* aio: current status
@ 2003-08-05 14:38 Eduardo Pérez
From: Eduardo Pérez @ 2003-08-05 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

What's the current status of linux-aio?

Is there any working example using linux-aio?

Is linux-aio going to support sockets?

Are there more linux sleeping (or blocking) API calls going to be ported to linux-aio?

Is there an official home page of linux-aio apart from the outdated:
http://www.kvack.org/~blah/aio/ ?

* Re: aio: current status
@ 2003-08-05 21:53 ` Daniel McNeil
From: Daniel McNeil @ 2003-08-05 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been testing AIO using Andrew's -mm kernels which includes
many AIO patches.  I've written some copy tests using AIO.

The libaio-0.3.93.tar ball has source to the library and man pages.
What kind of examples are you looking for?

I do not think AIO supports sockets, yet.  I would ask on the
linux-aio mailing list.

There was an interesting paper from the 2003 Linux Symposium on AIO:
http://archive.linuxsymposium.org/ols2003/Proceedings/All-Reprints/Reprint-Pulavarty-OLS2003.pdf

Daniel McNeil <daniel@osdl.org>

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 07:38, Eduardo Pérez wrote:
> What's the current status of linux-aio?
>
> Is there any working example using linux-aio?
>
> Is linux-aio going to support sockets?
>
> Are there more linux sleeping (or blocking) API calls going to be ported to linux-aio?
>
> Is there an official home page of linux-aio apart from the outdated:
> http://www.kvack.org/~blah/aio/ ?
> -

* Re: aio: current status
@ 2003-08-05 22:19   ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2003-08-05 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel McNeil wrote:
> There was an interesting paper from the 2003 Linux Symposium on AIO:
> http://archive.linuxsymposium.org/ols2003/Proceedings/All-Reprints/Reprint-Pulavarty-OLS2003.pdf

Thanks for pointing that out.  I now link to it from
http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html#aio
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com

* Re: aio: current status
@ 2003-08-06 13:25   ` Suparna Bhattacharya
From: Suparna Bhattacharya @ 2003-08-06 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 02:53:09PM -0700, Daniel McNeil wrote:
> I've been testing AIO using Andrew's -mm kernels which includes
> many AIO patches.  I've written some copy tests using AIO.

We were planning to put together an AIO web page to make it
easier to have an at-a-glance status and links to patches and
resources. Are your copy tests available somewhere ? It'd
be nice to have a link to it, so people can try it out.

Regards
Suparna

--
Suparna Bhattacharya (suparna@in.ibm.com)
Linux Technology Center

* Re: aio: current status
@ 2003-08-06 20:54     ` Daniel McNeil
From: Daniel McNeil @ 2003-08-06 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suparna Bhattacharya

My aiocp test program (source and binary) and a README is available at:
developer.osdl.org/daniel/AIO.

Daniel