* Having Trouble Starting NFS
@ 2003-06-20 19:44 Dan Steward
From: Dan Steward @ 2003-06-20 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

Hello Gentlemen,

I recently installed Redhat Linux 9.0 on a Compaq laptop. When I try and
mount our network NFS, I receive the following error message in the
/var/log/messages log file: nfs: mount failure "servername" /home on
/auto/home. Can some one please assist this newbie on getting NFS
running on this laptop?

Thanks
DS

* Re: Having Trouble Starting NFS
@ 2003-06-21 10:28 ` Steve Dickson
From: Steve Dickson @ 2003-06-21 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Steward; +Cc: nfs

Hello,

Dan Steward wrote:

> I recently installed Redhat Linux 9.0 on a Compaq laptop. When I try=20
> and mount our network NFS, I receive the following error message in=20
> the /var/log/messages log file: nfs: mount failure =93servername=94 /ho=
me=20
> on /auto/home. Can some one please assist this newbie on getting NFS=20
> running on this laptop?

There are quite a few things that could be misconfigured...
I would suggest the first place you start is by reading the configuration
section in the FAQ on http://nfs.sourceforge.net....

SteveD.

* Re: Having Trouble Starting NFS
@ 2003-06-22 17:36 ` Robert Myers
From: Robert Myers @ 2003-06-22 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Steward; +Cc: nfs

Dan Steward wrote:

> Hello Gentlemen,
>
> I recently installed Redhat Linux 9.0 on a Compaq laptop. When I try
> and mount our network NFS, I receive the following error message in
> the /var/log/messages log file: nfs: mount failure “servername” /home
> on /auto/home. Can some one please assist this newbie on getting NFS
> running on this laptop?
>
> Thanks
>
> DS

Most probable cause of a failure to mount a remote disk with a naive NFS
installation is a firewall problem. Try mounting the disk manually while
watching network traffic with ethereal or tcpdump. Don't be surprised if
you see a "connection refused" message from a computer that just made an
NFS request on the same port on which it is refusing to make the connection.

RM