From: Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com>
To: Brad Bishop <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com>
Cc: openbmc <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: Intel-ipmi-oem repo
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 21:31:58 +0000	[thread overview]

On 1/22/19, 12:53 PM, "Brad Bishop" <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:

    On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 06:16:20PM +0000, Vijay Khemka wrote:
    > Team,
    > Intel-ipmi-oem should be broken and 2 parts, genric and oem specific. I see several functionality in this repo like sensors and storage commands are generic enough to be used by other platform who is using entity manager. So I feel that we should have these functionalities to be moved to a separate common repo which can be used by everyone and this repo can only contain Intel OEM specific IPMI command support.
    >
    > My 2 cents 😊

    In general I support the goal here.

    More repos, sure.  Let me know what you want them called, who the
    maintainers of each should be, and confirm that they can be licensed
    as Apache-2.0.
Yes, I would prefer more of generic code approach which can benefit many users.
Ultimate goal is more manageable code and useful to everyone.

    Sorry Vijay - I'm going to hijack your thread.  This is something
    I've been thinking about lately and your note put it at a tipping
    point for me.
No issue Brad.

    We have evolved into a bit of a wild-west culture as far as putting code
    (repos) up in the openbmc namespace.  There are simply no rules at all.
    Anyone can simply ask Brad for a repo and it gets created, no questions
    asked, no accountability.

    So I guess a quick poll - does anyone find this concerning (or not)?

    fwiw, I think I'm ok with this model at this point in the project,
    assuming that the rules (or lack thereof) apply to everyone equally.

    thx - brad