* meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-20  2:04 Nicolas Dechesne
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2013-06-20  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

hi there,

not sure if this is the right place to ask... but since i am about to ask
about QT5, OE and TI platforms, i am starting here!

so, i read a couple of blog posts about getting Qt5 on beaglebone, however
it's not clear to me what's the latest status is. has anybody been able to
use/enable OpenGLes either with KMS, or directfb or eglfs platform driver?
The only thing i have seen are references to using the 'minimal' platform
driver.

if so, can i get some pointers?

thanks!

nicolas

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-20  2:09 ` Sundareson, Prabindh
From: Sundareson, Prabindh @ 2013-06-20  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne, meta-ti

Are you asking about the status in general (ie, outside of the yocto infrastructure) ? In general, eglfs,kms has been proven working for more than a year now.

Within meta-ti, eglfs should work if the display driver is available (fb or drm). The only reason I stopped at "minimal" on Beaglebone was because the "display" driver part was not integrated at that time on Beaglebone (in meta-ti) and hence OpenGL ES driver couldn't be installed.

regards,
Prabindh

@ 2013-06-20  2:15 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2013-06-20  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:04:27PM -0400, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> hi there,
>
> not sure if this is the right place to ask... but since i am about to ask
> about QT5, OE and TI platforms, i am starting here!
>
> so, i read a couple of blog posts about getting Qt5 on beaglebone, however
> it's not clear to me what's the latest status is. has anybody been able to
> use/enable OpenGLes either with KMS, or directfb or eglfs platform driver?
> The only thing i have seen are references to using the 'minimal' platform
> driver.
>
> if so, can i get some pointers?

Have you seen those multiple iterations of libgles-omap3 patches from Prabu
we've been discussing here lately? Those are one of the necessary steps in
getting Qt5 on our platforms (although w/o OMAP4/OMAP5 support)...

I have few fixes on top of the latest patchset that I have been playing with
in the past few days - I was planning on pushing all that soon.

--
Denys

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-20  2:16   ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2013-06-20  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sundareson, Prabindh; +Cc: meta-ti

Prabu,

Do you have any plans extending it in meta-ti?

--
Denys

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 02:09:42AM +0000, Sundareson, Prabindh wrote:
> Are you asking about the status in general (ie, outside of the yocto
> infrastructure) ? In general, eglfs,kms has been proven working for more
> than a year now.
>
> Within meta-ti, eglfs should work if the display driver is available (fb or
> drm). The only reason I stopped at "minimal" on Beaglebone was because the
> "display" driver part was not integrated at that time on Beaglebone (in
> meta-ti) and hence OpenGL ES driver couldn't be installed.
>
> regards,
> Prabindh

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-20  2:38   ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2013-06-20  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sundareson, Prabindh; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Sundareson, Prabindh <prabu@ti.com> wrote:

> Are you asking about the status in general (ie, outside of the yocto
> infrastructure) ? In general, eglfs,kms has been proven working for more
> than a year now.****
>
> ** **
>
> Within meta-ti, eglfs should work if the display driver is available (fb
> or drm). The only reason I stopped at “minimal” on Beaglebone was because
> the “display” driver part was not integrated at that time on Beaglebone (in
> meta-ti) and hence OpenGL ES driver couldn’t be installed.****
>
> **

well, thanks for the quick answer. yes, i meant within OE, using meta-qt5.
it's good to know that it's working outside of it, though.

do you have instructions (conf files + scripts) to run Qt5 + eglfs (and
kms) as platform driver?

thanks

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-20  2:45     ` Sundareson, Prabindh
From: Sundareson, Prabindh @ 2013-06-20  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmytriyenko, Denys; +Cc: meta-ti

Denys,

Yes, Getting Qt5 (specifically, qtbase) with eglfs (and next kms) with meta-qt5 + meta-ti is the goal.

regards,
Prabu

Do you have any plans extending it in meta-ti?

