* NV Cache Feature Support in libata
@ 2007-02-09 18:25 Fajun Chen
       [not found] ` <BCFC7DEC-CE1E-4F88-961E-F86F7C69528D@sbcglobal.net>
From: Fajun Chen @ 2007-02-09 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ide; +Cc: Tejun Heo

Hi All,

I'm not aware of any NV cache (vista feature documented in
ata-atapi-8) support in libata. Is this supported or any plan to
support it in the future?

Thanks,
Fajun

* Re: NV Cache Feature Support in libata
@ 2007-02-09 19:21 ` Timothy Bisson
       [not found] ` <BCFC7DEC-CE1E-4F88-961E-F86F7C69528D@sbcglobal.net>
From: Timothy Bisson @ 2007-02-09 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ide

On Feb 9, 2007, at 10:25 AM, Fajun Chen wrote:

> I'm not aware of any NV cache (vista feature documented in
> ata-atapi-8) support in libata. Is this supported or any plan to
> support it in the future?

It is already supported through the HDIO_DRIVE_CMD ioctl - pass 0xb6
as the command register value.

I think the interesting question is, how can we leverage the NV Cache
in the block and file system layers to improve power and performance.
One probably obvious option is to enter NV Cache Power Mode when
laptop mode is enabled.

Tim

@ 2007-08-01 16:57   ` Fajun Chen
From: Fajun Chen @ 2007-08-01 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Bisson; +Cc: linux-ide

Did you refer to "HDIO_DRIVE_CMD ioctl" in old IDE code? I couldn't
get it working on libata.  Based on libata-scsi code, only PIO data in
and Non-data protocol are supported for HDIO_DRIVE_CMD while NV Cache
commands requires DMA based on ATA8 spec.

I tried to use ATA pass through command for NV Cache commands. For
instance,  I implemented Add LBA to Pinned Set command just like Write
DMA Extended with the differences in command, feature and LBA register
bit 0, but I got "protocol mismatch" error from device.

I would appreciate any information in regard to libata support on NV
Cache commands.

Thanks,
Fajun