* ACPI and 3c556 - another attempt to get some help
@ 2003-07-13 13:45 Yaroslav Rastrigin
From: Yaroslav Rastrigin @ 2003-07-13 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody once again .

I've posted my problem here some time ago, but nobody was able to help,
maybe,because I haven't provided enough info. I'm returning to this problem
from time to time,with different results. So, another attempt:

First, I have some more questions:
1. How could I correlate device with it's respective description in DSDT ?
ACPI spec says it must be done via _ADR or _HID. How could I obtain _HID for
particular device (the device in question is MiniPCI 3c556 network card). What
kind of _ADR could I expect from MiniPCI devices ? Will it be just like
ordinary PCI devices ("%04X04X", device, function), or something different ?
I'm seeing _ADRs for every other PCI devices on this machine, except sound
device (CS46XX) and MiniPCI's, modem and NIC. Is it correct ?
2. Looking at lspci outputs , I've noticed that the only device who's settings
  are changed between boots with acpi and acpi=off is this NIC. Does it means
it's _STA or _INI is just plain wrong in DSTD ? (WinXP works fine, however,
could it be that DSDT is specifically tuned for Windows ? (I've found various
codepaths for specific "optimisations" for various MS OS'es, but using
acpi_os_name="Some MS Product" gave me nothing (useful)).
3. Could it be that this device description is simply missing from DSDT ? What
will ACPI do when undescribed device is found ? Will ACPI attempt to manage it
? Could I remove device completely from DSDT and hope it's configuration will
remain unchanged from BIOS POST settings ?

Well, and one more question:
what should I do now ? Right now I'm working with acpi=off, but acpi gives me
lots of advantages in control of my machine. On which ml should I ask ?
Where to dig ?

All data gathered uptodate could be found at:
http://www.relex.ru/~yarick/acpi

With all the best, yarick at relex dot ru

www.parasoft.com/bulletproofapps1

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-07-13 13:45 UTC | newest]