--
Denys

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 02:09:42AM +0000, Sundareson, Prabindh wrote:
> Are you asking about the status in general (ie, outside of the yocto
> infrastructure) ? In general, eglfs,kms has been proven working for more
> than a year now.
>
> Within meta-ti, eglfs should work if the display driver is available (fb or
> drm). The only reason I stopped at "minimal" on Beaglebone was because the
> "display" driver part was not integrated at that time on Beaglebone (in
> meta-ti) and hence OpenGL ES driver couldn't be installed.
>
> regards,
> Prabindh

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-20  3:01     ` Sundareson, Prabindh
From: Sundareson, Prabindh @ 2013-06-20  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: meta-ti

Yocto builds:

http://gpupowered.org/node/20

Standalone builds:

http://gpupowered.org/node/21

regards,
Prabu

@ 2013-06-20  4:14       ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2013-06-20  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sundareson, Prabindh; +Cc: meta-ti

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM, Sundareson, Prabindh <prabu@ti.com> wrote:

> Yocto builds:****
>
> ** **
>
> http://gpupowered.org/node/20****
>
> ** **
>
> Standalone builds:****
>
> ** **
>
> http://gpupowered.org/node/21****
>
> ** **

yes, that's the blog posts, i had read. but that doesn't deal with eglfs.

i was trying to build qt5 with eglfs support using something like this:

+GL_DEPENDS = "virtual/libgles2 virtual/egl"
+QT_GLFLAGS = "-opengl es2 -eglfs"

since i don't have x11 support in my distro (on purpose), qt5base fails to
configure properly since the EGL auto detect fails to build for that reason:

| EGL auto-detection... ()
| compiling
/work/rdk/build-dylan-qemuarm/tmp/work/armv5te-rdk-linux-gnueabi/qtbase/5.0.2-r2.0/qtbase-opensource-src-5.0.2/config.tests/qpa/egl/egl.cpp
| In file included from
/work/rdk/build-dylan-qemuarm/tmp/sysroots/qemuarm/usr/include/EGL/egl.h:36:0,
|                  from
/work/rdk/build-dylan-qemuarm/tmp/work/armv5te-rdk-linux-gnueabi/qtbase/5.0.2-r2.0/qtbase-opensource-src-5.0.2/config.tests/qpa/egl/egl.cpp:42:

/work/rdk/build-dylan-qemuarm/tmp/sysroots/qemuarm/usr/include/EGL/eglplatform.h:118:22:
fatal error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
| compilation terminated.
| make: *** [egl.o] Error 1
| EGL disabled.

have you started to look into enabling eglfs in the build?

nicolas

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-20  4:34         ` Sundareson, Prabindh
From: Sundareson, Prabindh @ 2013-06-20  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: meta-ti

The instructions build eglfs as well (without xcb), as in the below patch. Just that I cannot test it on platform due to the absence of GLES2 driver.  verbose flag in the qt configuration (qt5.inc) would help debug what is going wrong.

https://github.com/prabindh/meta-qt5/commit/c8129fb5057f9254c773f82d2fdbd85d9c56410a

regards,
Prabu

@ 2013-06-20  4:46           ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2013-06-20  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sundareson, Prabindh; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Sundareson, Prabindh <prabu@ti.com> wrote:

> The instructions build eglfs as well (without xcb), as in the below patch.
> Just that I cannot test it on platform due to the absence of GLES2 driver.
>  verbose flag in the qt configuration (qt5.inc) would help debug what is
> going wrong.****
>
> ** **
>

> https://github.com/prabindh/meta-qt5/commit/c8129fb5057f9254c773f82d2fdbd85d9c56410a
> ****

yeah, i am using something similar *but* i do not have x11 in
DISTRO_FEATURES, and i suspect you might have it, right? without X11
feature, the x11 -dev packages are pulled/installed, and then the qtbase
configure script will fail to 'check' for EGL.

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-20  4:55             ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2013-06-20  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:46:21AM -0400, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Sundareson, Prabindh <prabu@ti.com> wrote:
>
> > The instructions build eglfs as well (without xcb), as in the below patch.
> > Just that I cannot test it on platform due to the absence of GLES2 driver.
> >  verbose flag in the qt configuration (qt5.inc) would help debug what is
> > going wrong.****
> >
> > ** **
> >

> > https://github.com/prabindh/meta-qt5/commit/c8129fb5057f9254c773f82d2fdbd85d9c56410a
> > ****
> >

> yeah, i am using something similar *but* i do not have x11 in
> DISTRO_FEATURES, and i suspect you might have it, right? without X11
> feature, the x11 -dev packages are pulled/installed, and then the qtbase
> configure script will fail to 'check' for EGL.

