* YP Quick Build: errors/annoyances: ubu-22.04 docker container
@ 2022-04-12 16:05 Randy MacLeod
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Randy MacLeod @ 2022-04-12 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Opdenacker, docs

Some things I noticed when using:

https://docs.yoctoproject.org/brief-yoctoprojectqs/index.html

to setup a docker container running ubu-22.04-beta .
$

$ sudo apt install gawk wget git diffstat unzip texinfo gcc build-essential chrpath socat cpio python3 python3-pip python3-pexpect xz-utils debianutils iputils-ping python3-git python3-jinja2 libegl1-mesa libsdl1.2-dev pylint3 xterm python3-subunit mesa-common-dev zstd liblz4-tool

should be:

$ sudo apt install gawk wget git diffstat unzip texinfo gcc build-essential chrpath socat cpio python3 python3-pip python3-pexpect xz-utils debianutils iputils-ping python3-git python3-jinja2 libegl1-mesa libsdl1.2-dev pylint xterm python3-subunit mesa-common-dev zstd liblz4-tool

i.e. s/pylint3/pylint/

and I also see:

$ bitbake libarchive-native
ERROR: The following required tools (as specified by HOSTTOOLS) appear
to be unavailable in PATH, please install them in order to proceed:
   file

and
$ sudo apt install file

fixes that.

Finally, there's no explanation of how to deal with:
$ bitbake libarchive-native
ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential
misconfiguration.
     Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the
checker (see sanity.conf).
     Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:

     Your system needs to support the en_US.UTF-8 locale.

Should that be part of the quick start or is there a section of the docs
that
already covers it for supported distros? Likely many desktop installs
already
configure a variety of locales.

Should I create a bug for any of these issues?

--
# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux

* Re: [docs] YP Quick Build: errors/annoyances: ubu-22.04 docker container
@ 2022-04-12 17:53 ` Khem Raj
       [not found] ` <c756a98b-b38a-115a-6e17-0d9d9a883727@bootlin.com>
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-04-12 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 9:05 AM Randy MacLeod
<randy.macleod@windriver.com> wrote:

> Some things I noticed when using:
>
> https://docs.yoctoproject.org/brief-yoctoprojectqs/index.html
>
> to setup a docker container running ubu-22.04-beta .
> $
>
> $ sudo apt install gawk wget git diffstat unzip texinfo gcc build-essential chrpath socat cpio python3 python3-pip python3-pexpect xz-utils debianutils iputils-ping python3-git python3-jinja2 libegl1-mesa libsdl1.2-dev pylint3 xterm python3-subunit mesa-common-dev zstd liblz4-tool
>
> should be:
>
> $ sudo apt install gawk wget git diffstat unzip texinfo gcc build-essential chrpath socat cpio python3 python3-pip python3-pexpect xz-utils debianutils iputils-ping python3-git python3-jinja2 libegl1-mesa libsdl1.2-dev pylint xterm python3-subunit mesa-common-dev zstd liblz4-tool
>
> i.e. s/pylint3/pylint/

perhaps good to update the pre-requisites section in docs.

> and I also see:
>
> $ bitbake libarchive-native
> ERROR: The following required tools (as specified by HOSTTOOLS) appear to be unavailable in PATH, please install them in order to proceed:
>   file
>
> and
> $ sudo apt install file
>
> fixes that.

This perhaps needs to be added to pre-requisites too. Just ensure that
it works with older debian-like distros too.

> Finally, there's no explanation of how to deal with:
> $ bitbake libarchive-native
> ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
>     Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the checker (see sanity.conf).
>     Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:
>
>     Your system needs to support the en_US.UTF-8 locale.
>
> Should that be part of the quick start or is there a section of the docs that
> already covers it for supported distros? Likely many desktop installs already
> configure a variety of locales.
>

> Should I create a bug for any of these issues?

yeah perhaps something like this in setting up the container might help

locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
update-locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8

       [not found]   ` <6bf3c70e-7531-36db-93ad-c1648a8aaf42@windriver.com>
@ 2022-04-15 19:46     ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2022-04-15 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/13/22 23:45, Randy MacLeod wrote:
> On 2022-04-13 13:08, Michael Opdenacker wrote:
>>>

>> No, I'll process your comments one by one. I'll take care of opening a
>> bug if necessary.
>> Thanks again
>> Michael.
>>

> Just what I wanted to hear...
>
> Thanks Michael!

