* linux appears to be missing calendar program
@ 2003-06-22  2:11 jude dashiell
From: jude dashiell @ 2003-06-22  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Is there source for calendar for linux somewhere on the web?  I'd hate to
have it said microsoft outlook can do something useful linux cannot?

--
-

* Re: linux appears to be missing calendar program
@ 2003-06-22  2:56 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-06-22  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 10:11 PM 6/21/2003 -0400, jude dashiell wrote:
>Is there source for calendar for linux somewhere on the web?  I'd hate to
>have it said microsoft outlook can do something useful linux cannot?

Since I don't use Outlook, I'm not sure what the "something useful" it can
do is. And "calendar for linux" does not actualy name any program I am
familiar with. At first, I thought you were just misnaming the familiar
"cal" program, but on reflection, I suspect you want something more PDA'ish.

In that case, a quick search of the Debian package database turns up these
possibilities:

         ccal - Colorised calendar utility
         gcal - Prints calendars
         gdeskcal - A desktop calendar featuring transparency with smooth
alpha-blending
         gnome-pim - calendar and address book for GNOME
         gnome-pim-conduits - Palm synchronization for calendar and address
book
         korganizer - KDE personal organizer
         kronolith - Web Based Calendar Manager
         plan - X/Motif day planner (dynamically compiled with LessTif)
         remind - a sophisticated reminder service
         wmdate - Calendar for window manager docking bars
         xcal - a graphical calendar with memos and reminder alarms

I have not run any of these so cannot comment on their specifics, aside
from noting that they are almost all X applications so not actually
specific to Linux.

To find any of them, your best starting place is the package collection for
your distro. If that fails, Google is your friend.

-

* Re: linux appears to be missing calendar program
@ 2003-06-22  3:35   ` jude dashiell
From: jude dashiell @ 2003-06-22  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski; +Cc: linux-newbie

Unix has a calendar capability.  If you have a file called .calendar in
your home directory on a Unix system, when dates and events come due that
are listed in that file the system can be so arranged that a user will get
email reminders about those events.  That particular function of Unix most
definitely present in freebsd has been responsible for saving marriages
because husbands didn't forget their aniverserary dates among other dates.
In these other versions of unix, the calendar management can get done
without having to use emacs or python as an example.

--
-

* Re: linux appears to be missing calendar program
@ 2003-06-22  3:38   ` jude dashiell
From: jude dashiell @ 2003-06-22  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski; +Cc: linux-newbie

I can't use any of the x applications.  I'll find out what the interface
status on remind is, thanks.

--
-

* Re: linux appears to be missing calendar program
@ 2003-06-22  3:53     ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-06-22  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 11:35 PM 6/21/2003 -0400, jude dashiell wrote:
>Unix has a calendar capability.  If you have a file called .calendar in
>your home directory on a Unix system, when dates and events come due that
>are listed in that file the system can be so arranged that a user will get
>email reminders about those events.  That particular function of Unix most
>definitely present in freebsd has been responsible for saving marriages
>because husbands didn't forget their aniverserary dates among other dates.
>In these other versions of unix, the calendar management can get done
>without having to use emacs or python as an example.

Oh, now I get it. (Your earlier reference to Outlook threw me off.)

Actually, I find I have this very utility ("calendar") on my Linux system,
installed from a Debian package called "bsdmainutils". You might see if
your distro has a similar package.

Yes, remind is another possibility. The Debian package system also lists
"birthday", described as follows:

         Given a list of the dates of various different events, works out and
         displays a list of those which will come up in the next couple of
         weeks. This was originally designed for birthdays, but can equally be
         used for reminders about yearly events, or for a running diary.

So there do seem to be some good options here.

-

* Re: linux appears to be missing calendar program
@ 2003-06-22  4:02     ` jude dashiell
From: jude dashiell @ 2003-06-22  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski; +Cc: linux-newbie

I found remind on the web at http://www.roaringpenguin.com/remind.html and
it has both an x interface and a text interface.

--
-

* Re: linux appears to be missing calendar program
@ 2003-06-22 15:58 ` Stephen Samuel
From: Stephen Samuel @ 2003-06-22 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jude dashiell; +Cc: linux-newbie

jude dashiell wrote:
> Is there source for calendar for linux somewhere on the web?  I'd hate to
> have it said microsoft outlook can do something useful linux cannot?

There are all sorts f
calendar programs available .. ranging from
ical and jpilot to cal.

cal is the simplest, and simply prints out a numeric calendar
fr a given month/year

cal 8 2003 will print out a calender  for this august
cal 2004 will print out next year's calender
cal 9 1752 will show the month that they cut 10 day out
of the calendar to get back in sync with the solar year.
--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel@bcgreen.com
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/

-