* hdsploader 1.1
@ 2003-07-09 19:02 Thomas Charbonnel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Charbonnel @ 2003-07-09 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

You can find the new version of hdsploader here:
http://www.undata.org/~thomas/

This version includes a small fix + correct firmware files for rev11 cards.
I did not test those firmwares, but having skimmed through I can say they
look far more adequate than the previous ones. I'm waiting for feedback.
Many thanks to Martin Björnsen and Matthias Carstens from RME for their
quick answer.

I hope we're getting closer :)

Thomas

www.parasoft.com/bulletproofapps

* Re: hdsploader 1.1
@ 2003-07-10  4:00 ` Jesse Chappell
From: Jesse Chappell @ 2003-07-10  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Charbonnel; +Cc: alsa-devel

Thomas Charbonnel wrote on Wed, 09-Jul-2003:

 > You can find the new version of hdsploader here:
 > http://www.undata.org/~thomas/
 >
 > This version includes a small fix + correct firmware files for rev11 cards.
 > I did not test those firmwares, but having skimmed through I can say they
 > look far more adequate than the previous ones. I'm waiting for feedback.
 > Many thanks to Martin Björnsen and Matthias Carstens from RME for their
 > quick answer.
 >
 > I hope we're getting closer :)

Thomas and RME did it!  The new firmware loads flawlessly and everything
operates properly with my cardbus/multiface (rev 0xb)!

Definitely commit the new version into the alsa-tools ASAP.

Thanks again....

jlc

@ 2003-07-11  0:21   ` David E. Storey
From: David E. Storey @ 2003-07-11  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Chappell; +Cc: Thomas Charbonnel, alsa

ditto. I have cardbus hdsp + multiface connected to CD player via S/PDIF
coax and RME ADI 8 Pro via ADAT. All appears to work. Yay! no longer do
I need to load firmware via windoze.

d!

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 00:00, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> Thomas Charbonnel wrote on Wed, 09-Jul-2003:
>
>  > You can find the new version of hdsploader here:
>  > http://www.undata.org/~thomas/
>  >
>  > This version includes a small fix + correct firmware files for rev11 cards.
>  > I did not test those firmwares, but having skimmed through I can say they
>  > look far more adequate than the previous ones. I'm waiting for feedback.
>  > Many thanks to Martin Björnsen and Matthias Carstens from RME for their
>  > quick answer.
>  >
>  > I hope we're getting closer :)
>
> Thomas and RME did it!  The new firmware loads flawlessly and everything
> operates properly with my cardbus/multiface (rev 0xb)!
>
> Definitely commit the new version into the alsa-tools ASAP.
>
> Thanks again....
>
> jlc

* Re: hdsploader 1.1
@ 2003-07-11  0:42 ` jfm3
From: jfm3 @ 2003-07-11  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

> You can find the new version of hdsploader here:
> http://www.undata.org/~thomas/

This seems to break if you have other sound cards in /etc/modules.conf
that are not loaded yet. Probably my modules.conf is not correct. It is
attached.

I start the system. The red light on the Multiface is on. No sound drivers
are loaded yet. My modules.conf is as you see it.

[jfm3@localhost jfm3]$ sudo hdsploader
hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
Card 0 : RME Hammerfall DSP at 0xe9020000, irq 12
Upload firmware for card hw:0
Firmware uploaded for card hw:0
Card 1 :

The red light goes out. I can get sound if I mess around with gamix and
amixer enough, although I still haven't figured out what all the numbers
mean.

Shouldn't that be card 3 as the hdsp? In modules.conf I have the hdsp at
index 3. I don't understand exactly what the card "index" means.

If I have snd-virmidi not commented out and follow the above procedure, I
get a kernel oops when I run hdsploader but otherwise the same results.

Thank you very much everyone for all your hard work. I only hope I get the
chance to return the favor one day.

