* Re: 15 April unstable does not handle wave-in
@ 2009-04-15 18:40 Susan Cragin
From: Susan Cragin @ 2009-04-15 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

>>> Please excuse my technical ignorance. Here is everything I know.
>>> My hda-intel card is also not being recognized after installing alsa-driver-unstable. The only thing that works is my usb microphone.
>>> I think that the program is not giving the instruction to have
>>> modules inserted on bootup.
>>> I have attached sample modprobe, aplay, asoundconf, modules,
>>> alsa-base.conf
>>
>>Check /proc/asound/version.  Is it the latest one?
>>
>>> $ modprobe snd-card-hda-intel
>>
>>modprobe snd-hda-intel
>>

>>Takashi
>
>$ sudo cat /proc/asound/version
>Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.19.
>Compiled on Apr 15 2009 for kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (SMP).
>susan@ubuntu:~$ modprobe snd-hda-intel
>WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/oss-compat, it will be ignored in a future release.
>susan@ubuntu:~$

I should mention something else. This happened once before, a couple of weeks ago, I think. Then header updates came out of the Ubuntu-Jaunty repository, and then the problem went away. I wish I had been paying more attention to what happened.
Susan

* Re: 15 April unstable does not handle wave-in
@ 2009-04-16 15:04 Susan Cragin
From: Susan Cragin @ 2009-04-16 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

>Works perfectly. Thank you.
>Susan

Whoops. Spoke too soon. Does not save alsa settings. They have to be re-set after each boot.
Susan

* Re: 15 April unstable does not handle wave-in
@ 2009-04-16 14:12 Susan Cragin
From: Susan Cragin @ 2009-04-16 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

>> Meanwhile, if ca0110 worked fine with unstable tree before, it means that the hda-ca0110 patch can go in to the sound git tree.  This would be a better option for both of us.
>>
>> Now I merged hda-ca0110 patch to sound git tree.
>> So alsa-driver snapshot (no unstable version) should work for your
>> CA0110 board.  Give it a try.
>Takashi

Works perfectly. Thank you.
Susan

* Re: 15 April unstable does not handle wave-in
@ 2009-04-16  7:28     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-04-16  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Susan Cragin; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:24:36 +0200,
I wrote:

> At Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:10:01 +0200,
> I wrote:
> >
> > Meanwhile, if ca0110 worked fine with unstable tree before, it means
> > that the hda-ca0110 patch can go in to the sound git tree.  This would
> > be a better option for both of us.
>
> Now I merged hda-ca0110 patch to sound git tree.
> So alsa-driver snapshot (no unstable version) should work for your
> CA0110 board.  Give it a try.

BTW, when you refer to a snapshot tarball, check HEAD and
alsa-kernel/HEAD files.  They contain the latest commit ids.
If the latest snapshot has a bug, please show the top ids of these
files.  This will be more helpful than the date to identify the
version you are using.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: 15 April unstable does not handle wave-in
@ 2009-04-16  7:24   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-04-16  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Susan Cragin; +Cc: alsa-devel

       [not found] <33412328.1239812032070.JavaMail.root@elwamui-muscovy.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
@ 2009-04-16  6:10 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-04-16  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Susan Cragin; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:13:51 -0400 (GMT-04:00),
Susan Cragin wrote:

> >> Please excuse my technical ignorance. Here is everything I know.
> >> My hda-intel card is also not being recognized after installing alsa-driver-unstable. The only thing that works is my usb microphone.
> >> I think that the program is not giving the instruction to have
> >> modules inserted on bootup.
> >> I have attached sample modprobe, aplay, asoundconf, modules,
> >> alsa-base.conf
> >
> >Check /proc/asound/version.  Is it the latest one?
> >
> >> $ modprobe snd-card-hda-intel
> >
> >modprobe snd-hda-intel
> >

> >Takashi
>
> $ sudo cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.19.
> Compiled on Apr 15 2009 for kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (SMP).

Then it looks OK.

The problem might be a patch currently included in the unstable tree,
which could be broken.  I'll check it later.

@ 2009-04-15 16:17 Susan Cragin
From: Susan Cragin @ 2009-04-15 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

PLEASE IGNORE THE ONE I JUST SENT OFF-LIST. THANKS.

@ 2009-04-15 15:14 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-04-15 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Susan Cragin; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:40:31 -0400 (GMT-04:00),
Susan Cragin wrote:

> >At Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:22:08 -0400 (GMT-04:00),
> >Susan Cragin wrote:
> >>
> >> I just downloaded and installed the unstable snapshot 15-April 9:55.
> >> Both my sound cards are shown by asoundconf, but neither works. The wave-in wave-out is still not recognized.
> >
> >I suppose you are referring to CA0110?  Could you elaborate?
> >
> >The ca0110 codec support itself has no big change.  The last one was
> >in Feb. 18.  The rest is either HD-audio core or PCM core.  But these
> >have little to do with the probing...
> >

> >Takashi
>
> Please excuse my technical ignorance. Here is everything I know.
> My hda-intel card is also not being recognized after installing alsa-driver-unstable. The only thing that works is my usb microphone.
> I think that the program is not giving the instruction to have
> modules inserted on bootup.
> I have attached sample modprobe, aplay, asoundconf, modules,
> alsa-base.conf

Check /proc/asound/version.  Is it the latest one?

> $ modprobe snd-card-hda-intel

modprobe snd-hda-intel

Takashi

* Re: 15 April unstable does not handle wave-in
@ 2009-04-15 14:40 Susan Cragin
From: Susan Cragin @ 2009-04-15 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

>At Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:22:08 -0400 (GMT-04:00),
>Susan Cragin wrote:
>>
>> I just downloaded and installed the unstable snapshot 15-April 9:55.
>> Both my sound cards are shown by asoundconf, but neither works. The wave-in wave-out is still not recognized.
>
>I suppose you are referring to CA0110?  Could you elaborate?
>
>The ca0110 codec support itself has no big change.  The last one was
>in Feb. 18.  The rest is either HD-audio core or PCM core.  But these
>have little to do with the probing...
>

>Takashi

Please excuse my technical ignorance. Here is everything I know.
My hda-intel card is also not being recognized after installing alsa-driver-unstable. The only thing that works is my usb microphone.
I think that the program is not giving the instruction to have modules inserted on bootup.
I have attached sample modprobe, aplay, asoundconf, modules, alsa-base.conf
Susan

$ modprobe snd-card-hda-intel
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/oss-compat, it will be ignored in a future release.
FATAL: Module snd_card_hda_intel not found.
oss-compat is already the newest version.

$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: system [iMic USB audio system], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ asoundconf list
Names of available sound cards:
Intel
Generic  (this is my Creative X-fi)
system   (this is my USB microphone)

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

loop
lp

alsabase.conf

# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
#
# Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-se$
#
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88_alsa index=-2
options saa7134-alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
# Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
# Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2

* Re: 15 April unstable does not handle wave-in
@ 2009-04-15 13:07 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-04-15 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Susan Cragin; +Cc: alsa-devel

@ 2009-04-15 11:22 Susan Cragin
From: Susan Cragin @ 2009-04-15 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

I just downloaded and installed the unstable snapshot 15-April 9:55.
Both my sound cards are shown by asoundconf, but neither works. The wave-in wave-out is still not recognized.
(USB sound does work.)

System:
Asus G1S running Ubuntu Jaunty with all updates (most recent kernel is only 2.6.28-11-Generic).
Sound cards present:
hda-intel / Realtek ALC660-VD
hda-audio-generic / Creative CA0110-IBG (Creative X-fi)