* ask about kernel video4linux module
@ 2008-03-26  7:44 王素
       [not found] ` <1373980.1212051206531393465.JavaMail.coremail@bj163app55.163.com>
From: 王素 @ 2008-03-26  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

 hi guys,

it's my first time to email video4linux-list@redhat.com! These days i study v4l. In my opinion, I think the arch of sth is as below:

application
--------------
v4l api
--------------
CMOS camera driver
--------------
hardware

and I have read <video4linux programming>by Alan Cox and other relative articles. I enter the linux kernel (version is 2.6.8.1) and wanna get the videodev module,unfortunately I only got videodev.h or some other .h files, also I browsed the Makefile and Kconfig files but didn't get any code of v4l! so which dir the v4l code is in? I wanna study the source code of v4l ioctls further and want to know how is the v4l core related with CMOS camera driver!

maybe u think my question is so stupid , but I am a newbie and hopefully get some help from you!

thanks again,

Matthew Wang!

--
Matthew Wang Email: wangsu820@163.com

* Re: ask about kernel video4linux module
@ 2008-03-26 10:38 ` Daniel Glöckner
       [not found] ` <1373980.1212051206531393465.JavaMail.coremail@bj163app55.163.com>
From: Daniel Glöckner @ 2008-03-26 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wang; +Cc: video4linux-list

On 26 Mar 08 15:44, Matthew Wang wrote:
> I enter the linux kernel (version is 2.6.8.1) and wanna get the videodev module,unfortunately I only got videodev.h or some other .h files, also I browsed the Makefile and Kconfig files but didn't get any code of v4l!

Sounds like you installed only the kernel headers and not the kernel sourcecode.
Your distribution should have a package for the sources.

The latest stable kernel sources are in
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6
The current development branch of v4l can be downloaded at
http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb

  Daniel

@ 2008-03-26 17:51   ` Daniel Glöckner
From: Daniel Glöckner @ 2008-03-26 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wang; +Cc: video4linux-list

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:36:33PM +0800, Matthew Wang wrote:
>  thank u, Daniel
>
> I have the kernel package which is 2.6.8.1 and I use Source Insight to read it.
>
> Actually, I will do a IP Camera project based on ADSP-BF533(an ADI Blackfin chip), and I want to programme v4l by myself, and of course I have to learn something about v4l programming!
>
> in the kernel package, which directory is the v4l core in? kernel/drivers/media? for example, some article only tell us how to use the VIDIOCGCAP ioctl ,but now I wannt to see the VIDIOCGCAP specific code, can I find it in the kernel package?
>
> thanks again!
>
> Matthew

There is no V4L core.
The file you are searching is kernel/drivers/media/video/blackfin/blackfin_cam.c
from the Blackfin Linux project.
It is not yet part of the mainline source tree.
It supports only the obsolete V4L1 API.

You can browse the sourcecode at
http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/linux-kernel/scmsvn/?action=browse&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fdrivers%2Fmedia%2Fvideo%2Fblackfin%2F

  Daniel