Heh, I was having similar issues with Prabu's recent libgles-omap3 patches.
It would try to pull x11 packages due to -dev dependencies and complain that
DISTRO_FEATURES lacks X11 setting... It's not exactly the same issue, but
seems related.

--
Denys

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-20  5:03               ` Sundareson, Prabindh
From: Sundareson, Prabindh @ 2013-06-20  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmytriyenko, Denys, Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: meta-ti

I have validated libgles-omap3 on the AMSDK 5.07 build configuration (that does not have X11 enabled), so what you faced may be a different issue on the libgles front.

I would wait for the verbose log from Nicolas for the qt5 issue he faced,

regards,
Prabu

@ 2013-06-20  5:27 ` Richard Röjfors
From: Richard Röjfors @ 2013-06-20  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: meta-ti

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:04 AM, Nicolas Dechesne
<nicolas.dechesne@linaro.org> wrote:

> hi there,
>
> not sure if this is the right place to ask... but since i am about to ask about QT5, OE and TI platforms, i am starting here!
>
> so, i read a couple of blog posts about getting Qt5 on beaglebone, however it's not clear to me what's the latest status is. has anybody been able to use/enable OpenGLes either with KMS, or directfb or eglfs platform driver? The only thing i have seen are references to using the 'minimal' platform driver.
>
> if so, can i get some pointers?

I use Qt5 on pandaboard, with the Qt5 kms driver. There are some
things needed to be done in Qt5 KMS to make it link with the OMAP4 PVR
headers. And since you don't support the hardware pointer that code
has to be avoided.

--Richard

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-20  5:52                 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2013-06-20  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sundareson, Prabindh; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 01:03:04AM -0400, Sundareson, Prabindh wrote:
> I have validated libgles-omap3 on the AMSDK 5.07 build configuration (that
> does not have X11 enabled), so what you faced may be a different issue on
> the libgles front.

Correct, becasue your patches were missing the actual x11 recipe, which I had
to add - see my other email earlier. :)  But I agree - it's a slightly
different issue.

> I would wait for the verbose log from Nicolas for the qt5 issue he faced,
>
> regards,
> Prabu

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-21  4:50                 ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2013-06-21  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sundareson, Prabindh; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM, Sundareson, Prabindh <prabu@ti.com> wrote:

> I have validated libgles-omap3 on the AMSDK 5.07 build configuration (that
> does not have X11 enabled), so what you faced may be a different issue on
> the libgles front.
>
> I would wait for the verbose log from Nicolas for the qt5 issue he faced,

so, my issue was related to mesa in fact !

you can read that thread if you are interested:
http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2013-June/080205.html

basically, i was building for qemuarm, so with mesa, and it's mesa that
doesn't work fine if X11 is not in DISTRO.

thanks anyways for all the support/discussion.

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-21  7:49                   ` Sundareson, Prabindh
From: Sundareson, Prabindh @ 2013-06-21  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: meta-ti

So, is Mesa providing libegl in your case ?

regards,
Prabu

@ 2013-06-24 20:19                     ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2013-06-24 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sundareson, Prabindh; +Cc: meta-ti

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Sundareson, Prabindh <prabu@ti.com> wrote:

> So, is Mesa providing libegl in your case ?****

yes. but that was 'just' for sanity testing the build.

have you tested Qt5 + eglfs + EGL? Who provides the EGL in that case, is
that something you created/modified, or is it coming straight from IMG?

* Re: meta-ti + meta-qt5
@ 2013-06-25  1:15                       ` Sundareson, Prabindh
From: Sundareson, Prabindh @ 2013-06-25  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: meta-ti

Nicolas,

Yes - the SGX libraries are standard, but Qt5 eglfs required a patch,

regards,
Prabu