* Re: [Powertop] Process-level power estimation
@ 2013-07-17 12:16 Miguel Ferreira
From: Miguel Ferreira @ 2013-07-17 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

I forgot to mention that I'm using PowerTop 2.3

And I'm sorry for the HTML message! These dam signatures...

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently doing research into power profiling tools and PowerTop is one of the tools I would like to test.
>
> Because the research I'm doing is on server hardware I had to use an external power meter with PowerTop.
> I've decided to use a Watts Up? Pro meter because I already had one, so I changed the code (in src/measurement/extech.cpp) that reads from the Extech to read from the Watts Up? Pro.
> As a result PowerTop now reports on energy drain and that seems correct.
>
> I read in other threads that PowerTop needs to accumulate measurements before it can provide process-level power estimates.
> I also read that it should collect (roughly) over 100 measurements.
> So I ran PowerTop in calibration mode and then left it running for over 30 minutes (with an update interval of 1 second).
> Still I don't get the first column ("Power est.") shown in the About page of the website.
>
> I'm wondering how can I check if PowerTop is collecting measurements at all?
> Or do I just need to let it run for longer?

Miguel
Miguel Ferreira | Researcher
+31 20 314 09 50 | m.ferreira(a)sig.eu
Software Improvement Group | www.sig.eu

* [Powertop] Process-level power estimation
@ 2013-07-17 12:12 Miguel Ferreira
From: Miguel Ferreira @ 2013-07-17 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop