* Round-Trip Time Requester with Xenomai / RTnet on Beaglebone Black
@ 2019-06-05 10:30 danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-06-05 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hello,

I am using two Beaglebone Black with Linux kernel version 3.8.13 and
Xenomai version 2.6.3. I have built the Kernel with Xenomai and RTnet with
buildroot. At the moment I am trying to use the provided source-files
"rtt-sender" and "rtt-responder" for sending some "Round-Trip Time Request".
I have changed my destination IP in "rtt-responder" to my destination BBB.
I did not do any other changes. Then I did run "rtt-responder" on BBB2 and
"rtt-sender" on BBB1 but I always get the following error:
[image: image.png]
Can anyone tell me why I do get that error?
In order to this I need to say that both BBB's get a random MAC-Adress
after each boot. That means I need to tell each BBB which MAC adress
belongs to which IP-Adress. For example BBB1 has IP 192.168.127.10 with MAC
AA:AA:AA:AA:AA and BBB2 has IP 192.168.127.11 with MAC BB:BB:BB:BB:BB I
need to execute the following commands:

For BBB1: rtroute add 192.168.127.11 BB:BB:BB:BB:BB dev rteth0
For BBB2: rtroute add 192.168.127.10 AA:AA:AA:AA:AA dev rteth0

Now it is possible to send rtpings with the command: rtping 192.168.127.10
or rtping 192.168.127.11. Depens on which BBB you want to send the ping.

So my idea was it is only possible to run the "rtt-sender" and
"rtt-responder" file when my BBB's know which MAC belongs to which IP.

But there is still the error, that the Network is unreachable. Why?

You can find the source-files enclosed.

Kind Regards
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-06-06  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 05.06.19 12:30, danwe via Xenomai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using two Beaglebone Black with Linux kernel version 3.8.13 and
> Xenomai version 2.6.3. I have built the Kernel with Xenomai and RTnet with

Why did you choose these old versions? The problem might be unrelated, but it's
now impossible for us to reproduce easily.

Where did you get the RTnet Ethernet driver from? It's not upstream as far as I
know. Was that source the reason for this version choice?

> buildroot. At the moment I am trying to use the provided source-files
> "rtt-sender" and "rtt-responder" for sending some "Round-Trip Time Request".
> I have changed my destination IP in "rtt-responder" to my destination BBB.
> I did not do any other changes. Then I did run "rtt-responder" on BBB2 and
> "rtt-sender" on BBB1 but I always get the following error:
> [image: image.png]

Better copy&paste the text from the console than taking screenshots.

The error messages could indicate that those tools are trying to use regular
Linux sockets, not RTnet ones. Did you compile them manually, or where they
built by the Xenomai build system? Check if they refer to symbols like
"__wrap_socket", rather than just "socket".

Jan

@ 2019-06-06 10:00     ` Jan Kiszka
       [not found]       ` <CAEmXcAxs3O_Hmph-48JArHgCmWSj+wAiffkNCZKiL9uVew6irg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-06-06 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, Xenomai

[Re-adding the list]

On 06.06.19 11:40, danwe wrote:
> Hello Jan,
>
> yes the source for RTnet was the reason for the version choice. I did get the
> whole operation system (with Kernel, Xenomai, RTnet) from one programmer who
> made it out of buildroot and who said that RTnet is only working on BBB if you
> use that version. It may work on Xenomai 3 but you have to do some config
> operations and I do not have time in my research work for changing to Xenomai 3.
> The whole Xenomai 2 thing was made before in a research work.
> I do have two source-files working under RTnet where no error occur. These
> source-files like "raw-ethernet.c" or "rtping.c" did come with the buildroot. So
> did the files "rtt-sender" and "rtt-responder" come from. Those files were
> developed for using RTnet. I did compile theses files by using a makefile which
> is necessary for that operation system which was build by buildroot. I have used
> that makefile for e.g. "raw-ethernet" and it's working finde.

And this manual step is very likely the source for the error. Make sure you
build and link with the proper flags provided by xeno-config.

Jan

> [...]
>      >
>      > So my idea was it is only possible to run the "rtt-sender" and
>      > "rtt-responder" file when my BBB's know which MAC belongs to which IP.
>      >
>      > But there is still the error, that the Network is unreachable. Why?
>      >
>      > You can find the source-files enclosed.
>      >
>      > Kind Regards
>      > -------------- next part --------------
>      > A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
>      > Name: image.png
>      > Type: image/png
>      > Size: 13271 bytes
>      > Desc: not available
>      >

>     --
>     Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA IOT SES-DE
>     Corporate Competence Center Embedded Linux

* Fwd: Round-Trip Time Requester with Xenomai / RTnet on Beaglebone Black
       [not found]         ` <22b6931e-8f7b-0cae-2316-5b278d1186d6@siemens.com>
@ 2019-06-06 17:50           ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-06-06 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-06-07  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 06.06.19 19:50, danwe via Xenomai wrote:

> On 06.06.19 12:10, danwe wrote:
>> Oh that's what I'm doing. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
>> There is a provided makefile for all source-files which needs to be
> compiled.
>> When I like to compile a source-file I do need to set some flags (will be
> done
>> in Makefile) and set some variables (will be done by export commands). I
> am
>> setting DESTDIR variable because it is using by xeno-config.
>> So before I am compile anything with makefile I am using the following
> commands
>> in the Linux terminal of Virtual Box where my Makefile is located:
>>
>> $ export DESTDIR=~/Desktop/compile/Daniel/buildroot-2014.08/output/staging
>>
>> $ export
>>
> PATH=~/Desktop/compile/Daniel/buildroot-2014.08/output/host/usr/bin:$DESTDIR/usr/bin:$PATH
>>

>> And now I can compile source-files with my Makefile. If I do not export
> these
>> variables I do get error while compiling or at least I do get some
> warnings. Now
>> with export commands and my Makefile I do not get any errors or warnings
> and
>> some programs are running (like "raw-ethernet" provided by buildroot) but
> one
>> error with the "rtt-sender" file.
>>
>> The Makefile is the following:
>>
>> # Allow overriding xeno-config on make command line
>> XENO_CONFIG := xeno-config
>>
>> prefix := $(shell $(XENO_CONFIG) --prefix)
>>
>> ifeq ($(prefix),)
>> $(error Please add <xenomai-install-path>/bin to your PATH variable)
>> endif
>>
>> CC := $(shell $(XENO_CONFIG) --skin=native --cc)
>> STD_CFLAGS  := $(shell $(XENO_CONFIG) --skin=native --cflags) -g
>> STD_LDFLAGS := $(shell $(XENO_CONFIG) --skin=native --ldflags) -g -lrtdm

The rtt examples are using the posix skin, not "native". So your makefile fails
to wrap socket, sendmsg etc. calls to the Xenomai implementation.

Jan

@ 2019-06-07  8:09               ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-06-07  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

I'm sorry I did upload the old Makefile as I had a source-file which was
using the "native" skin. For "rtt-sender" and "rtt-responder" I was using
the posix skin. Otherwise it would throw "undefined reference" error and I
it would not be able to compile my source-file. So I did use POSIX skin and
the compiling was successful but there is still the error that the network
is not reachable when I'm running "rtt-sender". By running "rtt-responder"
no error occurs.. Any other ideas? Could it be a problem that I have to
define which MAC belongs to which IP address like I described before?

Regards

Daniel

Am Fr., 7. Juni 2019 um 07:00 Uhr schrieb Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com

@ 2019-06-07  8:40                 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-06-07  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 07.06.19 10:09, danwe wrote:
> I'm sorry I did upload the old Makefile as I had a source-file which was using
> the "native" skin. For "rtt-sender" and "rtt-responder" I was using the posix
> skin. Otherwise it would throw "undefined reference" error and I it would not be
> able to compile my source-file. So I did use POSIX skin and the compiling was
> successful but there is still the error that the network is not reachable when
> I'm running "rtt-sender". By running "rtt-responder" no error occurs.. Any other
> ideas? Could it be a problem that I have to define which MAC belongs to which IP
> address like I described before?

