* wayland enabled gpu-viv
@ 2013-07-10  7:16 Ahsan, Noor
From: Ahsan, Noor @ 2013-07-10  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

We are working on wayland support on saberlite. I saw that meta-fsl-arm layer does not have wayland enabled gpu-viv recipes. May I know what is the plan regarding that?

Noor

Noor Ahsan | Engineering Manager Mentor Embedded Linux
Mentor Embedded<http://www.mentor.com/embedded>(tm) |5-6-7-8th floors 105  B2 Gulberg III, Ali Tower
MM Alam Road, Lahore
P +92 42 36099196 | M +92 300 4448444
Nucleus<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/nucleus/>(r) | Linux<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/linux/>(r) | Android<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/android/>(tm) | Services<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/services/> | UI<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/inflexion/> | Multi-OS<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/multicore-multi-os>

Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google Permissions.
Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.

* Re: wayland enabled gpu-viv
@ 2013-07-10  9:14 ` Thomas Senyk
From: Thomas Senyk @ 2013-07-10  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale; +Cc: Potnis, Abhijit

On Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 7:16:29 Ahsan, Noor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are working on wayland support on saberlite. I saw that meta-fsl-arm
> layer does not have wayland enabled gpu-viv recipes. May I know what is the
> plan regarding that?

I'm currently overloaded with my imx6-vpu work, but in general I would be
interested in this as well.

What's already there:
 - The drivers releases already include the wayland part
 - If one enables wayland as DISTRO_FEATURE and/or installs it, the protocol
part is also done.

What's missing:
 - within the gpu recipe:
   the same code existing for x, fb and dfb needs to be added for wayland.
 - this will include:
   pkgconfig files: wayland-egl.pc  (which is likely to be a copy of egl.pc)
 ... most likely more then that but I can't recall what else is missing.

So far I've only done this 'manually' by fiddling around with the sysroot and
rootfs ... I hadn't had the time to test a proper recipe way of creating
everything.
Anyway If you need help, let me know.

> Noor
>
> Noor Ahsan | Engineering Manager Mentor Embedded Linux
> Mentor Embedded<http://www.mentor.com/embedded>(tm) |5-6-7-8th floors 105
> B2 Gulberg III, Ali Tower MM Alam Road, Lahore
> P +92 42 36099196 | M +92 300 4448444
> Nucleus<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/nucleus/>(r) |
> Linux<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/linux/>(r) |
> Android<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/android/>(tm) |
> Services<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/services/> |
> UI<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/inflexion/> |
> Multi-OS<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/multicore-multi-os>
>
> Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to
> Google Permissions. Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in
> the U.S. and other countries.

* Re: wayland enabled gpu-viv
@ 2013-07-10  9:28   ` Ahsan, Noor
From: Ahsan, Noor @ 2013-07-10  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Senyk, meta-freescale; +Cc: Potnis, Abhijit

So you have modified same gpu-viv recipe that is available in meta-fal-arm or created the new one. I am interested to know couple of things here. First is why gpu-viv recipe is removing wayland specific things. See following

    # FIXME: Remove Wayland contents
    rm -r ${D}${includedir}/wayland-viv
    find ${D}${libdir} -name '*-wl.so' -exec rm '{}' ';'
    rm ${D}${libdir}/*wayland*.so*

so it looks that we can't add wayland stuff in the same recipe or I am interpreting something wrong here. Can't we add wayland stuff in the same recipe just like we have other stuff for x11 and directfb. Secondly I see gpu-viv-bin-mx6q-3.0.035-4.0.0.bin and gpu-viv-wl-bin-mx6q-3.0.35-4.0.0.bin at http://download.ossystems.com.br/bsp/freescale/source/. I compared both bin file contents are same so why we have separated it out.

Noor

@ 2013-07-10 10:38     ` Thomas Senyk
From: Thomas Senyk @ 2013-07-10 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahsan, Noor; +Cc: meta-freescale, Potnis, Abhijit

On Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 9:28:06 Ahsan, Noor wrote:
> So you have modified same gpu-viv recipe that is available in meta-fal-arm
> or created the new one. I am interested to know couple of things here.
> First is why gpu-viv recipe is removing wayland specific things. See
> following
>
>     # FIXME: Remove Wayland contents
>     rm -r ${D}${includedir}/wayland-viv
>     find ${D}${libdir} -name '*-wl.so' -exec rm '{}' ';'
>     rm ${D}${libdir}/*wayland*.so*
>
> so it looks that we can't add wayland stuff in the same recipe or I am
> interpreting something wrong here. Can't we add wayland stuff in the same
> recipe just like we have other stuff for x11 and directfb.

I agree, we should have everything in one recipe.
My best guess why someone removes it: He didn't know what else to do with it,
and then it's good practice to remove 'unless stufff' within recipes.

So solving the 'FIXME' would mean: remove all the 'rm' and move them
accordingly (remove them only if wayland is not in DISTRO_FEATURES and deploy
them otherwise)

> Secondly I see
> gpu-viv-bin-mx6q-3.0.035-4.0.0.bin and gpu-viv-wl-bin-mx6q-3.0.35-4.0.0.bin
> at http://download.ossystems.com.br/bsp/freescale/source/. I compared both
> bin file contents are same so why we have separated it out.

No clue. Anyone from freescale a comment?