* Re: IDE instability W/ ACPI ?
       [not found] ` <3D372E8F.64B4A0A1-gmoNqwowlqBr8A+qpt3pXFzrSV/HdtiB@public.gmane.org>
@ 2002-07-26 10:37   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2002-07-26 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zuccato; +Cc: Acpi List

Hi!

> I remember I read something related, but couldn't find it now.
> Whith ACPI enabled, I often get complete lockups (usually, but not only)
> when trying to play movies ( = both CPU and disk activity). More often
> if I didn't use cpu-intensive programs in the last few hours (for
> example, I leave lopster running all night and in the morning try to
> watch a downloaded movie). The lock is really complete - no keyboard
> (even SysRq), no mouse, no network. It's not overheating (to be sure I
> bougnt a PCMCIA fan).

PCMCIA fan? How does that beast look like, and how does it guarantee
CPU not overheating?
								Pavel

--
I'm pavel-7aPAsKgELzg@public.gmane.org "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at discuss-q33YXrgyAoMgsBAKwltoeQ@public.gmane.org

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: IDE instability W/ ACPI ?
@ 2002-07-26 17:35     ` Diego Zuccato
From: Diego Zuccato @ 2002-07-26 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Acpi List

Pavel Machek wrote:

> PCMCIA fan? How does that beast look like, and how does it guarantee
> CPU not overheating?
It's an "empty" PCMCIA card with some holes to let air flow. On the
external part there's a fan.

Let's try some ASCII art :-)
________
|       \___________________________

The fan is in the thick end. The thin end must be inserted in the PCMCIA
slot.
It's not really a big cooler (just 2-3 Celsius degrees less than
without), but at least it's something.
It doesen't GUARANTEE cpu doesen't overheat, but just TRIES.

BYtE,
 Diego.

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf