* How to integrate external repo into existing directory of a bigger repo (git subtree)?
@ 2020-12-24 14:53 Manuel Reimer
From: Manuel Reimer @ 2020-12-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

some while ago (before I found out that "git subtree" exists), I've set
up a big GIT repo consisting of several smaller modules. It was way more
convenient to maintain them all in one repository compared to having
each in its own repository.

As I need a separate repository per module for technical reasons, I
wrote a shellscript which temporarily checks out the external
repository, deletes all files, places the files from my big repo,
creates a generic commit with auto-generated commit message and then
pushes this to the server.

So what I have now is:

- Big repo consisting of many small modules, each one in its own
   directory with proper commit messages
- Several external repositories with autogenerated commit messages

What I want to do is porting this over to "git subtree" somehow, but:

- I would prefer to not loose history in the "big repo"
- I can't force-push to the small external repositories (blocked)

Is there any chance to somehow "restart" the history of an existing
directory in a way to reproduce the commits of the external repository
so "git subtree" works as intended and I can "git subtree push" without
running into the server side "force push" block? I know that
reorganizing my whole big repo would do the trick as the subtree would
be added to a directory that never existed, but I would prefer to keep
it organized the way it is.

Thanks in advance

Manuel