* Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu the right way -[Subthread Cores]
       [not found] <201812270548.42446.randrianasulu@gmail.com>
@ 2018-12-27  3:31 ` liebrecht
From: liebrecht @ 2018-12-27  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Thanks a million Andrew
-enable-kvm switch really solved the erratic on of switching off the
mouse and sound.
All I get now are small pips and pops I will have to chase sown. Sounds
like buffer overruns of some sort due to too small buffers on the linux
receiving end. Dont know how to adjust that, but I am sure it is
something like that. Sounds like a gramophone scratch every now and then
which I know to be usually too small buffers.

But, you improved the situation enormously thanks.

Regarding software cpus.
I realized something like that must be going on.
I dont understand the justification to add cpus for the guest that
doesnt exist. That can only end in trouble.

What I want is for the guest to use a real subcollection of amount of
cores accessed by the guest. I have 24 available, but some of my
software to be used with qemu needs at least 6 cores so I need to get
past this strange 2cpu limit that is now showing up in win7 pro. Since I
do not have networking sorted out yet I cannot update win7 pro, and it
might be the updates which are needed for allowing more than two cpus.
I uses cpus and cores interactively as for the windows guest both are
the same number and windows only name them cpus.

I just added a subthread to the subject line to distinguish between the
three problems I have, Networking Sound and Cpu Count in the host.
"-cpu host" seems to be what I need, so I will back up the VM and try
it.

Thanks you have been of really great help.

On 2018-12-26 21:48, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
> Hello!
>
> just saw your question in qemu-devel and trying to answer
>
> -------------------
> Now for a very important question.
>
> If hardware virtualization was not switched on in bios will qemu refuse
> create more cpus? I just want to know if there are not bogus software
> cpus or
> cores created by qemu and that it actually checks it can get real cores
> from
> the machine and make it available to the host.
> ----------------
>
> I think qemu will create as much 'software' cpus as you told it by
> '-smp'
> directive IF you will not use hardware virtualization. And you can run
> with
> more virtual cpus than physical number of cpus you actually have, just
> ..it
> will be slower, not faster.
>
> but without hw virtualization everything will be ..sloooow [1] .... so
> I think
> you better to add -enable-kvm to your qemu command line.  Try to use
> -cpu host
> if you are brave (win7 may not survive this..)
>

> [1] see for example
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-12/msg03710.html
>
> After this series, we bring down the average SPEC06int slowdown vs KVM
> from 11.47x to 7.58x.

* [Qemu-devel] Passing NFS volume on host to win7 guest
       [not found] <201812270548.42446.randrianasulu@gmail.com>
@ 2018-12-29  5:55 ` liebrecht
From: liebrecht @ 2018-12-29  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hope I dont have to use samba for this.

 From reading online searches, it seems the following  could work where
backup is the nfs exported volume to be shared.

-virtfs
local,path=/backup,mount_tag=host0,security_model=passthrough,id=host0

qemu boots into win7 with this string added so it was accepted but I
could not find a way to access it from within win7
Anyone has good advice

@ 2018-12-30  1:05 ` liebrecht