* Re: DOSEMU SPX PDETHER SOLVED!!!!
@ 2003-10-29 19:44 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2003-10-29 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Eckhardt; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello.

Peter Eckhardt wrote:
> Sorry for late answer, i am quite busy at the moment ...
OK, thanks for the reply.
Although it is not polite to CC the
private replies to the public list, I am
doing that in hope that your info may be
usefull for others (hope you don't mind,
but please CC the list next time if there
is nothing private).

>> used tunctil). You have probably brought it
>> up with ifconfig?
> looks as if persistent tap devices were already present. I simply used
> ifconfig tap0 up.
Yes, that's what I had in mind. The
persistent tap devices were *not* present
and that's why you had to use ifconfig to
bring them up. Dosemu can either create a
new TAP device in a "down" state (your case)
or bind to a persistent TAP device that may
be already "up" (or may not).

>> Also it is not clear how have
>> you connected the TAP interface with an outside
>> world.
> I have patched the ipxbridge makefile to bridge between eth0 and tap0.
The general strategy is to use the brctl
for that. Are there any reasons to use the
patched ipxbridge instead?
I am also wondering if it is possible to
establish some routing. I think with help
of the ipx_route and ipx_interface utilities
it is possible to avoid the bridging entirely.
Can this please be verified?
Asking this all I am only thinking about
fulfilling the gaps in your previous description,
because dealing with TAPs is the only untrivial
thing there and you forgot to describe it.

* Re: DOSEMU SPX PDETHER SOLVED!!!!
@ 2003-10-24 17:06 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2003-10-24 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Peter Eckhardt wrote:
> But as I didn't find documentation
> how to make the above work in current dosemus i will summarize
> how to get SPX working
You are right, the docs were not properly
updated to reflect the TUN/TAP support
addition as noone have ever really tested
it (before you:)

> $_vnet="tap"
Very nice. At least now we know it really
works.

> Make sure /dev/net/tun is accessible by the user who runs dosemu.
I think you forgot to describe how you dealt
with the TAP interfaces. When dosemu opens
the /dev/net/tun and requests the TAP interface,
it is created in a "down" state (unless you
used tunctil). You have probably brought it
up with ifconfig? Also it is not clear how have
you connected the TAP interface with an outside
world. This is an essential difference with
an older way where dosemu used the ethernet
interfaces directly and no additional work
was necessary. Everything else (not TAP-related)
is mostly documented and applies to the TAP
just as well as to the older methods.

* Re: DOSEMU SPX PDETHER SOLVED!!!!
@ 2003-10-24  8:27 ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2003-10-24  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Eckhardt; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Peter Eckhardt wrote:

> i just respond to my own mail. But as I didn't find documentation
> how to make the above work in current dosemus i will summarize
> how to get SPX working

cool! I'll update the NOVELL HOWTO with your information -- that
might save others some time.

Just one comment, answering your question about a boot directory:

> 1. Create a dosemu image which uses msdos or drdos (i used drdos)

Well this should not be necessary. You can just create a directory,
say <DOSEMU_LIBDIR>/drdos, copy all your DRDOS files to it and set.
$_hdimage = "<DOSEMU_LIBDIR>/drdos".
Or copy drdos' ibmbio.com/ibmdos.com/command.com to the directory that
contains kernel.sys. That automatically overrides it.

What is the problem with FreeDOS in this case by the way?

Bart

* DOSEMU SPX PDETHER SOLVED!!!!
@ 2003-10-24  7:28 Peter Eckhardt
From: Peter Eckhardt @ 2003-10-24  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hi,

i just respond to my own mail. But as I didn't find documentation
how to make the above work in current dosemus i will summarize
how to get SPX working