As I suggested in my first reply: Check if the generated binary actually uses
__wrap_socket, __wrap_ioctl etc., or if it calls directly the non-rt glibc
services. Eg., "readelf -a" can provide that information.

Jan

@ 2019-06-07  9:40                   ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-06-07  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

I have checked what the generated binary is using.
E.g. it is using lines like:

19: 00008bc8   0 FUNC   GLOBAL DEFAULT UND ioct1@GLIBC_2.4 (3)
45: 00008cc4   0 FUNC   GLOBAL DEFAULT UND socket@GLIBC_2.4 (3)

Does that mean that it is using the non-rt glibc services? If so then I do
not understand one thing: the file "raw-ethernet" is a example where it
uses the same ioct1@GLIBC and socket@GLIBC but it does not throw the
"network is unreachable error".
But how can I change that it is using the __wrap_socket?

Daniel

Am Fr., 7. Juni 2019 um 10:40 Uhr schrieb Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com

@ 2019-06-07 10:15                     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-06-07 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 07.06.19 11:40, danwe wrote:
> I have checked what the generated binary is using.
> E.g. it is using lines like:
>
> 19: 00008bc8   0 FUNC   GLOBAL DEFAULT UND ioct1@GLIBC_2.4 (3)
> 45: 00008cc4   0 FUNC   GLOBAL DEFAULT UND socket@GLIBC_2.4 (3)
>
> Does that mean that it is using the non-rt glibc services? If so then I do not
> understand one thing: the file "raw-ethernet" is a example where it uses the
> same ioct1@GLIBC and socket@GLIBC but it does not throw the "network is
> unreachable error".
> But how can I change that it is using the __wrap_socket?

Compare the invoked gcc command line with the output of "xeno-config
--skin=posix --ldflags". Something is preventing the the required flags make it
into your build. Also try building manually, to exclude flaws in your buildroot
environment.

Does "raw-ethernet rteth0" actually work? Or are you calling "raw-ethernet eth0"
by accident?

Jan

* Re: Fwd: Round-Trip Time Requester with Xenomai / RTnet on Beaglebone Black
@ 2019-06-07 10:22                       ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-06-07 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

Raw-ethernet rteth0 does work. See the output:

# /usr/examples/xenomai/posix/raw-ethernet eth0
cannot get interface index: No such device
# /usr/examples/xenomai/posix/raw-ethernet rteth0
Sent frame of 1514 bytes
Sent frame of 1514 bytes
Sent frame of 1514 bytes
Sent frame of 1514 bytes
shutting down

So should I compare the invoked gcc command line with the output of
"xeno-config
--skin=posix --ldflags"? Can that be possible if "raw-ethernet" is working?

Daniel

Am Fr., 7. Juni 2019 um 12:15 Uhr schrieb Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com

@ 2019-06-07 11:48                         ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-06-07 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 07.06.19 12:22, danwe wrote:
> Raw-ethernet rteth0 does work. See the output:
>
> # /usr/examples/xenomai/posix/raw-ethernet eth0
> cannot get interface index: No such device
> # /usr/examples/xenomai/posix/raw-ethernet rteth0
> Sent frame of 1514 bytes
> Sent frame of 1514 bytes
> Sent frame of 1514 bytes
> Sent frame of 1514 bytes
> shutting down
>
> So should I compare the invoked gcc command line with the output of "xeno-config
> --skin=posix --ldflags"? Can that be possible if "raw-ethernet" is working?

It doesn't make sense yet, I agree - unless there is RTmac with its vnic also
loaded so that you have rteth0 on the Linux side as well (check ifconfig -a).

Jan

@ 2019-06-12  6:48                           ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-06-12  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

I have checked ifconifg -a and rtifconfig -a. For my "rtt-sender" do I have
to use my IP address 192.168.127.11 or my internet address 127.0.0.1?
Output:
# rtifconfig -a
rteth0    Medium: Ethernet  Hardware address: 86:98:B3:8B:88:B4
          IP address: 192.168.127.11  Broadcast address: 192.168.127.255
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU: 1500
          collisions:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

# ifconfig -a
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Am Fr., 7. Juni 2019 um 13:48 Uhr schrieb Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com