I don't forget you, but I need to get familiar with using Docker, to
test the prerequisites not only on Ubuntu, but on other supported distros.
So, I could send updates just for Ubuntu, but something more generic
would probably be better.

I'll be on holiday next week, but I won't forget.
Cheers
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: YP Quick Build: errors/annoyances: ubu-22.04 docker container
       [not found] ` <c756a98b-b38a-115a-6e17-0d9d9a883727@bootlin.com>
@ 2022-11-04  3:23 ` glscene2010
From: glscene2010 @ 2022-11-04  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docs

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 01:05 AM, Randy MacLeod wrote:

> pylint3

I read doc ( https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/system-requirements.html#required-packages-for-the-build-host ) it contains
1.1 Supported Linux Distributions
Currently, the Yocto Project is supported on the following distributions:
Ubuntu 22.04 (LTS)

And for Ubuntu/Debian doc contains
sudo apt install gawk wget git diffstat unzip texinfo gcc build-essential chrpath socat cpio python3 python3-pip python3-pexpect xz-utils debianutils iputils-ping python3-git python3-jinja2 libegl1-mesa libsdl1.2-dev pylint3 xterm python3-subunit mesa-common-dev zstd liblz4-tool I use Ubuntu 22. I get "E: Unable to locate package pylint3". As i know there is no package ( https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=pylint3 ) pylint3 on Ubuntu 22. YP needs fix doc. It is not normal that user get error on supported OS, isn't it? I am sorry, I am new and I use github before. So I don't know how add commit for YP doc.

* Re: [docs] YP Quick Build: errors/annoyances: ubu-22.04 docker container
@ 2022-11-07 16:25   ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2022-11-07 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: glscene2010, docs

Hi,

On 11/4/22 04:23, glscene2010@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 01:05 AM, Randy MacLeod wrote:
>

>> pylint3
>
> I read doc ( https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/system-requirements.html*required-packages-for-the-build-host__;Iw!!OOPJP91ZZw!gmYKOZBh9UcNSF3JHQDjw_0nOFfONFwR7HEIg6foV2TsuEEWpC3v9hrGhhcXqHUxL3guSXC9T94_R-Y7Db4N5vKlvS-se3vUl5g$  ) it contains
> 1.1 Supported Linux Distributions
> Currently, the Yocto Project is supported on the following distributions:
> Ubuntu 22.04 (LTS)
>
> And for Ubuntu/Debian doc contains
> sudo apt install gawk wget git diffstat unzip texinfo gcc build-essential chrpath socat cpio python3 python3-pip python3-pexpect xz-utils debianutils iputils-ping python3-git python3-jinja2 libegl1-mesa libsdl1.2-dev pylint3 xterm python3-subunit mesa-common-dev zstd liblz4-tool I use Ubuntu 22. I get "E: Unable to locate package pylint3". As i know there is no package ( https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=pylint3__;!!OOPJP91ZZw!gmYKOZBh9UcNSF3JHQDjw_0nOFfONFwR7HEIg6foV2TsuEEWpC3v9hrGhhcXqHUxL3guSXC9T94_R-Y7Db4N5vKlvS-s_QvVWKY$  ) pylint3 on Ubuntu 22. YP needs fix doc. It is not normal that user get error on supported OS, isn't it? I am sorry, I am new and I use github before. So I don't know how add commit for YP doc.

Thanks for the report, I sent a patch to fix it:
https://lore.kernel.org/yocto-docs/20221107-upstream-pylint-removal-v1-0-014ecbdb50c7@theobroma-systems.com/T/#u

See https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/tree/README if you're
interested in contributing to the Documentation in the future, we'll be
looking forward to your patches :)

Cheers,
Quentin