* windows ate my superblock (try 2)
@ 2002-12-25  0:41 Raphael Bosshard
       [not found] ` <20021227000547.GK21906@jensbenecke.de>
       [not found] ` <200212271819.SAA09071@wg.pu.ru>
From: Raphael Bosshard @ 2002-12-25  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hi there!

My little brother tried to install windows on my computer this morning
("don't touch my linux-partitions" i told him) but he let windows eat
them anyway. my reiserfs-data partition also. (scandisk checking and
"repairing", only partly AFAIK, AFAIH)

Mount failed with:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb,
      or too many mounted file systems

so I tried a reiserfsck which resulted in a

reiserfs_open: neither new nor old reiserfs format found on /dev/hdd2
reiserfsck: could not open filesystem on "/dev/hdd2"

Some digging in the mailinglist pointed out that the superblock was
destroyed, so I tried to rebuild it with:

reiserfsck --no-journal-available --rebuild-sb

reiserfsck now recognises the reiserfs-partition, but fails because
there is no journal/wrong journal parameters.

(Filesystem with standard journal found, --no-journal-available is ignored
reiserfs_open_journal: wrong journal parameters found in the super block.)

Finaly my question: Is there a way to find out the right parameters and
create a new journal?

Any help is appreciated, really. ;)
Happy new year!

Raphael

(Please CC me, I'm not on the list.)

* Re: windows ate my superblock (try 2)
       [not found] ` <20021227000547.GK21906@jensbenecke.de>
@ 2002-12-27 11:45   ` Raphael Bosshard
From: Raphael Bosshard @ 2002-12-27 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hi there!

No, the partition table seems to be allright, at least I had no problems
with it.

I tried "reiserfsck --rebuild-sb" without the "--no-journal-available"
parameter, but it failed:

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you
do):Yes
super.c 218 rebuild_sb
Reiserfs with standard journal found, but there was specified a journal dev

(The thing about the journal dev is strange; I'm quite sure I didn't
specify an special journal device when I created the fs.)

If you think things are messed up beyond repair, just tell me. I'll
invest my energy in recovering some of the data. ;)

But still; any help is appreciated.

And if there are some documentations to be translated to german, just
tell me. My german is better than my english and I'm quite willing to help.

Raphael

@ 2002-12-28 15:20   ` Raphael Bosshard
From: Raphael Bosshard @ 2002-12-28 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Fertman, reiserfs-list

Hi there!

that did it. It took ages to restore the whole filesystem but now almost
everthing is back in place. At least the important things. Many, many
"thank you"s to you all (from my brother too ;)  )

And if I can help you by translating something (to german); please feel
free to mail me.

Happy new year!

Raphael