bits it provides. It also
uses autoconf-generated Makefiles for the userland components. E.g.
kernel/cobalt/Makefile describes the build recipe for the Xenomai core
in a way that should be familiar to you. This makefile and the related
sources are introduced into a regular kernel tree by a script called
"prepare-kernel.sh".

You may find detailed information there:
https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/wikis/Installing_Xenomai_3

> 2. I'm familiar with building drivers to support 32-bit vs 64-bit
> targets. I see that Xenomai has in the past had x64 support, but I now
> only see x86. Please clarify the current x86 vs x64 support.

kernel/cobalt/arch/x86 includes both 32 and 64 bit support.

--
Philippe.

* Re: driver make files and target architecture size
@ 2019-02-12 10:03   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-02-12 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum, Don Newbold, xenomai

On 12.02.19 09:20, Philippe Gerum via Xenomai wrote:
> On 2/12/19 5:25 AM, Don Newbold via Xenomai wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This is my first post, so please excuse my shortcomings.
>>
>> I've been writing and maintaining Linux drivers for over 15 years, and
>> am now being tasked with Xenomai support.
>>
>> 1. When I look at the driver make files included with the latest Xenomai
>> download they look totally foreign. Is the existing Linux driver module
>> makefile format usable or must another format be generated?
>
> Xenomai uses regular Makefiles for the kernel bits it provides. It also
> uses autoconf-generated Makefiles for the userland components. E.g.
> kernel/cobalt/Makefile describes the build recipe for the Xenomai core
> in a way that should be familiar to you. This makefile and the related
> sources are introduced into a regular kernel tree by a script called
> "prepare-kernel.sh".
>
> You may find detailed information there:
> https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/wikis/Installing_Xenomai_3
>

>> 2. I'm familiar with building drivers to support 32-bit vs 64-bit
>> targets. I see that Xenomai has in the past had x64 support, but I now
>> only see x86. Please clarify the current x86 vs x64 support.
>>

> kernel/cobalt/arch/x86 includes both 32 and 64 bit support.

...but 32-bit is suffering from diminishing interest, even in upstream Linux, so
it's not recommended if you have the choice (and it may even be subtly broken in
Xenomai today).

Jan