1. Create a dosemu image which uses msdos or drdos (i used drdos)
    I did it as follows
      cd <DOSEMU_LIBDIR>
      mkfat_image16 -k 32768 -p > drdos.img

      in your .dosemurc change
      $_hdimage to read
      $_hdimage="<DOSEMU_LIBDIR/freedos.img <DOSEMU_LIBDIR>/drdos.img"

      if you are on it also set
      $_ipx_support=(off)
      $_pktdriver=(on)
      $_novell_hack=(on)
      $_netdev="tap0"
      $_vnet="tap"

      start dosemu (your drdos image should now be on D:)
      in dosemu do format D: (that didn't work when run from the drdos
      install, don't know why)

      in your .dsoemurc change
      $_hdimage to $_hdimage="<DOSEMU_LIBDIR/drdos.img"

      Create drdos floppies and run

      dosemu -A with the first disk in floppy A (usually /dev/fd0)
      install drdos

      Copy the dosemu gnu and help directories from your old
installation          	to the drdos image. You can use the same scanrio
as above.

      Create a tmp directory in C:

      Edit your config.sys and autoexec.bat

      - config.sys

      SWITCHES=/F
      DOS=UMB,HIGH
      dosdata=umb
      DEVICEHIGH=C:\dosemu\ems.sys
      DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRDOS\SETVER.EXE
      SHELLHIGH=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:1024 /P
      BREAK=OFF
      BUFFERS=15
      FILES=40
      FCBS=4,4
      LASTDRIVE=Z
      HISTORY=ON,512,ON
      COUNTRY=1,,C:\DRDOS\COUNTRY.SYS

      - autoexec.bat-

      @ECHO Off
      PATH C:\DRDOS;C:\;c:\gnu;C:\dosemu
      set HELPPATH=C:\help
      set TEMP=C:\tmp
      PROMPT [DR-DOS] $P$G
      unix -s DOSDRIVE_D
      if "%DOSDRIVE_D% == "" goto nodrived
      lredir d: linux\fs%DOSDRIVE_D%
      :nodrived
      unix -s DOSEMU_VERSION
      SET DRDOSCFG=C:\DRDOS
      NWCACHE 512 256 /LEND=ON /DELAY=OFF
      unix -e

2. Get the nwclient discs from novell and install them into C:\nwclient
    Get pdether-1.03
    Check that you have tun/tap installed in your linux. If not simply
            get the sources and install.
    Put the following line in /etc/modules.conf
       alias char-major-10-200 tun

    Make sure /dev/net/tun is accessible by the user who runs dosemu. On
     my client box i did a chmod a+rwx /dev/net/tun /dev/tap* (DANGER!!!!)

    Create a startnet.bat and net.cfg in dosemu

    CD C:\NWCLIENT
    edit ....

    - startnet.bat -

    SET NWLANGUAGE=DEUTSCH
    LH C:\NWCLIENT\LSL /c=C:\NWCLIENT\net.cfg
    C:\NWCLIENT\PDETHER.EXE
    LH C:\NWCLIENT\IPXODI.COM
    rem LH C:\NWCLIENT\NETX
    LH C:\NWCLIENT\VLM.EXE

    - net.cfg -

    Link Support
           Buffers 4 1514
           MemPool 2048

    Link Driver PDETHER
           Int 60
           FRAME Ethernet_II
           USE DEFAULTS=OFF
           VLM=CONN.VLM
           VLM=IPXNCP.VLM
           VLM=TRAN.VLM
           VLM=SECURITY.VLM
           VLM=NDS.VLM
           VLM=NWP.VLM
           VLM=FIO.VLM
           VLM=BIND.VLM
           VLM=PRINT.VLM
           VLM=GENERAL.VLM
           VLM=REDIR.VLM
           VLM=NETX.VLM

    NetWare DOS Requester
           FIRST NETWORK DRIVE   = F
           NETWORK PROTOCOL      = BIND
           SHOW DOTS             = ON
           SET STATION TIME      = ON
           PREFERRED SERVER      = EMK1
           FILE HANDLES          = 40
           LOCAL PRINTERS        = 1
           VLM                   = AUTO.VLM

  Now fire up startnet.bat and things should run ....

Hope that helps

Peter

--

dadi-linux                       www.dadi-linux.de

Peter Eckhardt                   Fon: +49 6071 951256
Weberstr. 36B                    Fax: +49 6071 951257
64846 Groß-Zimmern               peter.eckhardt@dadi-linux.de

-