* [U-Boot] stuck after redirecting stdout to nc
@ 2012-01-02 14:50 ran shalit
From: ran shalit @ 2012-01-02 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello,

On uboot loading, I checking a specific environement (called consoleddev),
to decide to rediect console to nc or staying in serial.
I then see some strange behaviour:
if the environment tell uboot to redirect to net console, everything works
well, but only if the ethernet cable is connected. if it is not connected
then I see that the kernel is not loading.

*relevant environemets:
ncip 192.168.3.10
ipaddr 192.168.3.33

I would appreciate your advice,

Regards,

Ran

* [U-Boot] stuck after redirecting stdout to nc
@ 2012-01-05 23:26 ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2012-01-05 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Monday 02 January 2012 09:50:42 ran shalit wrote:
> On uboot loading, I checking a specific environement (called consoleddev),
> to decide to rediect console to nc or staying in serial.
> I then see some strange behaviour:
> if the environment tell uboot to redirect to net console, everything works
> well, but only if the ethernet cable is connected. if it is not connected
> then I see that the kernel is not loading.

there could easily be a bug where netconsole does not work if the network is
not available.  patches welcome to add timeouts.
-mike
* [U-Boot] stuck after redirecting stdout to nc
@ 2012-01-06  8:18   ` Ran Shalit
From: Ran Shalit @ 2012-01-06  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Monday 02 January 2012 09:50:42 ran shalit wrote:
> > On uboot loading, I checking a specific environement (called
> consoleddev),
> > to decide to rediect console to nc or staying in serial.
> > I then see some strange behaviour:
> > if the environment tell uboot to redirect to net console, everything
> works
> > well, but only if the ethernet cable is connected. if it is not connected
> > then I see that the kernel is not loading.
>
> there could easily be a bug where netconsole does not work if the network
> is
> not available.  patches welcome to add timeouts.
> -mike

Do you think such bug is independent of architecture type ?

* [U-Boot] stuck after redirecting stdout to nc
@ 2012-01-06  9:18     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2012-01-06  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Ran Shalit,

In message <CAJ2oMhKLcdT_NFjbfcJ4O7kGz+B-TK93MWynb4=F02iLnBB=sQ@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Do you think such bug is independent of architecture type ?

This is impossible to say without knowing where and what the bug is.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - "I think that I  think,  therefore  I
think that I am."          - Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

* [U-Boot] stuck after redirecting stdout to nc
@ 2012-01-06  9:52       ` Ran Shalit
From: Ran Shalit @ 2012-01-06  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:

> Dear Ran Shalit,
>
> In message <CAJ2oMhKLcdT_NFjbfcJ4O7kGz+B-TK93MWynb4=F02iLnBB=
> sQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> >
> > Do you think such bug is independent of architecture type ?
>
> This is impossible to say without knowing where and what the bug is.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk
>

> You're right.
What I did see in my tests is as follows:
1. only if there is connection to PC and the PC's interface ip is the same
as the ncip environement, then and only then, I see that the u-boot finish
its job and starts the bootcmd, and loading the kernel. I also see the
u-boot prints in the ethernet if I start netconsole, but event without
starting netconsole, the kernel starts (as expected)
2. Otherwise, if the network interface ip is not the same as ncip, or cable
is disconnected the u-boot does not start bootcmd, and I actually do not
know where it stoped and why.

Please tell me if you have any advice where to look, and what should be
checked,

Best Regards,
Ran

* [U-Boot] stuck after redirecting stdout to nc
@ 2012-01-06 23:14         ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2012-01-06 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Ran Shalit,

In message <CAJ2oMh+D0MKGXYiAvjy-uGA3DCssJPCn=N0Fm5vC7j4h34XQ3g@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> 2. Otherwise, if the network interface ip is not the same as ncip, or cable
> is disconnected the u-boot does not start bootcmd, and I actually do not
> know where it stoped and why.
>
> Please tell me if you have any advice where to look, and what should be
> checked,

Attach a JTAG debugger and fire up GDB.

And please STOP posting HTML!!

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.