* Cyclictest doesn't support --smi option for ice lake processors
@ 2022-03-28 15:07 Bart Wensley
From: Bart Wensley @ 2022-03-28 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Using the --smi option with cyclictest on ice lake processors gives
the following error:
FATAL: SMI counter is not supported on this processor

It looks like the ice lake model (0x6A) is missing from function
has_smi_counter:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/rt-tests/rt-tests.git/tree/src/cyclictest/cyclictest.c#n410

Before submitting a patch for this, I was just wondering if there was
a better way to handle this than having to update cyclictest every
time a new processor model is released?

Bart

* Re: Cyclictest doesn't support --smi option for ice lake processors
@ 2022-03-29 22:19 ` John Kacur
From: John Kacur @ 2022-03-29 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Wensley; +Cc: linux-rt-users, Daniel Bristot de Oliveria, Clark Williams

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022, Bart Wensley wrote:

> Using the --smi option with cyclictest on ice lake processors gives
> the following error:
> FATAL: SMI counter is not supported on this processor
>
> It looks like the ice lake model (0x6A) is missing from function
> has_smi_counter:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/rt-tests/rt-tests.git/tree/src/cyclictest/cyclictest.c#n410
>
> Before submitting a patch for this, I was just wondering if there was
> a better way to handle this than having to update cyclictest every
> time a new processor model is released?
>
> Bart

This function is based on turbostat in the linux kernel. It hasn't been
synced in awhile, so, if you would like to update it for ice lake
then please update it for any other processors in turbostat as well.
I think the function to look at is probe_nhm_msrs().

Thank You

John Kacur