From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>,
	marcelo@conectiva.com.br
Subject: Re: [2.4 PATCH] pcnet32.c - tx underflow error
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:08:35 -0700	[thread overview]

Alan Cox wrote:

>>This patch fixes a tx underflow error for 79c973 chip.  It essentially delay
>>the transmission until the whole packet is received into the on-chip sdram.
>>
>>The patch is already accepted by Marcelo for the 2.4 tree, I think.
>>

> Which slows the stuff down for people with real computers.

BTW, I have seen this problem on four boards (including Malta, two NEC boards
and a Hitachi board).  Not surprisingly the problem mostly happens when you
connect to 100Mb/s network.

I even suspect this is the default setting on PCI cards on PC.  Can someone
verify?  If that is the case, that will explain why driver never sets this
bit.  Maybe we don't have any "real computers" after all. :-)

Jun