* [SPDK] Re: Preparation for SPDK 19.10 release
@ 2019-10-25  9:47 Zawadzki, Tomasz
From: Zawadzki, Tomasz @ 2019-10-25  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi all,

Merge window for SPDK 19.10 release is now closed.
Branch 'v19.10.x' is now created and patch on it tagged as 'v19.10-rc1'.

SPDK 19.10 release is planned for October 31st.

Until then process used for Maintenance releases will be used
to apply any critical fixes on the branch.
First patch has to be submitted/reviewed/merged on master branch.
At any point please add hashtag '19.10' to the patch.
Then such patch can be cherry-picked to 'v19.10.x' branch.
Current list of patches can always be seen here:
https://review.gerrithub.io/q/hashtag:%252219.10%2522+(status:open)

PS. There is topic submitted for next Community meeting
regarding NVMe-oF validation in preparation for release.
Please feel free to join and discuss, topics related to SPDK releases or any others at:
https://spdk.io/community/

Thanks,
Tomek

@ 2019-10-16 20:01 Luse, Paul E
From: Luse, Paul E @ 2019-10-16 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

I think discussion on a call is a great idea, I've got lots of lots of input ☺ I put it on the agenda already, we can do something sooner if you'd like Sasha, we can always fire up a freeconference call at any time as long as get those who have the most interest in participating to agree on a time....

Thx
Paul

On 10/16/19, 10:13 AM, "Harris, James R" <james.r.harris(a)intel.com> wrote:

    Hi Sasha,

    See inline [Jim] below.

    -Jim

    On 10/16/19, 10:01 AM, "Sasha Kotchubievsky" <sashakot(a)dev.mellanox.co.il> wrote:

        Hi Jim,

        PSB [SK]

[...]

    From functional perspective, we test complex scenarios like OS install/boot to/from distributed storage.  We test reboots and reconnects. In addition,  we test on non-x86 platform too.
    For upstream SPDK (reacting on each patch) we have limited number of sanity tests.
    From my point of view, for network part the verification system should test:
[...]

            From my experience, having a table/list in release notes with such changes

@ 2019-10-16 17:00 Sasha Kotchubievsky
From: Sasha Kotchubievsky @ 2019-10-16 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi Jim,

PSB [SK]

[...]

From functional perspective, we test complex scenarios like OS install/boot to/from distributed storage.  We test reboots and reconnects. In addition,  we test on non-x86 platform too.
For upstream SPDK (reacting on each patch) we have limited number of sanity tests.
From my point of view, for network part the verification system should test:
[...]

        From my experience, having a table/list in release notes with such changes

@ 2019-10-16 16:10 Sasha Kotchubievsky
From: Sasha Kotchubievsky @ 2019-10-16 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi Paul,

PSB[SK]

I'm sure you'll get some other opinions as well but as the changelog now pretty much only contains interface and parameter changes sorted by module, are you just suggesting re-organizing it to make it clearer per module where interface changes have occurred vs parameter changes?

[SK]
I agree, changes in interfaces, mostly, are documented in changelog. I just suggest to add compact table/list with per module changes in "public" interfaces.
Changes parameters are less documented.
It would be nice to see the same information with focus on changes in interfaces in addition to list of feature descriptions.

Wrt testing, I love that you guys are testing this so thoroughly! I have to ask though, what additional testing are you proposing that isn't already in either the main CI or your own CI?

[SK] Our own CI

 Is there a possibility to get these tests unstreamed? We really want to continue with a model of continuous integration and test without any additional testing nearing a release.

[SK] Unfortunately, it's quite complicated. We focus on network part of SPDK and we test on real HW. I don't see how we can upstream such kind of testing. We're working on continuous testing for upstream SPDK, but at this stage it's not ready. On the other hand, our test suite complements existing SPDK in-house testing and we can provide valuable feedback at least for release version. More frequent testing will come later.

[...]

    From my experience, having a table/list in release notes with such changes

@ 2019-10-16 15:21 Harris, James R

@ 2019-10-16 14:46 Luse, Paul E

@ 2019-10-16 11:55 Sasha Kotchubievsky