* Possible git bug when using filter-branch to remove large binaries
@ 2009-02-15 21:35 Juan Zanos
From: Juan Zanos @ 2009-02-15 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi Vger,

I'm trying to remove a directory of large binaries from a git
repository    There is a directory of 85M in a git repository of
92M.  So the binaries are relatively massive and should never have
been checked in in the first place.  I've tried to use filter-branch
to permanently remove those binaries.  The directory successfully
vanishes. However, the repository + working directory only goes from
216M down to 133M.   That means the binaries were only removed from
the working directory.   The repository remains bloated.   I've tried
a handful of magic incantations using commands such as gc, prune,
reflog expire --all, etc..  None of these have  worked.   In fact,
after cloning the 133M (repo + working) and running gc the directory
actually increased in size from 133M to 290M!

I'm not really sure I understand what's  going on here.   It  sounds
like the growth to 290M  is a  bug.  If so I'm  happy to provide the
repo as a test case as well as the exact commands I use.  On the
other hand, I'm finding that the git API is  complex enough that I
could easily be doing something wrong or missing some command.   In
that case is there a simple set of commands I could use to remove a
directory of really large binaries that never should  have been
checked in in the first place and reclaim the space ?  I've checked
pretty thoroughly on Google to find people who have successfully done
this, but it seems mostly people have failed to actually reclaim space.

Cheers,
Juan

* Re: Possible git bug when using filter-branch to remove large binaries
@ 2009-02-15 21:55 ` Thomas Rast
From: Thomas Rast @ 2009-02-15 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Zanos; +Cc: git