From: Amin <amin@siriusbb.com>
To: linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: MSN Messenger clones keep failing
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 21:34:57 +0600	[thread overview]

James Miller (office) wrote:

> Well, I don't have direct experience with any of those clients, nor with
> trying to chat on MSN from Linux.  But I do read some computer news, and
> have seen articles recently (within the last month?) that talk about an
> impending M$ plan to cut off their network from other chat clients.  I
> understood that this was to apply to all non-M$ clients as well as to
> earlier versions of M$'s client as well.  Maybe this explains the trouble
> you're having?
>
> James

This seems likely.  The latest version of one of the clones
I use tells me that MSN Messenger is using a new protocol
and new security, something about SSL, and would I like to
download a small patch to handle this?  I said yes, and got
the patch ... but even that seems to be a little behind the
curve.  Well then it's back to good ol' Yahoo Messenger for me.

Thanks,
Yawar Amin

-