* bitbake.conf: reason for assignment of deprecated variable
@ 2022-04-11 15:06 Markus Niebel
From: Markus Niebel @ 2022-04-11 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hello,

with the deprecation of SERIAL_CONSOLE the following was introduced in bitbake.conf:

3f0d665384e6d1b7aa2854a9cc4f13e0961bacb7 (bitbake.conf: set SERIAL_CONSOLES from
SERIAL_CONSOLE by default)

Since this is done after inclusion of local.conf and <machine>.conf any weak default
done for a System-on-Module / CPU will be overwritten. Is this just by forgetting to
remove these lines after the deprecation or is there still a reason to keep this as
is?

Thank you

Markus Niebel

* RE: [OE-core] bitbake.conf: reason for assignment of deprecated variable
@ 2022-04-15  0:08 ` Peter Kjellerstedt
From: Peter Kjellerstedt @ 2022-04-15  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Niebel, openembedded-core

Given that it is almost ten years since SERIAL_CONSOLE was deprecated,
it might be time to actually remove it soon...

//Peter

* Re: [OE-core] bitbake.conf: reason for assignment of deprecated variable
@ 2022-04-15 10:02   ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2022-04-15 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kjellerstedt, Markus Niebel, openembedded-core

On 4/15/22 02:08, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:
> [...]

I agree, and this would allow to simplify documentation too.
Markus, would you like to submit a patch to openembedded-core?
Good catch by the way!
Thanks
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: [OE-core] bitbake.conf: reason for assignment of deprecated variable
@ 2022-04-15 11:54     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2022-04-15 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael.opdenacker, Peter Kjellerstedt, Markus Niebel, openembedded-core

On Fri, 2022-04-15 at 12:02 +0200, Michael Opdenacker via lists.openembedded.org
wrote:
> On 4/15/22 02:08, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:

This hasn't happened in the past as we've had no good way to notify users of the
change and it would likely break existing BSPs. We do at least have some
mechanism for deprecating and warning about removed variables now which should
help.

Cheers,

Richard