* PREFERRED_VERSION for native package
@ 2016-01-19 13:16 Vuille, Martin (Martin)
From: Vuille, Martin (Martin) @ 2016-01-19 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Yocto Fido

I am trying to use PREFERRED_VERSION to select an earlier version
of the "db" package. The build includes both db and db-native variants
of the package.

I set PREFERRED_VERSION_db variable and this successfully changes
the version of the db package but not the db-native package.

I tried also setting PREFERRED_VERSION_db-native but this doesn't
seem to have any effect.

What am I missing? How can I override version for a native package?

* Re: PREFERRED_VERSION for native package
@ 2016-01-19 16:13 ` Vuille, Martin (Martin)
From: Vuille, Martin (Martin) @ 2016-01-19 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

OK, found the problem.

To achieve my objective, the right approach is to add "AGPL-3.0" to INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE.
This causes the build to fall back to the older version of db.

However, I figured this out after finding the following line in poky/meta/conf/distro/include/default-versions.inc:

                PREFERRED_VERSION_db-native = ${@incompatible_license_contains('AGPL-3.0', '5.%', '6.%', d)}

Is it correct that this is an absolute assignment rather than a conditional one? I think my
PREFERRED_VERSION_db-native assignment would've worked if it hadn't been overridden
by this one.

MV

@ 2016-01-19 18:57   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-01-19 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vuille, Martin (Martin); +Cc: yocto

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 8:13 AM, Vuille, Martin (Martin) <vmartin@avaya.com> wrote:
>
> OK, found the problem.
>
> To achieve my objective, the right approach is to add “AGPL-3.0” to INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE.
> This causes the build to fall back to the older version of db.
>
> However, I figured this out after finding the following line in poky/meta/conf/distro/include/default-versions.inc:
>
>                 PREFERRED_VERSION_db-native = ${@incompatible_license_contains('AGPL-3.0', '5.%', '6.%', d)}
>
> Is it correct that this is an absolute assignment rather than a conditional one? I think my
> PREFERRED_VERSION_db-native assignment would’ve worked if it hadn’t been overridden
> by this one.

its a distro policy based upon licensing if weak assignment is used then the licensing  won’t be able to enforce the decision
if someone overrides it.

> MV

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: PREFERRED_VERSION for native package
@ 2016-01-19 21:11     ` Vuille, Martin (Martin)
> its a distro policy based upon licensing if weak assignment is used then the licensing  won’t be able to enforce the decision
> if someone overrides it.

Thanks, that makes sense.
MV