* meta-java Workflow
@ 2016-01-13 18:03 Jens Rehsack
From: Jens Rehsack @ 2016-01-13 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Otavio Salvador

to avoid such a problem as it occurred with ec7b984f, 04d5d0bf and dfb21b44, I strongly suggest that meta-java follows the merge-workflow from other meta-layers:

cherry-pick new stuff into master-next, when settled - merge to master
Branch releases as other layers do and same, push back-ported patches into ${rel_branch}-next and merge the behaving ones into ${rel_branch}.

The current way - pushing to master and live only there result in the happened revert - and to continue my work I would have to revert the reverts without any nice word in the commit message as I did in reverting 24b98ac3 with a88718b6.

Cheers
--
Jens Rehsack - rehsack@gmail.com

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: meta-java Workflow
@ 2016-01-13 18:38 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2016-01-13 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenEmbedded Devel List

Hello Jens,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Jens Rehsack <rehsack@gmail.com> wrote:
> to avoid such a problem as it occurred with ec7b984f, 04d5d0bf and dfb21b44, I strongly suggest that meta-java follows the merge-workflow from other meta-layers:
>
> cherry-pick new stuff into master-next, when settled - merge to master
> Branch releases as other layers do and same, push back-ported patches into ${rel_branch}-next and merge the behaving ones into ${rel_branch}.
>
> The current way - pushing to master and live only there result in the happened revert - and to continue my work I would have to revert the reverts without any nice word in the commit message as I did in reverting 24b98ac3 with a88718b6.

I understand your frustation but I think you are exagerating on this.

The fix you provide (and was reverted by causing regression at that
moment) is a great improvement and those should be brought back. To
bring it back, as I explained on the Hangout, you can revert those and
apply the fix for the sstate. Doing this, we can integrate those
changes back and everyone is happy.

To make all this setup you are asking for, I need to reserve resources
in our autobuilder to properly excercize it and provide useful
feedback otherwise it is useless. To be honest, I am not being an
active user of this and been acting as maintainer just due the lack of
someone more active so I am willing to give the maintenance for
someone more commited to Java use than me, if desired.

* Re: meta-java Workflow
@ 2016-01-14 12:40 ` Maxin B. John
From: Maxin B. John @ 2016-01-14 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Rehsack; +Cc: openembedded-devel, Otavio Salvador

Hi Jens,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 07:03:51PM +0100, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to avoid such a problem as it occurred with ec7b984f, 04d5d0bf and dfb21b44, I strongly suggest that meta-java follows the merge-workflow from other meta-layers:
>
> cherry-pick new stuff into master-next, when settled - merge to master

Agree with this suggestion. Current state of meta-java isn't that great
mostly because of the absence of a Continuous Integration process.

I have briefly tried to incorporate automated testing for meta-java layer
in github using travic CI. However, it is not yet completed due to space
limitation and timeout problems in Travis CI. Hoping to fix that soon.

https://github.com/maxinbjohn/meta-java/blob/master/.travis.yml

> Branch releases as other layers do and same, push back-ported patches into ${rel_branch}-next and merge the behaving ones into ${rel_branch}.
>
> The current way - pushing to master and live only there result in the happened revert - and to continue my work I would have to revert the reverts without any nice word in the commit message as I did in reverting 24b98ac3 with a88718b6.
>
> Cheers
> Jens Rehsack - rehsack@gmail.com

Best Regards,
Maxin

* Re: meta-java Workflow
@ 2016-01-15  3:29   ` Huang, Jie (Jackie)
From: Huang, Jie (Jackie) @ 2016-01-15  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

I agree to improve this so it should be able to avoid some regression issues.

> > The current way - pushing to master and live only there result in the happened revert - and to
> continue my work I would have to revert the reverts without any nice word in the commit message as

I left the detail message in the following commit, if that didn't have nice word, sorry about that, but I just
tried to explain the regression issue I found and how I fix it.

> I did in reverting 24b98ac3 with a88718b6.
>
> I understand your frustation but I think you are exagerating on this.

I have the same feeling, if there is no regression issue, I believe no one like to revert anything.

> The fix you provide (and was reverted by causing regression at that
> moment) is a great improvement and those should be brought back. To
> bring it back, as I explained on the Hangout, you can revert those and
> apply the fix for the sstate. Doing this, we can integrate those
> changes back and everyone is happy.

I agree, I will be happy if there is a better fix.

Thanks,
Jackie

> To make all this setup you are asking for, I need to reserve resources
> in our autobuilder to properly excercize it and provide useful
> feedback otherwise it is useless. To be honest, I am not being an
> active user of this and been acting as maintainer just due the lack of
> someone more active so I am willing to give the maintenance for
> someone more commited to Java use than me, if desired.
>
> --
> Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
> http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://code.ossystems.com.br
> Mobile: +55 (53) 9981-7854            Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750

* Re: meta-java Workflow
@ 2016-01-15  9:26   ` Jens Rehsack
From: Jens Rehsack @ 2016-01-15  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Otavio Salvador