* iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2014-01-30 13:54 Ahsan, Noor
From: Ahsan, Noor @ 2014-01-30 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hello,

I read in couple of threads that iw is replacing wireless-tools in linux wireless world and people recommending replacing wireless-tools with iw in oe-core. I did not see it happening. Here I am starting this thread to discuss this so that we can make the decision and replace these two recipes with each other. Comments?

Noor

Noor Ahsan | Engineering Manager Mentor Embedded Linux & Hypervisor
Mentor Embedded<http://www.mentor.com/embedded>(tm) |5-6-7-8th floors 105  B2 Gulberg III, Ali Tower
MM Alam Road, Lahore
P +92 42 36099196 | M +92 307 4448444
Nucleus<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/nucleus/>(r) | Linux<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/linux/>(r) | Android<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/android/>(tm) | Services<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/services/> | UI<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/inflexion/> | Multi-OS<http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/multicore-multi-os>

Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google Permissions.
Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2014-01-31 19:01 ` Iorga, Cristian
From: Iorga, Cristian @ 2014-01-31 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahsan, Noor, openembedded-core

Hello Noor, all,

An analysis of the differences, improvements, maybe possible shortcomings of iw versus wireless-tools would be nice.

For a start:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw/replace-iwconfig
Basically, this says that iw is simpler to use than wireless-tools various commands.
It is unclear to me if iw functionality matches wireless-tools functionality or maybe surpasses it, maybe someone else has info on this?
On my Ubuntu 13.10 dev machine, wireless-tools and iw are both installed by default (I might be wrong here, maybe I installed them some time ago by hand).

Regards,
Cristian Iorga
YP
Intel

@ 2014-01-31 20:06   ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2014-01-31 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iorga, Cristian; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Iorga, Cristian
<cristian.iorga@intel.com> wrote:
> On my Ubuntu 13.10 dev machine, wireless-tools and iw are both installed by
> default (I might be wrong here, maybe I installed them some time ago by
> hand).

you are right, they are both on the default install, see

http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.10/ubuntu-13.10-desktop-amd64.manifest

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2014-01-31 21:05     ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2014-01-31 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Friday, January 31, 2014, Nicolas Dechesne <nicolas.dechesne@linaro.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Iorga, Cristian
> <cristian.iorga@intel.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > On my Ubuntu 13.10 dev machine, wireless-tools and iw are both installed
> by
> > default (I might be wrong here, maybe I installed them some time ago by
> > hand).
>
> you are right, they are both on the default install, see
>
> http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.10/ubuntu-13.10-desktop-amd64.manifest

For what its worth, I personally would love to see wireless-tools go away
in favor of iw, much as ifconfig has gone to the wayside in favor of
iputils.

-Chris

--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2015-08-18 15:53       ` Christopher Larson
From: Christopher Larson @ 2015-08-18 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Chris Larson <clarson@kergoth.com> wrote:

> On Friday, January 31, 2014, Nicolas Dechesne <nicolas.dechesne@linaro.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Iorga, Cristian
>> <cristian.iorga@intel.com> wrote:
>> > On my Ubuntu 13.10 dev machine, wireless-tools and iw are both
>> installed by
>> > default (I might be wrong here, maybe I installed them some time ago by
>> > hand).
>>
>> you are right, they are both on the default install, see
>>
>> http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.10/ubuntu-13.10-desktop-amd64.manifest
>

> For what its worth, I personally would love to see wireless-tools go away
> in favor of iw, much as ifconfig has gone to the wayside in favor of
> iputils.

Bringing this back up again, as I think we really need to at the *very*
least pull in iw from meta-oe into oe-core, and adjust packagegroup-base
(worst case, with a VIRTUAL-RUNTIME), and better yet also drop
wireless-tools / move it to meta-networking.

From the debian /usr/share/doc/iw/README.Debian:

    Why is wireless-tools being replaced?
    =====================================

    A complete summary of technical reasons for the abandonment of Linux
Wireless
    Extensions API is documented on the wireless.kernel.org wiki page for
WEXT [3].

    In brief, WEXT uses ioctl's as the kernel<->userspace communication
mechanism,
    but some developers wish to have a more structured transport mechanism,
which
    cfg80211 and nl80211 provide, to allow them to address old nagging
problems
    with the current wireless device configuration implementation, and give
them
    more freedom to enhance the process of wireless configuration [4].

    WEXT is in deep maintenance mode, cfg80211 and nl80211 are the
communication
    transport mechanism of the future.

    [3]
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/Wireless-Extensions
    [4] which is one of the areas which, in my opinion, has always been
difficult
        for new adopters on Linux, especially on the desktop.

Also:

    https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw indicates
"The old tool iwconfing, which uses Wireless Extensions interface, is
deprecated and it's strongly recommended to switch to iw and nl80211."
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2015-08-18 16:00         ` Christopher Larson
                             ` (3 more replies)
From: Christopher Larson @ 2015-08-18 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Christopher Larson <clarson@kergoth.com>
wrote:

> Bringing this back up again, as I think we really need to at the *very*
> least pull in iw from meta-oe into oe-core, and adjust packagegroup-base
> (worst case, with a VIRTUAL-RUNTIME), and better yet also drop
> wireless-tools / move it to meta-networking.

Worst case, we could keep both in VIRTUAL-RUNTIME for compatibility, as a
temporary measure, but I think we need to get iw into oe-core and into the
base images for sure.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2015-08-18 16:02           ` Philip Balister
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Philip Balister @ 2015-08-18 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Larson, Nicolas Dechesne; +Cc: openembedded-core

On 08/18/2015 06:00 PM, Christopher Larson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Christopher Larson <clarson@kergoth.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Bringing this back up again, as I think we really need to at the *very*
>> least pull in iw from meta-oe into oe-core, and adjust packagegroup-base
>> (worst case, with a VIRTUAL-RUNTIME), and better yet also drop
>> wireless-tools / move it to meta-networking.
>

> Worst case, we could keep both in VIRTUAL-RUNTIME for compatibility, as a
> temporary measure, but I think we need to get iw into oe-core and into the
> base images for sure.

I agree completely.

Philip

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2015-08-18 16:03           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-08-18 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Larson; +Cc: openembedded-core

> On Aug 18, 2015, at 9:00 AM, Christopher Larson <clarson@kergoth.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Christopher Larson <clarson@kergoth.com <mailto:clarson@kergoth.com>> wrote:
> Bringing this back up again, as I think we really need to at the *very* least pull in iw from meta-oe into oe-core, and adjust packagegroup-base (worst case, with a VIRTUAL-RUNTIME), and better yet also drop wireless-tools / move it to meta-networking.
>
> Worst case, we could keep both in VIRTUAL-RUNTIME for compatibility, as a temporary measure, but I think we need to get iw into oe-core and into the base images for sure.

yes I think its a good idea

> --
> Christopher Larson
> clarson at kergoth dot com
> Founder - BitBake, OpenEmbedded, OpenZaurus
> Maintainer - Tslib
> Senior Software Engineer, Mentor Graphics

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2015-08-18 16:36           ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2015-08-18 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Larson; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Tue, 2015-08-18 at 09:00 -0700, Christopher Larson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Christopher Larson
> <clarson@kergoth.com> wrote:
>         Bringing this back up again, as I think we really need to at
>         the *very* least pull in iw from meta-oe into oe-core, and
>         adjust packagegroup-base (worst case, with a VIRTUAL-RUNTIME),
>         and better yet also drop wireless-tools / move it to
>         meta-networking.
>
> Worst case, we could keep both in VIRTUAL-RUNTIME for compatibility,
> as a temporary measure, but I think we need to get iw into oe-core and
> into the base images for sure.

Agreed, patches would be welcome!

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2015-08-18 20:45             ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-08-18 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Christopher Larson, openembedded-core

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2015, at 9:00 AM, Christopher Larson <clarson@kergoth.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Christopher Larson <clarson@kergoth.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Bringing this back up again, as I think we really need to at the *very*
>> least pull in iw from meta-oe into oe-core, and adjust packagegroup-base
>> (worst case, with a VIRTUAL-RUNTIME), and better yet also drop
>> wireless-tools / move it to meta-networking.
>

> Worst case, we could keep both in VIRTUAL-RUNTIME for compatibility, as a
> temporary measure, but I think we need to get iw into oe-core and into the
> base images for sure.
>

> yes I think its a good idea

Agreed as well.

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-08-19  7:10           ` Anders Darander
From: Anders Darander @ 2015-08-19  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

* Christopher Larson <clarson@kergoth.com> [150818 18:00]:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Christopher Larson <clarson@kergoth.com>
> wrote:
> > Bringing this back up again, as I think we really need to at the *very*
> > least pull in iw from meta-oe into oe-core, and adjust packagegroup-base
> > (worst case, with a VIRTUAL-RUNTIME), and better yet also drop
> > wireless-tools / move it to meta-networking.

> Worst case, we could keep both in VIRTUAL-RUNTIME for compatibility, as a
> temporary measure, but I think we need to get iw into oe-core and into the
> base images for sure.

Yes, we should get iw into oe-core. So, I agree completely with this.

/Anders

--
Anders Darander
ChargeStorm AB / eStorm AB

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2015-08-19 11:25             ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-08-19 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OE-core

And now for the elephant in the room: is anyone going to work on this? :)

Ross

@ 2015-08-19 11:35               ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-08-19 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Em 19/08/2015 12:26, "Burton, Ross" <ross.burton@intel.com> escreveu:

> And now for the elephant in the room: is anyone going to work on this? :)

I can ask our people to work on this.

Is there a bug number to assign for me?

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2015-08-19 11:56                 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-08-19 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 19 August 2015 at 12:35, Otavio Salvador <
otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> Em 19/08/2015 12:26, "Burton, Ross" <ross.burton@intel.com> escreveu:
> >
> > And now for the elephant in the room: is anyone going to work on this? :)
>
> I can ask our people to work on this.
>
> Is there a bug number to assign for me?

Not as far as I'm aware.  Note that M3 cut-off is fairly soon (August 23rd,
technically) and this would count as a Feature so switching to iw would be
out of scope for M4.

Ross

* Re: iw in place of wireless-tools
@ 2015-08-19 17:43                   ` Christopher Larson