* IRC channels now require registered and identified users
@ 2018-12-18 11:11 Joao Eduardo Luis
       [not found] ` <ce0a9512-e2cc-8eba-6c0e-226c8351bddf-l3A5Bk7waGM@public.gmane.org>
From: Joao Eduardo Luis @ 2018-12-18 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

All,

Earlier this week our IRC channels were set to require users to be
registered and identified before being allowed to join a channel. This
looked like the most reasonable option to combat the onslaught of spam
bots we've been getting in the last weeks/months.

As of today, this is in effect for #ceph, #ceph-devel, #ceph-dashboard,
and #ceph-orchestrators.

If you are unable to join a channel because of this requirement, you
should first register your username with

  /msg nickserv register <password> <email>

and you'll be able to identify yourself with

  /msg nickserv identify <password>

please see [1] for more information on how to use OFTC's services.

  -Joao

[1] https://www.oftc.net/Services/

* Re: IRC channels now require registered and identified users
       [not found] ` <ce0a9512-e2cc-8eba-6c0e-226c8351bddf-l3A5Bk7waGM@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-12-18 11:18   ` Dan van der Ster
       [not found]     ` <CABZ+qqn+iR6j_kk_RsUastNvysbZzUqMRGHfa7P9x+rwCY4M1w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Dan van der Ster @ 2018-12-18 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joao-l3A5Bk7waGM; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Joao,

Has that broken the Slack connection? I can't tell if its broken or
just quiet... last message on #ceph-devel was today at 1:13am.

-- Dan

@ 2018-12-18 11:22       ` Joao Eduardo Luis
       [not found]         ` <c1e28839-a3b5-61cf-28be-878a9e539e7e-l3A5Bk7waGM@public.gmane.org>
From: Joao Eduardo Luis @ 2018-12-18 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan van der Ster; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 12/18/2018 11:18 AM, Dan van der Ster wrote:
> Hi Joao,
>
> Has that broken the Slack connection? I can't tell if its broken or
> just quiet... last message on #ceph-devel was today at 1:13am.

Just quiet, it seems. Just tested it and the bridge is still working.

  -Joao

@ 2018-12-18 11:34           ` Joao Eduardo Luis
       [not found]             ` <8cdb553c-67fc-a441-aea7-890d37e978fc-l3A5Bk7waGM@public.gmane.org>
From: Joao Eduardo Luis @ 2018-12-18 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan van der Ster; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 12/18/2018 11:22 AM, Joao Eduardo Luis wrote:
> On 12/18/2018 11:18 AM, Dan van der Ster wrote:
>> Hi Joao,
>>
>> Has that broken the Slack connection? I can't tell if its broken or
>> just quiet... last message on #ceph-devel was today at 1:13am.
>
> Just quiet, it seems. Just tested it and the bridge is still working.

Okay, turns out the ceph-ircslackbot user is not identified, and that
makes it unable to send messages to the channel. This means the bridge
is working in one direction only (irc to slack), and will likely break
when/if the user leaves the channel (as it won't be able to get back in).

I will figure out just how this works today. In the mean time, I've
relaxed the requirement for registered/identified users so that the bot
works again. It will be reactivated once this is addressed.

  -Joao

@ 2019-02-18 19:17               ` David Turner
       [not found]                 ` <CAN-Gep+pJ1txKXRtL6jufzP9bu0n5Sf62WGroOWUJw+6K4kO6A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: David Turner @ 2019-02-18 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joao Eduardo Luis; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Is this still broken in the 1-way direction where Slack users' comments do
not show up in IRC?  That would explain why nothing I ever type (as either
helping someone or asking a question) ever have anyone respond to them.

@ 2019-02-19  8:36                   ` Joao Eduardo Luis
From: Joao Eduardo Luis @ 2019-02-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Turner; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 02/18/2019 07:17 PM, David Turner wrote:
> Is this still broken in the 1-way direction where Slack users' comments
> do not show up in IRC?  That would explain why nothing I ever type (as
> either helping someone or asking a question) ever have anyone respond to
> them.

I noticed that yesterday as well, but I since we disabled the chan mode
that (I thought) led to that, I don't think that was the cause.

Mike, did we ever get word from Patrick on how this was setup? Any idea
what we should do here?

  -Joao