* ELDK 2.1.0, kernel 2.4.21, MPC8245, ntpd
@ 2003-08-19 18:40 emanuel stiebler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: emanuel stiebler @ 2003-08-19 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hi all,
I get a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" on my system using ntpd.
I checked the archives, and there is one messeage about something like
this on a 405.

Is anybody working on this ? Did I missed some patches ?

cheers & thanks

* Re: ELDK 2.1.0, kernel 2.4.21, MPC8245, ntpd
@ 2003-08-19 19:04 ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2003-08-19 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emanuel stiebler; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

emanuel stiebler wrote:

> Hi all,
> I get a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" on my system using ntpd.
> I checked the archives, and there is one messeage about something like
> this on a 405.
>
> Is anybody working on this ? Did I missed some patches ?

If you clock is sufficiently out of date..  (I.e. 50/60 more? years
wrong) then you can get into an overflow situation.  While I've never
seen it segv, I have seen it do other 'interesting' things.

Try setting your clock to Jan 1 2000, then run ntpd and see what happens.

--Mark

@ 2003-08-19 19:04 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2003-08-19 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emanuel stiebler; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Dear Emanuel,

in message <3F426F17.3090206@ecubics.com> you wrote:

> I get a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" on my system using ntpd.

This is caused by some (I2C based RTC's in "11 minute mode".

> I checked the archives, and there is one messeage about something like
> this on a 405.
>
> Is anybody working on this ? Did I missed some patches ?

We fixed this by making this mode configurable  (and  disable  it  by
default) in our version of the linuxppc_2_4_devel tree; the patch was
added on May 29, so just "cvs update" your source tree.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd@denx.de
"A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from
a simple system that worked."             - John Gall, _Systemantics_

* Re: ELDK 2.1.0, kernel 2.4.21, MPC8245, ntpd
@ 2003-08-19 19:09 ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2003-08-19 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emanuel stiebler; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

emanuel stiebler wrote:
> I get a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" on my system using ntpd.
> I checked the archives, and there is one messeage about something like
> this on a 405.
>
> Is anybody working on this ? Did I missed some patches ?

No idea, but if you're using ELDK binaries, you might check
with their mailing list.

And then there's always compiling ntpd yourself and running
it under gdb or gdbserver to see where it's crashing...
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com

* Re: ELDK 2.1.0, kernel 2.4.21, MPC8245, ntpd
@ 2003-08-19 19:32   ` emanuel stiebler
From: emanuel stiebler @ 2003-08-19 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Mark Hatle wrote:

> emanuel stiebler wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> I get a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" on my system using ntpd.
>> I checked the archives, and there is one messeage about something like
>> this on a 405.
>>
>> Is anybody working on this ? Did I missed some patches ?
>

> If you clock is sufficiently out of date..  (I.e. 50/60 more? years
> wrong) then you can get into an overflow situation.  While I've never
> seen it segv, I have seen it do other 'interesting' things.
>
> Try setting your clock to Jan 1 2000, then run ntpd and see what happens.

I checked that already ;-)
I set the clock manually before that, and the difference between the
server and the local clock was less than a minute.

@ 2003-08-19 19:41   ` emanuel stiebler
From: emanuel stiebler @ 2003-08-19 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Emanuel,
>
> in message <3F426F17.3090206@ecubics.com> you wrote:
>
>>I get a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" on my system using ntpd.
>

> This is caused by some (I2C based RTC's in "11 minute mode".

Sorry Wolfgang,

this one is a STMicro M48T86 (ds12887 compatible), and is sitting on the
local bus ...

>>I checked the archives, and there is one messeage about something like
>>this on a 405.
>>
>>Is anybody working on this ? Did I missed some patches ?
>

> We fixed this by making this mode configurable  (and  disable  it  by
> default) in our version of the linuxppc_2_4_devel tree; the patch was
> added on May 29, so just "cvs update" your source tree.

I have to check again, but the kernel was made on july 15. And usually I
update my sources before build. But I check again ...

Thanks,
emanuel

* RE: ELDK 2.1.0, kernel 2.4.21, MPC8245, ntpd
@ 2003-08-19 19:38 Johnson, Stephen
From: Johnson, Stephen @ 2003-08-19 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dan Kegel', emanuel stiebler; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Is ntpd trying to update your RTC out on i2c in interrupt context?