* fmorgan
@ 2002-12-24 17:41 Jan Willem Stumpel
From: Jan Willem Stumpel @ 2002-12-24 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Anybody got the old Soundblaster demo, fmorgan, to work? How,
which hard/software, what tricks?

My first Soundblaster (1991 or so) came with a lot of demos. They
are nice tests for the sound capabilities of dosemu. My results so
far:

Sbtalker (reads English texts, from a text file, aloud): works

Dr. Sbaitso (Eliza-type "psychiatrist" program): crashes when I
use kernel 2.2.18 + OSS, works OK with kernel 2.4.16 + ALSA

Talking Parrot: works somewhat; speed is too low, pitch is too
low, there are gaps in the sound

Fmorgan: does not crash, appears to work, but no sound

Playcmf: does not crash, appears to do something, but nothing audible

This with dosemu 1.1.4, Sound Blaster 128 PCI (Ensoniq 1371) sound
card. I'd especially like to get fmorgan to work.. suggestions,
anyone?

Regards, Jan

* Re: fmorgan
@ 2002-12-25 20:52 ` Jan Willem Stumpel
From: Jan Willem Stumpel @ 2002-12-25 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Stas Sergeev wrote:

> The only thing you can do is to adjust the DIRECT_WRITE_FREQ
> constant in linux_sound.h

Worked perfectly, thanks, and M.C. to you!

Regards, Jan

* Re: fmorgan
@ 2002-12-24 20:40 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2002-12-24 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Willem Stumpel; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello.

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
>>> Talking Parrot: works somewhat; speed is too low, pitch is too
>>> low, there are gaps in the sound
>> URL where I can get that prog?
> Don't know.. here is what I have.
OK, this program uses a direct DAC
writes rather than a DMA output.
The problem is that the output frequency
is unknown in that case and can vary.
So this cannot be fixed.
The only thing you can do is to adjust
the DIRECT_WRITE_FREQ constant in
linux_sound.h to satisfy the needs of
a particular program (but you will not
get a perfection anyway as the frequency
is not necessary a constant in that mode).
DMA-less output is an extremely absolete
method and fortunately is rarely used with
a DMA-capable cards like SB.

* Re: fmorgan
@ 2002-12-24 19:19 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2002-12-24 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Anybody got the old Soundblaster demo, fmorgan, to work?
If it is an FM-Organ, then no, FM
music/Adlib is not supported yet.

> How, which hard/software, what tricks?
bochs might do that.

> Dr. Sbaitso (Eliza-type "psychiatrist" program):
Works perfectly for me.

> crashes when I
> use kernel 2.2.18 + OSS, works OK with kernel 2.4.16 + ALSA
There are lots of buggy OSSes, supporting
all of them is not possible. ALSA is
known to be less buggy.

> Talking Parrot: works somewhat; speed is too low, pitch is too
> low, there are gaps in the sound
URL where I can get that prog?

> Fmorgan: does not crash, appears to work, but no sound
> Playcmf: does not crash, appears to do something, but nothing audible
Correct.