* Package with both daemon and shared object
@ 2015-10-14 16:25 Vuille, Martin (Martin)
From: Vuille, Martin (Martin) @ 2015-10-14 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I am having a bit of trouble understanding something about
packaging.

I have a custom recipe to build a package that contains both
a daemon executable and a shared object interface library
for the daemon.

But the .so is only packaged in ${PN}-dev, not ${PN}, so
it doesn't end up on the target.

Is that expected behavior? How do I get my .so onto the target?

I worked around it by explicitly creating an extra package
and using FILES_${PN}-whatever to force the .so into it, but
now the .so doesn't get included in ${PN}-dev any more.

In general, is there a way to have a file included in two RPMs?
Or am I approaching this from the wrong direction?

Regards,
MV

* Re: Package with both daemon and shared object
@ 2015-10-14 17:24 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-10-14 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vuille, Martin (Martin); +Cc: yocto

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Vuille, Martin (Martin) <vmartin@avaya.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am having a bit of trouble understanding something about
> packaging.
>
> I have a custom recipe to build a package that contains both
> a daemon executable and a shared object interface library
> for the daemon.
>
> But the .so is only packaged in ${PN}-dev, not ${PN}, so
> it doesn’t end up on the target.

yes thats default and if the .so was built using proper .so versioning scheme.
.so is a symlink to .so.X.Y.Z

> Is that expected behavior? How do I get my .so onto the target?

You should try to change building your .so to use versioning scheme.
it makes your packaging simple with OE and other places.

FILES_SOLIBSDEV = “${libdir}/*.so”
but thats not a preferred solution, its a workaround

> I worked around it by explicitly creating an extra package
> and using FILES_${PN}-whatever to force the .so into it, but
> now the .so doesn’t get included in ${PN}-dev any more.
>
> In general, is there a way to have a file included in two RPMs?
> Or am I approaching this from the wrong direction?
>
> Regards,
> MV

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Package with both daemon and shared object
@ 2015-10-16 18:57   ` Vuille, Martin (Martin)
> > I am having a bit of trouble understanding something about
> > packaging.
> >
> > I have a custom recipe to build a package that contains both
> > a daemon executable and a shared object interface library
> > for the daemon.
> >
> > But the .so is only packaged in ${PN}-dev, not ${PN}, so
> > it doesn’t end up on the target.
>
> yes thats default and if the .so was built using proper .so versioning scheme.
> .so is a symlink to .so.X.Y.Z

Thanks! I knew about this at some point but it completely slipped my mind.

Problem fixed now
MV