* [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?
@ 2003-10-01 14:07 Sven Köhler
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Sven Köhler @ 2003-10-01 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

my P2B-DS is blacklisted and the kernel forced acpi=ht. i wonder why
because P2B-D is not blacklisted.

There is no comment or any other hint for a reason in dmi_scan.c :-(

I would like to try what happens if i remove the board from the
blacklist. What can i test to see if it works properly? And what is the
worse case of what could happen?

Do i have to edit dmi_scan.c for my test or is there something like
acpi=force?

* Re: [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?
@ 2003-10-01 14:16 ` Andrew de Quincey
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew de Quincey @ 2003-10-01 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Köhler, linux-kernel

On Wednesday 01 Oct 2003 3:07 pm, Sven Köhler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my P2B-DS is blacklisted and the kernel forced acpi=ht. i wonder why
> because P2B-D is not blacklisted.
>
> There is no comment or any other hint for a reason in dmi_scan.c :-(
>
> I would like to try what happens if i remove the board from the
> blacklist. What can i test to see if it works properly? And what is the
> worse case of what could happen?
>
> Do i have to edit dmi_scan.c for my test or is there something like
> acpi=force?

I'm sure I saw a comment somewhere saying the P2B-S was blacklisted because of
"bogus IRQ routing". It was in the blacklisting code, but I can't remember
where, or if it was 2.4 or 2.6.

* Re: [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?
@ 2003-10-01 14:53   ` Sven Köhler
From: Sven Köhler @ 2003-10-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> I'm sure I saw a comment somewhere saying the P2B-S was blacklisted because of
> "bogus IRQ routing". It was in the blacklisting code, but I can't remember
> where, or if it was 2.4 or 2.6.

Well, the P2B-S is in blacklist.c in 2.4.22.

What does the entry in blacklist.c mean? Does this entry mean acpi=ht is
forced like the entry for the P2B-DS in dmi_scan.c?

Is this a hardwired problem on the Motherboard? Or might this be fixed
with the latest BIOS?

I'd like to try ACPI on my P2B-DS anyway. I think there was an append
line to disable ACPI IRQ Routing - was it acpi=pci?

* Re: [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?
@ 2003-10-01 15:05     ` Andrew de Quincey
From: Andrew de Quincey @ 2003-10-01 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Köhler, linux-kernel

On Wednesday 01 Oct 2003 3:53 pm, Sven Köhler wrote:
> > I'm sure I saw a comment somewhere saying the P2B-S was blacklisted
> > because of "bogus IRQ routing". It was in the blacklisting code, but I
> > can't remember where, or if it was 2.4 or 2.6.
>
> Well, the P2B-S is in blacklist.c in 2.4.22.
>
> What does the entry in blacklist.c mean? Does this entry mean acpi=ht is
> forced like the entry for the P2B-DS in dmi_scan.c?

Not sure.. I think it is likely to disable ACPI completely.

> Is this a hardwired problem on the Motherboard? Or might this be fixed
> with the latest BIOS?

It would be a problem with the DSDT code in the BIOS. It might be fixed in a
later one.

There have been lots of ACPI IRQ routing bugfixes (not all in the mainline
kernel yet); maybe the P2B-S routing is solved by one of these, maybe not...

> I'd like to try ACPI on my P2B-DS anyway. I think there was an append
> line to disable ACPI IRQ Routing - was it acpi=pci?

pci=noacpi should do it I think.

* Re: [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?
@ 2003-10-01 17:11 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2003-10-01 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Köhler; +Cc: linux-kernel

Sven Köhler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my P2B-DS is blacklisted and the kernel forced acpi=ht. i wonder why
> because P2B-D is not blacklisted.

Asus P2B-D (Dual Pentium2 400 Mhz SMP motherboard) works fine under
ACPI, and has worked fine for ages.  I'll be quite disappointed if
recent ACPI updates broke it.

	Jeff

* Re: [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?
@ 2003-10-01 17:16   ` Sven Köhler
From: Sven Köhler @ 2003-10-01 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-kernel

>> my P2B-DS is blacklisted and the kernel forced acpi=ht. i wonder why
>> because P2B-D is not blacklisted.
>
> Asus P2B-D (Dual Pentium2 400 Mhz SMP motherboard) works fine under
> ACPI, and has worked fine for ages.  I'll be quite disappointed if
> recent ACPI updates broke it.

No it doesn't. Only P2B-S and P2B-DS are listed. I don't know why yet,
but i will report if ACPI works fine. I think i'll try this tonight
although nobody has prophesied me what might happen yet.

Will the kernel just stop booting? or will my machine just crash and
damage my reiserfs?

* Re: [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?
@ 2003-10-01 18:23 ` Mike Dresser
From: Mike Dresser @ 2003-10-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 436 bytes --]

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, [ISO-8859-15] Sven Köhler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my P2B-DS is blacklisted and the kernel forced acpi=ht. i wonder why
> because P2B-D is not blacklisted.

Well, I remember having issues with the P2B-D boards under Windows, in
that the second cpu would stay at 100% cpu usage in task manager.
Suggested fix was a hardware modification that ASUS would perform, or the
user could do themselves.

Probably unrelated :)

Mike

* Re: [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-02  1:02 ` Sven Köhler
From: Sven Köhler @ 2003-10-02  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> I would like to try what happens if i remove the board from the
> blacklist.

So that was what i just did. I removed the board from the blacklist,
recompiled the kernel and booted.
The kernel started and there were some issues with the interrupt
routing. I don't remember the exact messages but i could post a dmesg if
you like.
With "pci=noapci" the computer hang upon loading the kernel module for
the SCSI controller. I remember that to be an issue too when i had
windows2k installed on that box but i could "fix" that by changing the
IRC setting in the BIOS. Changing those settings didn't help Linux to boot.

At first sight ACPI (without pci=noacpi) seemed to work but pressing the
power button didn't generate any events although the power button was
detected properly during boot.

After all i think i know why P2B-S and -DS are blacklisted. The board
with on-board SCSI controller are messed up somehow.

I haven't tried to install BIOS 1014beta3 yet. BIOS 1014beta2 is
currently installed but i guess the update won't solve anything.

With acpi=ht it works for now, but doesn't acpi=ht imply pci=noacpi?

* RE: [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?
@ 2003-10-03  6:07 ` Brown, Len
From: Brown, Len @ 2003-10-03  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Köhler, linux-kernel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

> > I would like to try what happens if i remove the board from the
> > blacklist.
>
> ... I removed the board from the blacklist,

> The kernel started and there were some issues with the interrupt
> routing....

> With "pci=noapci" the computer hang upon loading the kernel
> module for the SCSI controller.
> At first sight ACPI (without pci=noacpi) seemed to work but
> pressing the
> power button didn't generate any events although the power button was
> detected properly during boot.

Nothing registered on the acpi interrupt in /proc/interrupts?

> After all i think i know why P2B-S and -DS are blacklisted. The board
> with on-board SCSI controller are messed up somehow.
>
> I haven't tried to install BIOS 1014beta3 yet. BIOS 1014beta2 is
> currently installed but i guess the update won't solve anything.

Depends on the root cause -- try it.  If it works we can replace the current blacklist entry with one keyed off the BIOS date.

If you want Linux/ACPI to work on this board, or proof that the board can't possibly support it, then then file a bug:

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/
Category: Power Management
Component: ACPI

Attach the console log and /proc/interrupts of the failure, dmidecode output, and acpidmp output.

> With acpi=ht it works for now, but doesn't acpi=ht imply pci=noacpi?

Booting with acpi=force should be the same as removing the P2B-DS from the dmi blacklist.

acpi=ht will use ACPI for enumerating processors, and then ACPI will exit.
ACPI will not be used to configure interrupts and the interpreter will not
run so you'll get no run-time events.  If this system doesn't have HT and has MPS, then ACPI with acpi=ht does nothing for you that you don't have already.

pci=noacpi is the same as above except the interpreter _will_ run in support of run-time events.

Ie. Acpi=ht will give you "ACPI: Interpreter disabled" and pci=noacpi will not.

Cheers,
-Len

* RE: [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?
@ 2003-10-03  6:07 ` Brown, Len