* side-effect when enabling CONFIG_MODULES
@ 2016-07-18 10:44 Arend Van Spriel
From: Arend Van Spriel @ 2016-07-18 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

A question for whoever can provide the answer. I have a kernel defconfig
with everything built-in. However, I want to compile a driver module
against it for testing. So I enabled CONFING_MODULES, but as a
side-effect several implicitly selected config options changed from
CONFIG_FOO=y to CONFIG_FOO=m giving me slightly different kernel at
least when looking at the vmlinux. So I just did sed -i 's/=m/=y/'
.config, but I was wondering if that step can be avoided somehow?

Regards,
Arend

* Re: side-effect when enabling CONFIG_MODULES
@ 2016-07-18 11:51 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2016-07-18 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend Van Spriel; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Monday, July 18, 2016 12:44:45 PM CEST Arend Van Spriel wrote:
> A question for whoever can provide the answer. I have a kernel defconfig
> with everything built-in. However, I want to compile a driver module
> against it for testing. So I enabled CONFING_MODULES, but as a
> side-effect several implicitly selected config options changed from
> CONFIG_FOO=y to CONFIG_FOO=m giving me slightly different kernel at
> least when looking at the vmlinux. So I just did sed -i 's/=m/=y/'
> .config, but I was wondering if that step can be avoided somehow?

It sounds like the options that are left out in the defconfig file
default to =m, which becomes =y if CONFIG_MODULES is not set.

make my_defconfig
echo "CONFIG_MODULES=y" >> .config
make oldconfig
make savedefconfig