* [Buildroot] bash instead of busybox
@ 2011-08-25 16:56 Charles Krinke
From: Charles Krinke @ 2011-08-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Gentlemen:

I have a request to build a rootfs.jffs2 for an MPC8323 with bash
instead of busybox. So, ... I unset busybox in buildroot's make
xconfig and set bash. Then do a "make clean && make". At the end of
this, I see the two lines from makedevs. And, of course, to make it
worse, after I load it into the flash and boot from it, I do get a
shell of the form "sh-4.1#", so at least the file system boots. I
*think* at this point that a number of packages need to be added
starting with say, "ls" which I *think* is in the fileutils package.

I dont see fileutils as a package option in the buildroot xconfig.

Can someone offer a suggestion or two to a naive programmer to help
find some of the essential packages that are now missing?

>>>   Generating root filesystem image rootfs.jffs2
...table='target/generic/device_table.txt'
makedevs: line 42: regular file
'/home/ckrinke/asvn/trunk/buildroot-glibc/output/target/bin/busybox'
does not exist: No such file or directory
makedevs: line 49: regular file
'/home/ckrinke/asvn/trunk/buildroot-glibc/output/target/usr/share/udhcpc/default.script'
does not exist: No such file or directory

--
Charles Krinke

* [Buildroot] bash instead of busybox
@ 2011-08-25 18:17 ` Robin Holt
From: Robin Holt @ 2011-08-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 09:56:38AM -0700, Charles Krinke wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> I have a request to build a rootfs.jffs2 for an MPC8323 with bash
> instead of busybox. So, ... I unset busybox in buildroot's make
> xconfig and set bash. Then do a "make clean && make". At the end of
> this, I see the two lines from makedevs. And, of course, to make it
> worse, after I load it into the flash and boot from it, I do get a
> shell of the form "sh-4.1#", so at least the file system boots. I
> *think* at this point that a number of packages need to be added
> starting with say, "ls" which I *think* is in the fileutils package.

I have something similar but did not uncheck busybox.  After bash has
built, it overwrites the /bin/sh symlink to busybox with a (IIRC) hard
link to bash.  That should work for you and keep you from having to
build other packages.

I don't recall, but I may have modified the busybox config to not build
the 'sh' parts, but I do not remember and my git repo is not convenient
at this time.

Robin

@ 2011-08-25 18:32   ` Charles Krinke
From: Charles Krinke @ 2011-08-25 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Robin:

I considered that, but am caught in one of the old "the customer says
he doesnt want busybox", so I am trying to find the various packages.
I have gotten some working and am now at the point where the sysvinit
package needs getty. I also havent figured out how to get the
fileutils package into buildroot so I can get things like "ls", but as
I find packages that seem appropriate to buildroot, I can add them and
still boot the rootfilesystem albeit with erros of "cannot execute"
here and there.

Charles

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Robin Holt <holt@sgi.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 09:56:38AM -0700, Charles Krinke wrote:
>> Gentlemen:
>>
>> I have a request to build a rootfs.jffs2 for an MPC8323 with bash
>> instead of busybox. So, ... I unset busybox in buildroot's make
>> xconfig and set bash. Then do a "make clean && make". At the end of
>> this, I see the two lines from makedevs. And, of course, to make it
>> worse, after I load it into the flash and boot from it, I do get a
>> shell of the form "sh-4.1#", so at least the file system boots. I
>> *think* at this point that a number of packages need to be added
>> starting with say, "ls" which I *think* is in the fileutils package.
>
> I have something similar but did not uncheck busybox. ?After bash has
> built, it overwrites the /bin/sh symlink to busybox with a (IIRC) hard
> link to bash. ?That should work for you and keep you from having to
> build other packages.
>
> I don't recall, but I may have modified the busybox config to not build
> the 'sh' parts, but I do not remember and my git repo is not convenient
> at this time.
>
> Robin
>

>> I dont see fileutils as a package option in the buildroot xconfig.
>>
>> Can someone offer a suggestion or two to a naive programmer to help
>> find some of the essential packages that are now missing?

>> ...table='target/generic/device_table.txt'
>> makedevs: line 42: regular file
>> '/home/ckrinke/asvn/trunk/buildroot-glibc/output/target/bin/busybox'
>> does not exist: No such file or directory
>> makedevs: line 49: regular file
>> '/home/ckrinke/asvn/trunk/buildroot-glibc/output/target/usr/share/udhcpc/default.script'
>> does not exist: No such file or directory
>>

>> --
>> Charles Krinke

Charles Krinke

* [Buildroot] bash instead of busybox
@ 2011-08-25 19:14     ` Niall Parker
From: Niall Parker @ 2011-08-25 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 11-08-25 11:32 AM, Charles Krinke wrote:
> Dear Robin:
>
> I considered that, but am caught in one of the old "the customer says
> he doesnt want busybox", so I am trying to find the various packages.
> I have gotten some working and am now at the point where the sysvinit
> package needs getty. I also havent figured out how to get the
> fileutils package into buildroot so I can get things like "ls", but as
> I find packages that seem appropriate to buildroot, I can add them and
> still boot the rootfilesystem albeit with erros of "cannot execute"
> here and there.

As you have found, the buildroot rfs is conventionally used with busybox
for most of the common utilities, you may want to push back on the
customer requirement of "no busybox" and get clarification on whether
they truly want it completely purged or just wanted bash for their shell.

             ... Niall

* [Buildroot] bash instead of busybox
@ 2011-08-26  2:15 ` Gustavo Zacarias
From: Gustavo Zacarias @ 2011-08-26  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:56:38 -0700, Charles Krinke wrote:

> Gentlemen:
>
> I have a request to build a rootfs.jffs2 for an MPC8323 with bash
> instead of busybox. So, ... I unset busybox in buildroot's make
> xconfig and set bash. Then do a "make clean && make". At the end of
> this, I see the two lines from makedevs. And, of course, to make it
> worse, after I load it into the flash and boot from it, I do get a
> shell of the form "sh-4.1#", so at least the file system boots. I
> *think* at this point that a number of packages need to be added
> starting with say, "ls" which I *think* is in the fileutils package.
>
> I dont see fileutils as a package option in the buildroot xconfig.
>
> Can someone offer a suggestion or two to a naive programmer to help
> find some of the essential packages that are now missing?

You want coreutils for ls & friends.
Probably also util-linux for mount and other friends.
Sysvinit for some nice init otherwise you'll have a hard time too.
There are other packages you might want too, like some dev manager now
that you'll lack mdev, udev maybe? Or a static /dev tree.
You see, if they really don't want busybox the filesystem footprint
will grow considerably, maybe that's not an issue.
If it's a license thing, well, good luck, most of the other tools
busybox replaces are GPL too.
Regards.