* long name length protection triggering when it shouldn't
@ 2017-10-26 21:13 Jack Hill
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.20.1710261653580.1395-WLjXm773ss2rwpbwKtlw2QLqUvEzMhQG@public.gmane.org>
From: Jack Hill @ 2017-10-26 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,

I believe that I'm having a problem where the checks in
5ed70f7db9afe5e4e5cc1fa2239676e3b2d2c5b2 for file name length are
triggering when they shouldn't be. I see this problem on a normal Debian
Stretch system where the patch in question was introduced in Debian's
linux-image-4.9.0-4-amd64 kernel. I believe that the errors about file
name length are erroneous because I see no problems when using a prior
kernel. As an added twist, I only see this problem when using the sec=krb5
option. If I use sec=ntlmv2, the problem does not occur. I am looking for
advice on how to troubleshoot further.

More information can be found in a post I made to a different list about
this issue
<https://trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20171023/077662.html>.

Thanks,
Jack

* Re: long name length protection triggering when it shouldn't
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.20.1710261653580.1395-WLjXm773ss2rwpbwKtlw2QLqUvEzMhQG@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-26 22:36   ` Leif Sahlberg
       [not found]     ` <355654398.20246337.1509057377124.JavaMail.zimbra-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Leif Sahlberg @ 2017-10-26 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Hill; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Thanks for the report.

I had a report yesterday about the name length check failing together with DFS use,
this was fixed by applying this patch :

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-cifs/msg13458.html

Can you try that patch and confirm if it fixes the issue for you too ?

regards
ronnie sahlberg

@ 2017-10-28  0:58       ` Jack Hill
       [not found]         ` <alpine.DEB.2.20.1710272053520.3868-WLjXm773ss2rwpbwKtlw2QLqUvEzMhQG@public.gmane.org>
From: Jack Hill @ 2017-10-28  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leif Sahlberg; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, Leif Sahlberg wrote:

> Can you try that patch and confirm if it fixes the issue for you too ?

I am happy to confirm that the patch fixes the issue for me.

Is it worth trying to figure out why MaxPathNameComponentLength is not
being set correctly? For me, it seems to be set correctly when I use
different mount options (either a different sec= option, or when using
multiuser).

Do you expect the proposed patch to be the eventual fix that ends up in a
released kernel?

@ 2017-10-28  1:55           ` ronnie sahlberg
       [not found]             ` <CAN05THQys0eScP3DoUFAxVtDFPKhzdcFpCnXO=0GopF7Tk4kFQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: ronnie sahlberg @ 2017-10-28  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Hill, Steve French; +Cc: Leif Sahlberg, linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Thanks for testing and confirming the patch fixes the issue.

I will try to figure out why the mount options affect this. But that
is not as urgent.

@ 2017-10-28 14:21               ` Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2017-10-28 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ronnie sahlberg
  Cc: Steve French, Leif Sahlberg, linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017, ronnie sahlberg wrote:

> Thanks for testing and confirming the patch fixes the issue.

You're welcome, and thanks for your work.

Jack