(jfm3)

[-- Attachment #2: modules.conf --]

# PCI ethernet card, not the nforce one
alias eth0 tulip

alias usb-controller usb-ohci

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

# PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to cards_limit
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd major=116 cards_limit=11 device_mode=0666
alias char-major-14 soundcore
# PCI consumer audio card, not the nforce one
alias snd-card-0 snd-trident
alias snd-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options -k snd-trident index=0
# somehow we have to unload parport modules first
# calling /sbin/modprobe from modules.conf ought to be illegal
alias snd-card-1 snd-mtpav
alias snd-slot-1 snd-card-1
options -k snd-mtpav index=1 irq=7 port=0x378
pre-install snd-mtpav /sbin/modprobe -r lp parport_pc parport
# multiface hdsp
alias snd-card-2 snd-hdsp
alias snd-slot-2 snd-card-2
# gazillion (eight) snd-virmidi devices to OSSize the mtpav
#alias snd-card-3 snd-virmidi
#alias snd-slot-3 snd-card-3
#alias snd-card-4 snd-virmidi
#alias snd-slot-4 snd-card-4
#alias snd-card-5 snd-virmidi
#alias snd-slot-5 snd-card-5
#alias snd-card-6 snd-virmidi
#alias snd-slot-6 snd-card-6
#alias snd-card-7 snd-virmidi
#alias snd-slot-7 snd-card-7
#alias snd-card-8 snd-virmidi
#alias snd-slot-8 snd-card-8
#alias snd-card-9 snd-virmidi
#alias snd-slot-9 snd-card-9
#alias snd-card-10 snd-virmidi
#alias snd-slot-10 snd-virmidi
# who knows what this does?
#options -k snd-virmidi index=3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 enable=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 midi_devs=2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2

* Re: hdsploader 1.1
@ 2003-07-11 10:01   ` Thomas Charbonnel
From: Thomas Charbonnel @ 2003-07-11 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfm3; +Cc: alsa-devel

> I start the system. The red light on the Multiface is on. No sound
> drivers are loaded yet. My modules.conf is as you see it.
>
> [jfm3@localhost jfm3]$ sudo hdsploader
> hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
> Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
> Card 0 : RME Hammerfall DSP at 0xe9020000, irq 12
> Upload firmware for card hw:0
> Firmware uploaded for card hw:0
> Card 1 :

Note thant you don't need to run hdsploader as root.
If the hdsp appears as card 0, I suspect the modules get loaded at some
point by some other mechanism. Did you tweak your init scripts ?

> The red light goes out. I can get sound if I mess around with gamix and
> amixer enough, although I still haven't figured out what all the numbers
> mean.
>
> Shouldn't that be card 3 as the hdsp? In modules.conf I have the hdsp at
> index 3. I don't understand exactly what the card "index" means.
>
> If I have snd-virmidi not commented out and follow the above procedure,
> I get a kernel oops when I run hdsploader but otherwise the same
> results.

I thought the maximum alsa snd_card_limit was 8, maybe I'm wrong ? That
could explain the oops...

Why do you use the -k flag with options ?

Thomas

www.parasoft.com/bulletproofapps1

* Re: hdsploader 1.1
@ 2003-07-14 14:35   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2003-07-14 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfm3; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:42:21 -0700 (PDT),
<jfm3@ouroboros-complex.org> wrote:

> If I have snd-virmidi not commented out and follow the above procedure, I
> get a kernel oops when I run hdsploader but otherwise the same results.

please send us the output of ksymoops.
it would help debugging much better.

thanks,

Takashi

@ 2003-07-14 14:52 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2003-07-14 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Charbonnel; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi,

sorry for the late response.
i'm back from LinuxTag now.

At Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:02:58 +0200 (CEST),
Thomas Charbonnel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can find the new version of hdsploader here:
> http://www.undata.org/~thomas/

thanks, it's committed to cvs.
unfortuantely missed in 0.9.5, though...

Takashi

www.parasoft.com/bulletproofapps1