* Re: USB and DMA on Alpha with 2.6.0-test7
@ 2003-10-10 17:18 David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2003-10-10 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, mru, Ivan Kokshaysky

The BUG_ON at include/asm-generic/dma-mapping.h:19 is a
bug in that "generic DMA" code ... and I've seen the
same BUG reported from PPC folk too.

All implementations of dma_supported() should check
those DMA masks directly ... instead we have

  - A "generic" implementation that only works for PCI,
    even though that method (in particular!) was intended
    to really be generic enough to work with USB;

  - Some arch-specific implementations (x86) that don't
    handle the 64-bit DMA case correctly.

We might need arch-specific implementations of that
method, and maybe Alpha is even one of them.  But if
there's going to be a default implementation for that
method, the current scheme has portability problems.

Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
> Anyway, as it is, usbnet driver won't work on i386 with
> more than 4G of RAM and 32-bit DMA USB controller.

Nope -- there's EHCI, which can handle 64-bit DMA when the
silicon allows ... which is why that test exists.

- Dave

* USB and DMA on Alpha with 2.6.0-test7
@ 2003-10-10  9:22 Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-10  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Yesterday, I compiled 2.6.0-test7 for one of my Alpha boxes.  I have
an AX8817X based USB ethernet adaptor connected to it (it's short on
PCI slots), so I compiled the usbnet module.  When I loaded usbnet, I
got a BUG at include/asm-generic/dma-mapping.h:19.  Apparently, DMA
setup only works with PCI here.  How should this be fixed?  It worked
with -test4, albeit slowly, for other reasons.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@users.sf.net