* root login
@ 2003-10-22 13:58 David Kesselring
From: David Kesselring @ 2003-10-22 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

I apologize for the many recent questions but I have another trivia
question for all of you. :-)
I have installed the RH7.3 miniport to a harddrive connected to a MIPS
Malta board. The kernel the comes with the port (2.4.18) works fine. I
then took the cvs code (2.4.22) for mips and built it for malta. The first
few builds worked ok (which means I could logon as root). Then I changed
something in the build process so that now the kernels which I build won't
allow me to logon as root. I've changed /etc/passwd to eliminate the root
pw. Does anyone know how a kernel can affect the login like this?
Thanks,

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC
dkesselr@mmc.atmel.com
919-462-6587

* Re: root login
@ 2003-10-22 14:15 ` Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH
From: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH @ 2003-10-22 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kesselring; +Cc: linux-mips

Hmm, I remember that we had once a similar problem, but I can't remember
the reason
nor the solution. It appeared that we where not able to login as root,
but user login was possible.
Logged in as user I was allowed to 'su' to root.
Perhaps this may be a hint, perhaps not, perhaps Bruno remembers the
solution???

Tiemo

David Kesselring wrote:

>I apologize for the many recent questions but I have another trivia
>question for all of you. :-)
>I have installed the RH7.3 miniport to a harddrive connected to a MIPS
>Malta board. The kernel the comes with the port (2.4.18) works fine. I
>then took the cvs code (2.4.22) for mips and built it for malta. The first
>few builds worked ok (which means I could logon as root). Then I changed
>something in the build process so that now the kernels which I build won't
>allow me to logon as root. I've changed /etc/passwd to eliminate the root
>pw. Does anyone know how a kernel can affect the login like this?
>Thanks,
>
>David Kesselring
>Atmel MMC
>dkesselr@mmc.atmel.com
>919-462-6587

Tiemo Krueger       Tel:  +49 48 73 90 19 86
mycable GmbH        Fax: +49 48 73 90 19 76
Boeker Stieg 43
D-24613 Aukrug      eMail: tk@mycable.de

Public Kryptographic Key is available on request

* Re: root login
@ 2003-10-22 15:12   ` Joerg Ritter
From: Joerg Ritter @ 2003-10-22 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

You have probably enabled secure tty.
Please check /etc/securetty and add /dev/ttys0 or /dev/tts/0 (for devfs).

/Joerg

Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH schrieb:
> Hmm, I remember that we had once a similar problem, but I can't remember
> the reason
> nor the solution. It appeared that we where not able to login as root,
> but user login was possible.
> Logged in as user I was allowed to 'su' to root.
> Perhaps this may be a hint, perhaps not, perhaps Bruno remembers the
> solution???
>
> Tiemo
>
> David Kesselring wrote:
>
>> I apologize for the many recent questions but I have another trivia
>> question for all of you. :-)
>> I have installed the RH7.3 miniport to a harddrive connected to a MIPS
>> Malta board. The kernel the comes with the port (2.4.18) works fine. I
>> then took the cvs code (2.4.22) for mips and built it for malta. The
>> first
>> few builds worked ok (which means I could logon as root). Then I changed
>> something in the build process so that now the kernels which I build
>> won't
>> allow me to logon as root. I've changed /etc/passwd to eliminate the root
>> pw. Does anyone know how a kernel can affect the login like this?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David Kesselring
>> Atmel MMC
>> dkesselr@mmc.atmel.com
>> 919-462-6587

* Re: root login
@ 2003-10-23 18:51   ` David Kesselring
From: David Kesselring @ 2003-10-23 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH; +Cc: linux-mips

I am able to login as a user and su to root. I still have not found the
reason for the problem. Well, for now I have something that works.
Thanks for the help.
David

@ 2003-10-24  8:57     ` Gleb O. Raiko
From: Gleb O. Raiko @ 2003-10-24  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kesselring; +Cc: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH, linux-mips

David Kesselring wrote:

> I am able to login as a user and su to root. I still have not found the
> reason for the problem. Well, for now I have something that works.

Current date is too far from a file timestamp. Try back to the future.
:-)

Regrads,
Gleb.

* Re: Root login...
@ 2001-10-10 18:47 ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2001-10-10 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasad, Siva; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

"Prasad, Siva" wrote:

> I used HHL Journeyman 2.0 PPC 7xx to build ramdisk for our custom PPC 750
> board. When I try to execute, it gives the login prompt. But when I type
> 'root' and hit enter, it gives me back login prompt again. Basically it is
> not logging in.

It looks like you are missing /bin/login.  Assuming the initscripts
started up properly, take a look at the various logs in "/var/log" and
you should see an error message from getty explaining what is wrong.

Once you add in /bin/login, you will need the pam shared lib,
/etc/pam.d/login and the assorted pam "module" (/lib/security/pam_*) for
what is specified in /etc/pam.d/login.

However, if you don't care about security then you can just create a
file /etc/pam.conf with the following:

# Permit an open system [Dangerous!]
other   account         required        pam_permit.so
other   auth            required        pam_permit.so
other   password        required        pam_permit.so
other   session         required        pam_permit.so

And make sure that you copy /lib/security/pam_permit.so

--Mark

> /bin
> bash cat cp date echo ls mount ping ps sh stty umount
>
> /dev
> console ram0 tty ttyS0
>
> /sbin
> fsck getty halt ifconfig init insmod lsmod modprobe reboot shutdown sulogin
>
> /etc
> fstab (with /dev/root, /dev/ram0 and /proc)
> passwd
> group
> inittad (as is from HHL Journeyman)
> rc.d (as is from HHL Journeyman)
> init.d (as is from HHL Journeyman)
> default (as is from HHL Journeyman)
>
> and create few other directories...
> /root /proc /mnt /usr /tmp /var
>
> -- Siva

* Root login...
@ 2001-10-04 22:43 Prasad, Siva
From: Prasad, Siva @ 2001-10-04 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hi,

I used HHL Journeyman 2.0 PPC 7xx to build ramdisk for our custom PPC 750
board. When I try to execute, it gives the login prompt. But when I type
'root' and hit enter, it gives me back login prompt again. Basically it is
not logging in.

What might be the problem that is causing this?. I tried with just "/bin/sh"
and it directly gives me the shell prompt as expected... when I put
"/sbin/init", it gives this login problem.

Any help would be great.

Am I missing any files???.
I put the following files in ramdisk...