* Package for reading hardware information such as BIOS Version etc ..
@ 2003-03-19 17:43 Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS)
From: Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS) @ 2003-03-19 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Hi Friends...
Thank you all for all your responses for my previous mails..!!

I am running RedHat Linux 8.0 on my Dell Latitude C610 Laptop. I am
using the i8k package
which reports the information such as BIOS Version, Serial Number, fan
status, CPU temperature...etc.

I believe it is SMM BIOS for Dell Latitude Laptops. I don't even what
this SMM BIOS means?

But when I am running the same i8k module on my Dell GX260 which runs
same RedHat Linux 8.0,
it reports an error message that
"unsupported model Dell Optiplex GX260
unable to get SMM Dell Signature
unable to get SMM BIOS Version"

What is the BIOS that comes with Dell Optiplex GX260? Is there any other
package to read the serial number
from BIOS, as we do with i8k module on Dell Laptops? Please tell me if I
am not clear
with what I am saying.

If anybody has got an idea on this, please share with me.
Thank you all in advance...

Thanks and Regards,
Pradeep

From: Bruce Ferrell @ 2003-03-20  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS); +Cc: linux-admin

I just ran across something called lshw.  I think I found it on freshmeat.

@ 2003-03-24 18:55   ` Mr. James W. Laferriere
From: Mr. James W. Laferriere @ 2003-03-24 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ferrell; +Cc: linux-admin

	Hello Bruce ,  Might you know who is the package maintainer ?
	None of the files in the only copy I could find have this
	information .  There is not a README file or much of anything to
	describe the package in the package .
	Without a little more info about who or what is maintaining this
	package I am a little more than skepical about its utility .
	I guess I will have to do a code inventory to see if there are
	any little hidden things involved .  Tia ,  JimL

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> I see messages like that from a system that has a S.M.A.R.T. technology
> drive installed and the bios doesn't have support for it.
>

> Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS) wrote:
> > I downloaded lshw-T.00.07.tar.gz and compiled. When I execute lshw in
> > X-Terminal, it works fine.
> > But when I executed it in the Virtual Terminal(Text Mode) , it generates
> > the output,but
> > before that it displays two error messages.
> >
> > "hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> >  hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04 "
> >
> > I don't understand what these error messages mean?  Can someone explain
> > me these error messages and why
> > I am getting these?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Pradeep

       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer |     P.O. Box 854     |  Give me Linux  |
       | babydr@baby-dragons.com | Coudersport PA 16915 |   only  on  AXP |

* Re: Package for reading hardware information such as BIOS Version etc ..
@ 2003-03-21  3:11 ` Bruce Ferrell
From: Bruce Ferrell @ 2003-03-21  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS); +Cc: linux-admin

@ 2003-03-20 17:31 Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS)