* RFCv3: Consolidated userspace RDMA library repo
@ 2016-09-07  4:09 Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found] ` <20160907040925.GA27361-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2016-09-07  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devesh Sharma, Doug Ledford, Hal Rosenstock, Jason Gunthorpe,
	Mike Marciniszyn, Moni Shoua, Sean Hefty, Steve Wise,
	Tatyana Nikolova, Vladimir Sokolovsky, Yishai Hadas,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Christoph Lameter,
	Christoph Hellwig

Hello Everyone,

I've updated the repo, and I think we are now at the point to begin to
engage the distribution packagers and collect their feedback. As Doug
has suggested, there are many modifications that the distros have done
that could be folded back upstream.

It is available at:
  https://github.com/jgunthorpe/rdma-plumbing

Prior posts on this topic are still informative:
  http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg39026.html
  http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg39328.html
  http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg40014.html

The patch series has several notable improvements since last time,
based on feedback:

- If valgrind headers are available they are used by default
- Static libraries are not built by default
- If libnl is not present cmake fails by default
- NDEBUG is on for Release builds but off for RelWithDebInfo (default)
  builds
- -fno-strict-aliasing is copied from upstream and applied minimally
- srptools and iwpmd are included
- Further build integration, removal of dead #ifdefs
- Warning free build on new compilers
- Start on stripping out the -abi.h mess
- Demo rpm spec file that runs on OpenSuSE 13.2/14.1/tumbleweed, FC24,
  CentOS6/7 and maybe others.

The big set piece of this update is to make the compile warning-free
with "-Wall -Wextra -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-unused-parameter" on gcc
and clang.

This is a fairly high warning level and actually found some very
intersting things, my earlier patch series encompasses this stuff.

One area that needs some feedback is how far back should we bother to
support warning-free compile with gcc. Currently only gcc 6.1and clang
3.8 are warning free.

This is mainly to do with -Wmaybe-uninitialized on older compilers
that lack the static analysis that gcc now has.  I know Linus has
in-the-past come out against uninitialized_var,
(https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/26/508) and indeed gcc 6.1 noticed one
probable-bug in mlx5 being suppressed by using this inappropriately.

Some options:
 - Have cmake set -Wno-maybe-uninitialized on old compiles and forget
   about it
 - Annotate in zero initializers in the few places, maybe with some
   kind of macro
 - Leave it as is, recommend developers use gcc 6.1 or clang 3.8

Since clang throws a hissy fit with the x=x construction I've deleted
it from the tree..

For this update I am going to not post patches again, the series is
now up to 57 commits and that is too many for the mailing list.

This next major step will be to track down the packagers in distros
and inform them of the plan to collect feedback.

Jason

* Re: RFCv3: Consolidated userspace RDMA library repo
       [not found] ` <20160907040925.GA27361-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-09-07  6:25   ` Leon Romanovsky
       [not found]     ` <20160907062508.GA3639-2ukJVAZIZ/Y@public.gmane.org>
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2016-09-07  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Devesh Sharma, Doug Ledford, Hal Rosenstock, Mike Marciniszyn,

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 10:09:25PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've updated the repo, and I think we are now at the point to begin to
> engage the distribution packagers and collect their feedback. As Doug
> has suggested, there are many modifications that the distros have done
> that could be folded back upstream.
>
> It is available at:
>   https://github.com/jgunthorpe/rdma-plumbing

The simple git pull from v2 on master fails. Do I need to clone it
again?

Thanks

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2016-09-07 15:45       ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]         ` <20160907154508.GA2878-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2016-09-07 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Romanovsky
  Cc: Devesh Sharma, Doug Ledford, Hal Rosenstock, Mike Marciniszyn,

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 09:25:08AM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 10:09:25PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I've updated the repo, and I think we are now at the point to begin to
> > engage the distribution packagers and collect their feedback. As Doug
> > has suggested, there are many modifications that the distros have done
> > that could be folded back upstream.
> >
> > It is available at:
> >   https://github.com/jgunthorpe/rdma-plumbing
>
> The simple git pull from v2 on master fails. Do I need to clone it
> again?

The tree is still in the rebase phase, so 'git fetch --all' followed
by 'git reset --hard origin/master' or 'git rebase -i origin/master +
fiddling' to preserve local commits

@ 2016-09-08  5:49           ` Leon Romanovsky
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2016-09-08  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Devesh Sharma, Doug Ledford, Hal Rosenstock, Mike Marciniszyn,

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 09:45:08AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 09:25:08AM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 10:09:25PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > > Hello Everyone,
> > >
> > > I've updated the repo, and I think we are now at the point to begin to
> > > engage the distribution packagers and collect their feedback. As Doug
> > > has suggested, there are many modifications that the distros have done
> > > that could be folded back upstream.
> > >
> > > It is available at:
> > >   https://github.com/jgunthorpe/rdma-plumbing
> >
> > The simple git pull from v2 on master fails. Do I need to clone it
> > again?
>
> The tree is still in the rebase phase, so 'git fetch --all' followed
> by 'git reset --hard origin/master' or 'git rebase -i origin/master +
> fiddling' to preserve local commits

Thanks

> Jason

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2016-09-08 11:26   ` Hal Rosenstock
       [not found]     ` <2e2b54f5-1a9d-bb31-ffd9-fe6936011aaf-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
From: Hal Rosenstock @ 2016-09-08 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe, Devesh Sharma, Doug Ledford, Mike Marciniszyn,

On 9/7/2016 12:09 AM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've updated the repo, and I think we are now at the point to begin to
> engage the distribution packagers and collect their feedback. As Doug
> has suggested, there are many modifications that the distros have done
> that could be folded back upstream.
>
> It is available at:
>   https://github.com/jgunthorpe/rdma-plumbing
>
> Prior posts on this topic are still informative:
>   http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg39026.html
>   http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg39328.html
>   http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg40014.html

Looks to me that librdmacm is missing some patches. Sean moved this repo
from the OFA server to github some time ago. What repo was used as basis
for librdmacm in rdma-plumbing ?

-- Hal

@ 2016-09-08 18:31       ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]         ` <20160908183122.GC21614-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2016-09-08 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hal Rosenstock
  Cc: Devesh Sharma, Doug Ledford, Mike Marciniszyn, Moni Shoua,

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 07:26:38AM -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> On 9/7/2016 12:09 AM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I've updated the repo, and I think we are now at the point to begin to
> > engage the distribution packagers and collect their feedback. As Doug
> > has suggested, there are many modifications that the distros have done
> > that could be folded back upstream.
> >
> > It is available at:
> >   https://github.com/jgunthorpe/rdma-plumbing
> >
> > Prior posts on this topic are still informative:
> >   http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg39026.html
> >   http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg39328.html
> >   http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg40014.html
>
> Looks to me that librdmacm is missing some patches. Sean moved this repo
> from the OFA server to github some time ago. What repo was used as basis
> for librdmacm in rdma-plumbing ?

Yep, good catch Hal, this is using the old URL.

I largely used https://openfabrics.org/downloads/MAINTAINERS as a
reference, so whoever is reposible should updated it I guess.

I've switched to https://github.com/ofiwg/librdmacm.git, and updated
the github.

Here is the list of trees if you can see any other mistakes:

    "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/infiniband/libibverbs.git",
    "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/infiniband/libmthca.git",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~bvanassche/srptools.git",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~emulex/libocrdma.git",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~halr/libibumad.git",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~shefty/libibcm.git",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~swise/libcxgb3.git",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~swise/libcxgb4.git",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~tnikolova/libi40iw/.git",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~tnikolova/libiwpm",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~tnikolova/libnes/.git",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~yishaih/libmlx4.git",
    "git://git.openfabrics.org/~yishaih/libmlx5.git",
    "https://github.com/01org/libipathverbs.git",
    "https://github.com/01org/opa-libhfi1verbs.git",
    "https://github.com/SoftRoCE/librxe-dev.git",
    "https://github.com/ofiwg/librdmacm.git",

(see https://github.com/jgunthorpe/rdma-plumbing/blob/tooling/buildlib/make-merge.py)

@ 2016-09-08 18:54           ` Hal Rosenstock
       [not found]             ` <fdbfdc86-80d2-bb12-e69a-d4b7976bfba6-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
From: Hal Rosenstock @ 2016-09-08 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Devesh Sharma, Doug Ledford, Mike Marciniszyn, Moni Shoua,

On 9/8/2016 2:31 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> I've switched to https://github.com/ofiwg/librdmacm.git, and updated
> the github.

There's also https://github.com/shefty/librdmacm.git which has 2 more
commits than the github ofiwg repo. I think that may be the most up to
date repo.

-- Hal

@ 2016-09-08 19:38               ` Jason Gunthorpe
       [not found]                 ` <20160908193815.GA2424-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2016-09-08 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hal Rosenstock
  Cc: Devesh Sharma, Doug Ledford, Mike Marciniszyn, Moni Shoua,

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 02:54:24PM -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> On 9/8/2016 2:31 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > I've switched to https://github.com/ofiwg/librdmacm.git, and updated
> > the github.
>
> There's also https://github.com/shefty/librdmacm.git which has 2 more
> commits than the github ofiwg repo. I think that may be the most up to
> date repo.

What a mess. Lets let Sean comment when he gets back :(

They look like legit patches though.

@ 2016-09-08 19:47                   ` Steve Wise
From: Steve Wise @ 2016-09-08 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jason Gunthorpe', 'Hal Rosenstock'
  Cc: 'Devesh Sharma', 'Doug Ledford',
	'Mike Marciniszyn', 'Moni Shoua',
	'Sean Hefty', 'Tatyana Nikolova',
	'Vladimir Sokolovsky', 'Yishai Hadas',
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, 'Christoph Hellwig'

> On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 02:54:24PM -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > On 9/8/2016 2:31 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > > I've switched to https://github.com/ofiwg/librdmacm.git, and updated
> > > the github.
> >
> > There's also https://github.com/shefty/librdmacm.git which has 2 more
> > commits than the github ofiwg repo. I think that may be the most up to
> > date repo.
>
> What a mess. Lets let Sean comment when he gets back :(
>
> They look like legit patches though.
>
> Jason
> --

I think the ofiwg is the correct repo, according to his announcement:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg33584.html

* Re: RFCv3: Consolidated userspace RDMA library repo
@ 2016-09-09  4:28                     ` Doug Ledford
       [not found]                       ` <7df61de8-0999-1ba6-7381-be9753157650-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Doug Ledford @ 2016-09-09  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Wise, 'Jason Gunthorpe', 'Hal Rosenstock'
  Cc: 'Devesh Sharma', 'Mike Marciniszyn',
	'Moni Shoua', 'Sean Hefty',

On 9/8/2016 3:47 PM, Steve Wise wrote:

>>> There's also https://github.com/shefty/librdmacm.git which has 2 more
>>> commits than the github ofiwg repo. I think that may be the most up to
>>> date repo.
>>
>> What a mess. Lets let Sean comment when he gets back :(
>>
>> They look like legit patches though.
>>
>> Jason
>> --
>
> I think the ofiwg is the correct repo, according to his announcement:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg33584.html

I think ofiwg is the official repo, and the other is his personal repo.
Much like I use k.o as my official repo and github as my early release repo.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
    GPG Key ID: 0E572FDD

@ 2016-09-11 12:53               ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-09-11 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hal Rosenstock
  Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, Devesh Sharma, Doug Ledford, Mike Marciniszyn,
	Moni Shoua, Sean Hefty, Steve Wise, Tatyana Nikolova,
	Vladimir Sokolovsky, Yishai Hadas,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Christoph Hellwig

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 02:54:24PM -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> There's also https://github.com/shefty/librdmacm.git which has 2 more
> commits than the github ofiwg repo. I think that may be the most up to
> date repo.

Oh, yikes.  Can't wait for a single central repo that has all the
current code in one place..

@ 2016-09-13 17:16                         ` Hefty, Sean
From: Hefty, Sean @ 2016-09-13 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Ledford, Steve Wise, 'Jason Gunthorpe',
	'Hal Rosenstock'
  Cc: 'Devesh Sharma', Marciniszyn, Mike, 'Moni Shoua',
	Nikolova, Tatyana E, 'Vladimir Sokolovsky',
	'Yishai Hadas',
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, 'Christoph Hellwig'

> I think ofiwg is the official repo, and the other is his personal repo.
> Much like I use k.o as my official repo and github as my early release
> repo.

Correct.  I had manually merged patches sent into linux-rdma into my personal repo, and was just lacking the PR to merge those into the upstream repo.  I've merged the pending changes in (minor updates to test programs).

The ofiwg repo is intended as the official repo, as it would allow group maintainership.

- Sean