* Re: trouble creating array
@ 2007-02-26 11:40 jahammonds prost
From: jahammonds prost @ 2007-02-26 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: Justin Piszcz, linux-raid

Ah ha....

# ls -l /sys/block/*/holders/*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 26 06:28 /sys/block/sdb/holders/dm-0 -> ../../../block/dm-0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 26 06:28 /sys/block/sdc/holders/dm-0 -> ../../../block/dm-0

which I am assuming is dmraid? I did a quick check, and

# dmraid -r
No RAID disks

Doesn't look like there is anything defined.  I know that both sdb and sdc (as well as sda) are connected to SATA cards which support RAID under windows... However, I know there is no arrays defined on them on the cards (at least not by me)... I will bounce the server again and check.

Graham

From: Luca Berra @ 2007-02-27 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 03:40:32AM -0800, jahammonds prost wrote:
>Ah ha....
>
># ls -l /sys/block/*/holders/*
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 26 06:28 /sys/block/sdb/holders/dm-0 -> ../../../block/dm-0
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 26 06:28 /sys/block/sdc/holders/dm-0 -> ../../../block/dm-0
>
>which I am assuming is dmraid? I did a quick check, and

no, it is device-mapper

># dmraid -r
>No RAID disks

use "dmsetup ls"

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.

* DMRAID feature direction?
@ 2007-02-27 22:45   ` Gaston, Jason D
From: Gaston, Jason D @ 2007-02-27 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hello,

Can someone point me to where I can search a linux-raid mailing list
archive?

I am looking for information about where things are going with DMRAID
features and any discussion on where things stand in regards to the
possibility of merging MD and DMRAID.  My guess, from what I have found
in google, is that this was a heated discussion.  Mainly I am looking at
what direction people think is correct for getting more functionality to
support "fakeraid" volumes.

I appreciate any information!

Thanks,

Jason

* Re: DMRAID feature direction?
@ 2007-02-27 22:54     ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2007-02-27 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaston, Jason D; +Cc: linux-raid

On 2/27/07, Gaston, Jason D <jason.d.gaston@intel.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone point me to where I can search a linux-raid mailing list
> archive?

I use:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-raid&r=1&w=2

> I am looking for information about where things are going with DMRAID
> features and any discussion on where things stand in regards to the
> possibility of merging MD and DMRAID.  My guess, from what I have found
> in google, is that this was a heated discussion.  Mainly I am looking at
> what direction people think is correct for getting more functionality to
> support "fakeraid" volumes.

Also interesting is the discussion around surrounding the proposed EMD solution.

> I appreciate any information!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason
> -

Regards,
Dan

* RE: DMRAID feature direction?
@ 2007-02-28 21:56       ` Gaston, Jason D
From: Gaston, Jason D @ 2007-02-28 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Williams, Dan J; +Cc: linux-raid

Thanks for the archive link, very interesting discussions with EMD...

What was the final outcome with EMD?  Is it still a valid project?

We would like to start helping with RAID feature enhancements, but we
need to maintain support vendor specific metadata.  What is the best way
to approach this?  Pick up EMD again, add to DMRAID, add to MD RAID or
something else?  We want to do the right thing by the community.  Can
anyone point me in the right direction with where to begin?

Thank you,

Jason

Behalf

@ 2007-02-28 22:38         ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2007-02-28 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaston, Jason D; +Cc: Williams, Dan J, linux-raid

On Wednesday February 28, jason.d.gaston@intel.com wrote:
> Thanks for the archive link, very interesting discussions with EMD...
>
> What was the final outcome with EMD?  Is it still a valid project?
>
> We would like to start helping with RAID feature enhancements, but we
> need to maintain support vendor specific metadata.  What is the best way
> to approach this?  Pick up EMD again, add to DMRAID, add to MD RAID or
> something else?  We want to do the right thing by the community.  Can
> anyone point me in the right direction with where to begin?

I'm keen on making md/raid work with vendor-specific metadata.  I aim
to achieve that by making it possible to do all the metadata handling
in userspace, and then maybe support loadable modules in mdadm for
different specific metadata.

I've been aiming to get DDF supported, but things keep distracting me
:-(

I only vaguely remember the EMD effort.  My memory is that a pile of
code appeared that did a variety of useful things, but there were lots
of aspects that I wasn't comfortable with.  i.e. it needed a bit of
revision before it was suitable for mainline, but there was no
followup from the coders.

I would suggest that the "right thing by the community" is to present
some details on what specifically you want to achieve and start a
discussion on how best to achieve that.  Then see where things lead.

For raid1/4/5/6, I would strongly recommend starting with the md
code-base.  If it seems like a good idea to put a 'dm' interface on
top of that, then it could probably be arranged.  If more
functionality is needed internally, or better interfaces needed to
achieve particular ends, then that is certainly possible to.

NeilBrown