* Re: Clipper printing problem with FreeDOS: try this...
       [not found] <200303141245.NAA18010@gnome.at.coli.uni-sb.de>
@ 2003-03-19 20:15 ` Norman Schmidt Jr
From: Norman Schmidt Jr @ 2003-03-19 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Auer; +Cc: fd-dev, linux-msdos

  BINGO!
Thank you very much Eric, your tip hit right to the spot!
After two days of testing:
DOSEMU 1.1.4.13 with FREEDOS kernels :
2.0.25_16 = clipper printing OK, but DBF locking problems detected
(corruption a/o crashing)
2.0.25a_16 = clipper printing OK, but DBF locking problems detected
(corruption a/o crashing)
2.0.25b_16 = clipper printing OK, but DBF locking problems detected
(corruption a/o crashing)
2.0.25c_16 = clipper printing OK, but DBF locking problems detected
(corruption a/o crashing)
2.0.26_16 = clipper printing OK, no file locking problems detected
2.0.26a_16 = clipper printing OK, no file locking problems detected
2.0.26b_16 = clipper printing OK, no file locking problems detected
*2.0.27_16 = clipper printing DEAD, dumps to screen, no file locking
problems detected
*2.0.28_16 = clipper printing DEAD, dumps to screen, no file locking
problems detected
*2.0.28_16ax = clipper printing DEAD, dumps to screen, no file locking
problems detected
I still didnt have time to test with the new 2.0.29 kernel (but as far
as I know 2.0.29 is the "official " 2.0.28ax, correct?) nor with the new
dosemu 1.1.4.15, since I believe this is strictly a freedos issue.
Its now clear that the trouble with clipper printing started at 2.0.27.
Im now back to 2.0.26b, running and printing from various clipper apps
in a mixed network (samba+win) with no trouble.
Regards,
Norman

Eric Auer escreveu:

>>...printing from clipper apps still dumps all data directly to screen...
>>After reading tons of old posts on mailing lists archives, I got the
>>impression that clipper printing worked seamlessly in older versions of
>>dosemu+freedos, is that true? Im using only last-bleeding-edge versions,
>>but if an old version solves the problem, I will try it.
>>

>I think you should check 1.0.2 and several 1.1.3/4.x versions of
>DOSEMU, and several 2025..2028ax versions of FreeDOS. Obviously,
>trying different FreeDOS versions is easier than trying different
>DOSEMU versions, so you may want to try that first. Finally, you
>said that your current DOSEMU does work with MS / DR DOS kernels,
>so the bug is likely to be caused by FreeDOS.
>
>You should contact both the FreeDOS and the DOSEMU developers mailing
>lists to ask if others have experienced similar problems before.
>Maybe there is some change in the configuration file processing or
>printer emulation that breaks Clipper printing for you - then adjusting
>the DOSEMU configuration could help.
>
>I know that all this is much work, but knowing exactly when the bug
>was introduced will make it easier to find the bug. Alternatively,
>you can use the debug log function of DOSEMU and compare the reaction
>to TYPE ... > PRN to the reaction to Clipper printing. This may allow
>you to figure out the bug location without having to try several
>FreeDOS and DOSEMU versions.
>
>(Norman uses the 1.1 series of DOSEMU and the FreeDOS kernel from
> http://freedos.sourceforge.net/emm386/ke2028ax.zip as far as I know.)
>

>PS: Feel free to strip the explanation of binary search from this
>mail and forward the rest to both FD-DEV and DOSEMU-DEVEL.
>
>Eric

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-03-19 20:15 UTC | newest]