* Forcing fetch task when source changes
@ 2014-09-22 11:25 Vuille, Martin (Martin)
From: Vuille, Martin (Martin) @ 2014-09-22 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I have defined a class with a customized fetch task (that
copies files from a local read-only directory to the ${S}
directory).

I am looking for a way to cause the fetch task to run
again whenever the contents of the local directory
change w.r.t. what was last fetched/copied to ${S}.

Is there a way to do that?

MV

* Re: Forcing fetch task when source changes
@ 2014-09-22 11:33 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2014-09-22 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vuille, Martin (Martin); +Cc: yocto

On 22 September 2014 12:25, Vuille, Martin (Martin) <vmartin@avaya.com> wrote:
> I have defined a class with a customized fetch task (that
>
> copies files from a local read-only directory to the ${S}
>
> directory).
>

> I am looking for a way to cause the fetch task to run
>
> again whenever the contents of the local directory
>
> change w.r.t. what was last fetched/copied to ${S}.

Why not just use local URIs in the SRC_URI:

SRC_URI="file:///home/foo/bar/flob.c"

Ross

* Re: Forcing fetch task when source changes
@ 2014-09-22 12:02   ` Vuille, Martin (Martin)
From: Vuille, Martin (Martin) @ 2014-09-22 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

Would this work for a directory tree as opposed to a single file?

Also, the current "copy" is not a straight copy, it excludes certain files.
But I might be able to deal with that post-fetch.

MV

@ 2014-09-23 12:46   ` Vuille, Martin (Martin)
From: Vuille, Martin (Martin) @ 2014-09-23 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

Perhaps I misunderstood your suggestion or I am missing
something obvious, but this doesn't work either.

If I point to my source with SRC_URI, the source does get
copied over to ${S} but changing the source doesn't trigger
a new fetch/unpack.

This is cleaner than what I was doing, but doesn't address
my issue of having to manually force a fetch/unpack every
time the source changes.

Perhaps due to my old versions: Poky 1.2 and bitbake 1.15.1?

MV

@ 2014-09-23 13:32     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2014-09-23 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vuille, Martin (Martin); +Cc: yocto

On 23 September 2014 13:46, Vuille, Martin (Martin) <vmartin@avaya.com> wrote:
> Perhaps due to my old versions: Poky 1.2 and bitbake 1.15.1?

Yes.

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/meta/conf/bitbake.conf?id=eaf54b8dbf9371965b4ccf18609edeb8eee16144
is where the hashing was introduced to rebuild automatically when
inputs change, but that landed in 1.3 onwards.  The support was there
in 1.2 so you could try setting BB_SIGNATURE_HANDLER in your
distribution configuration to see if it works...

Ross

* Re: Forcing fetch task when source changes
@ 2014-09-23 13:49       ` Vuille, Martin (Martin)
From: Vuille, Martin (Martin) @ 2014-09-23 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

I was afraid of that...

Another good reason to upgrade.

Will try the work-around.

Thanks again!
MV

@ 2014-09-23 15:46       ` Vuille, Martin (Martin)
From: Vuille, Martin (Martin) @ 2014-09-23 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

Very odd.

Our BSP vendor has configured BB_SIGNATURE_HANDLER to use OEBasicHash,
I see hashes in the stamp file names, if I change the metadata itself the change
is detected and the tasks are run again, but changing the content of a file named
in a "file://" SRC_URI has no effect.

Any ideas?

MV

@ 2014-09-26 21:54         ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2014-09-26 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vuille, Martin (Martin); +Cc: yocto

On 23 September 2014 16:46, Vuille, Martin (Martin) <vmartin@avaya.com> wrote:
> Very odd.
>
> Our BSP vendor has configured BB_SIGNATURE_HANDLER to use OEBasicHash,
> I see hashes in the stamp file names, if I change the metadata itself the change
> is detected and the tasks are run again, but changing the content of a file named
> in a "file://" SRC_URI has no effect.
>
> Any ideas?

None, sorry.  Possibly you've found a bug in the 1.2-era hashing code.
Can you lean on your BSP provider to stop using 2.5 year old releases?
:/

Ross

* Re: Forcing fetch task when source changes
@ 2014-09-27  0:15           ` Vuille, Martin (Martin)
From: Vuille, Martin (Martin) @ 2014-09-27  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

We're planning an update to Dizzy, and to keep up-to-date after that.

Thanks for your help
MV