* Jitter phenomenon in the netfilter infrastructure
@ 2003-10-16  7:42 Mike-Ro-Chanel
From: Mike-Ro-Chanel @ 2003-10-16  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

Hi All,
Inspired by ipt_limit module I've written a token bucket module as a
iptables module extension.

I've observed a strange behaviour:
In the linux kernel 2.4.21 input ethernet frames are sent to the IPv4
layer by "process_backlog()" function, this one pass to ip_rcv()
hundreds of SKB elements in a single burst, its execution is limited (in
time) by 1 jiffy.
As result a regular IPv4 input traffic is looked by PREROUTING hook as
an irregular flow of packets.

Looking this phenomenon I think: an ingress bandwidth filter as
netfilter module is unfeasible.

Is my opinion wrong?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

	Mike-Ro-Chanel

* Re: Jitter phenomenon in the netfilter infrastructure
@ 2003-10-16 12:30 ` Harald Welte
From: Harald Welte @ 2003-10-16 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike-Ro-Chanel; +Cc: netfilter-devel