* Re: [SPDK] Compiling error on different types of Intel CPU
@ 2018-05-22 14:00 Kulasek, TomaszX
From: Kulasek, TomaszX @ 2018-05-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

I suppose you have gcc < 4.9 installed with no -march=ivybridge supported. DPDK recommends gcc 4.9 or higher, so you can upgrade it or try for older gcc versions:

-march=core-avx-i

for both SPDK as well as DPDK.

Tomek

From: SPDK <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org<mailto:spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org>> on behalf of Nathan Marushak <nathan.marushak(a)intel.com<mailto:nathan.marushak(a)intel.com>>
Date: Monday, May 21, 2018 at 6:31 AM
To: Storage Performance Development Kit <spdk(a)lists.01.org<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>>

I know Jim will answer this better. We had a similar discussion someplace else. I want to say that this has something to do with how you constructed your VM. I think it was the VM was built with some incorrect expectations for CPU emulation.

Jim?
Thanks,
Nate

On May 21, 2018, at 5:21 AM, Luse, Paul E <paul.e.luse(a)intel.com<mailto:paul.e.luse(a)intel.com>> wrote:
Hi,

I’m not the vhost expert but invalid CPU opcode seems unlikely.  If you can send some more information, like log outputs, backtrace from gdb or something that would be helpful.  This is likely an opcode used somewhere along the way and has to do with a vhost or scsi opcode or something.

Thx
Paul

From: E.W.Z. @ 2019-03-11 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Agree, it is not possible as it is written now.
Opened an issue, see here https://github.com/spdk/spdk/issues/711

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Harris, James R @ 2019-03-11 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

@ 2019-03-11 12:48 Ernest Zed
From: Ernest Zed @ 2019-03-11 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

@ 2018-05-22  7:09 Bob Chen
From: Bob Chen @ 2018-05-22  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

> Hi Bob,
>

> DPDK builds by default with –march=native.  This means when the app is
> compiled on the E5v4 (Broadwell Xeon) it may use instructions available on
> the E5v4 which are not available on the E5v2 (Ivy Bridge Xeon).

Looks like I will have to withdraw my assumption. Neither of these methods
could work.

1. make DPDK_CFLAGS=-march=ivybridge install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
Compilation passed, but still got the same error on E5v2. Probably this
added flag was not effectively working.

2. change CONFIG_RTE_MACHINE to “ivybridge”
Compilation failed,

== Build lib/librte_eal/linuxapp
cc1: error: bad value (ivybridge) for -march= switch
== Build lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/eal
== Build lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/igb_uio
cc1: error: bad value (ivybridge) for -march= switch

> Could you try “make clean” followed by “make DPDK_CFLAGS=-march=ivybridge”?
>

> Alternatively, you can modify dpdk/config/defconfig_spdk-linuxapp-gcc –
> change CONFIG_RTE_MACHINE to “ivybridge”.  Then “make clean” and rebuild.
>

> -Jim
>

> *From: *SPDK <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org> on behalf of Nathan Marushak <
> nathan.marushak(a)intel.com>
> *Date: *Monday, May 21, 2018 at 6:31 AM
> *To: *Storage Performance Development Kit <spdk(a)lists.01.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [SPDK] Compiling error on different types of Intel CPU
>

> I know Jim will answer this better. We had a similar discussion someplace
> else. I want to say that this has something to do with how you constructed
> your VM. I think it was the VM was built with some incorrect expectations
> for CPU emulation.
>

> Jim?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nate
>

> On May 21, 2018, at 5:21 AM, Luse, Paul E <paul.e.luse(a)intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I’m not the vhost expert but invalid CPU opcode seems unlikely.  If you
> can send some more information, like log outputs, backtrace from gdb or
> something that would be helpful.  This is likely an opcode used somewhere
> along the way and has to do with a vhost or scsi opcode or something.
>

> Thx
> Paul

[-- Type: text/html, Size: 10295 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Compiling error on different types of Intel CPU
@ 2018-05-22  4:08 Harris, James R
From: Harris, James R @ 2018-05-22  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

From: SPDK <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org> on behalf of Bob Chen <a175818323(a)gmail.com>
Date: Monday, May 21, 2018 at 8:23 PM
To: Storage Performance Development Kit <spdk(a)lists.01.org>

Hi Bob,

DPDK builds by default with –march=native.  This means when the app is compiled on the E5v4 (Broadwell Xeon) it may use instructions available on the E5v4 which are not available on the E5v2 (Ivy Bridge Xeon).

Could you try “make clean” followed by “make DPDK_CFLAGS=-march=ivybridge”?

Alternatively, you can modify dpdk/config/defconfig_spdk-linuxapp-gcc – change CONFIG_RTE_MACHINE to “ivybridge”.  Then “make clean” and rebuild.

I assume it could work, but I still need to prepare two packages for each type of servers.

Is there any possibility that I could build a compatible software and let it run on both of them?

And who knows what would happen when things come to the next Skylake platform...

The “ivybridge” packages would work on both the E5v2 (Ivy Bridge) and E5v4 (Haswell) systems, as well as Skylake and future microarchitectures.

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 5845 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Compiling error on different types of Intel CPU
@ 2018-05-22  3:23 Bob Chen
From: Bob Chen @ 2018-05-22  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

> Hi Bob,
>

> DPDK builds by default with –march=native.  This means when the app is
> compiled on the E5v4 (Broadwell Xeon) it may use instructions available on
> the E5v4 which are not available on the E5v2 (Ivy Bridge Xeon).
>

> Could you try “make clean” followed by “make DPDK_CFLAGS=-march=ivybridge”?
>

> Alternatively, you can modify dpdk/config/defconfig_spdk-linuxapp-gcc –
> change CONFIG_RTE_MACHINE to “ivybridge”.  Then “make clean” and rebuild.

I assume it could work, but I still need to prepare two packages for each
type of servers.

Is there any possibility that I could build a compatible software and let
it run on both of them?

And who knows what would happen when things come to the next Skylake
platform...

> -Jim
>

> *From: *SPDK <spdk-bounces(a)lists.01.org> on behalf of Nathan Marushak <
> nathan.marushak(a)intel.com>
> *Date: *Monday, May 21, 2018 at 6:31 AM
> *To: *Storage Performance Development Kit <spdk(a)lists.01.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [SPDK] Compiling error on different types of Intel CPU
>

> I know Jim will answer this better. We had a similar discussion someplace
> else. I want to say that this has something to do with how you constructed
> your VM. I think it was the VM was built with some incorrect expectations
> for CPU emulation.
>

> Jim?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nate
>

> On May 21, 2018, at 5:21 AM, Luse, Paul E <paul.e.luse(a)intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I’m not the vhost expert but invalid CPU opcode seems unlikely.  If you
> can send some more information, like log outputs, backtrace from gdb or
> something that would be helpful.  This is likely an opcode used somewhere
> along the way and has to do with a vhost or scsi opcode or something.
>

> Thx
> Paul

[-- Type: text/html, Size: 8830 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Compiling error on different types of Intel CPU
@ 2018-05-21 15:25 Harris, James R

The app would immediately crash, with below kernel message:

traps: spdk_vhost[35075] trap invalid opcode ip:468569 sp:7ffee17d0ad0 error:0 in spdk_vhost[400000+a7000]

Incompatible CPU instruction set, I guess?

-Bob

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 8771 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Compiling error on different types of Intel CPU
@ 2018-05-21 15:18 Verkamp, Daniel
From: Verkamp, Daniel @ 2018-05-21 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

The default DPDK and SPDK compiler options include -march=native, which selects the instruction set for the build machine.

You can modify the options in mk/spdk.common.mk for SPDK (currently, there is no way to override this without modifying the source, since the user CFLAGS are added before the ones from mk/spdk.common.mk).  For DPDK, you can add an "EXTRA_CFLAGS=-march=generic" to dpdk/config/common_spdk.

Thanks
-- Daniel

The app would immediately crash, with below kernel message:

traps: spdk_vhost[35075] trap invalid opcode ip:468569 sp:7ffee17d0ad0 error:0 in spdk_vhost[400000+a7000]

Incompatible CPU instruction set, I guess?

-Bob

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 8100 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Compiling error on different types of Intel CPU
@ 2018-05-21 13:31 Marushak, Nathan

The app would immediately crash, with below kernel message:

traps: spdk_vhost[35075] trap invalid opcode ip:468569 sp:7ffee17d0ad0 error:0 in spdk_vhost[400000+a7000]

Incompatible CPU instruction set, I guess?

-Bob

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 5081 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] Compiling error on different types of Intel CPU
@ 2018-05-21 12:21 Luse, Paul E
From: Luse, Paul E @ 2018-05-21 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

I’m not the vhost expert but invalid CPU opcode seems unlikely.  If you can send some more information, like log outputs, backtrace from gdb or something that would be helpful.  This is likely an opcode used somewhere along the way and has to do with a vhost or scsi opcode or something.

Thx
Paul

The app would immediately crash, with below kernel message:

traps: spdk_vhost[35075] trap invalid opcode ip:468569 sp:7ffee17d0ad0 error:0 in spdk_vhost[400000+a7000]

Incompatible CPU instruction set, I guess?

-Bob

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 4468 bytes --]

* [SPDK] Compiling error on different types of Intel CPU
@ 2018-05-21  8:11 Bob Chen
From: Bob Chen @ 2018-05-21  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk