* ACPI initialization failure with v2.6.21-rc4
@ 2007-03-18 10:25 Johannes Weiner
From: Johannes Weiner @ 2007-03-18 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: lenb

[resend due to wrong mail headers last time]

Hi,

The kernel version mentioned in the subject won't boot because the ACPI
system does not get initialized; the system freezes on an outb() in
acpi_os_write_port() i.e. it does not do anything anymore and just hangs.

Here is the `stack trace' I managed to extract via debugging output:

	-- acpi_os_write_port(0xb2, 240, 8)
	-- acpi_hw_set_mode(ACPI_SYS_MODE_ACPI)
	-- acpi_enable()
	-- acpi_enable_subsystem(~ACPI_NO_ACPI_ENABLE)
	-- acpi_early_init()

Notes:
	* acpi_os_write_port(): I printk'd the arguments; the port
	  formatted with %#x and the value with %u.

	* acpi_enable_subsystem(): I removed ACPI_NO_HARDWARE_INIT
	  from the arguments because it is not used anymore.
	  In this context I want to mention that it probably can be
	  removed from include/acpi/actypes.h generally.

Random question:

	I noticed that acpi_gbl_FADT is declared in
	include/acpi/acglobal.h but where is it actually defined and
	initialized?

HTH,
Hannes

* Re: ACPI initialization failure with v2.6.21-rc4
@ 2007-03-18 14:52 ` Luming Yu
From: Luming Yu @ 2007-03-18 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, lenb

Do you recall which acpi enabled kernel works for you?
If never, I guess your system don't support ACPI .
If yes, this should be resolved. Please enter a acpi bug into
bugzilla.kernel.org with sufficient info : dmesg,lspci -vvx,
/proc/ioports, acpidump output... w/ acpi=off.

@ 2007-03-18 10:21 ` Johannes Weiner