* 2.4.21 kernel upgrade and md support (especially mdp partitioned arrays)
@ 2003-07-19 16:58 Vinnie
From: Vinnie @ 2003-07-19 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Raid List

Hi all,

I'm currently running a 2.4.18 kernel on our main file/NFS server box, which
also has an mdp-style RAID1 pair of IDE drives on it (ie, thanks to Neil's
patches to allow partitioning of a RAID device, so you can build an array of
complete drives and then partition it like one drive).

I'm looking at updating to a 2.4.21 kernel on this machine due to the
higher-performance Adaptec drivers of 2.4.19 forward.  But before I can do
this, I have to be able to successfully patch the 2.4.21 kernel to support
mdp-style partitioned md devices, since the mdp RAID1 pair on this server
contains important things like the mailboxes for our domains.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting Neil's 2003-01-06 comprehensive patch to
apply against a 2.4.21 pristine kernel tree - failed hunks in the parts that
patch md.c.

Looking back at the individual patches I originally used against 2.4.18
(patch-A-MdLocking, patch-l-RaidSplit, patch-m-MdPart, patch-n-MdMajor, and
a modified patch-q-Fixes), even trying a dry run on the first of these
patches (patch-A-MdLocking) produced failed hunks.

I'm assuming that this is because at least some of Neil's patch work has
been brought into the kernel source now (as i noticed reading the 2.4.21
changelog also), but short of some serious digging into the patches and
comparing to the kernel source, I'm not sure what parts I would still need
from add-on patches to get the mdp support with a 2.4.21 kernel.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance!
vinnie

* Re: 2.4.21 kernel upgrade and md support (especially mdp partitioned arrays)
@ 2003-07-19 17:44 ` Vinnie
From: Vinnie @ 2003-07-19 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Raid List

Vinnie wrote:

> Can anyone offer any advice?

Talking at myself I guess.. ;)

I found newer sets of patches on Neil's site, I'm gonna try these first.

vinnie