* Re: memory problem with fec on 8250
@ 2004-01-04 15:55 Samo Pogacnik
From: Samo Pogacnik @ 2004-01-04 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hello!

Is it possible that there is something wrong in the way how the:
"netif_wake_queue(dev)" gets called from the interrupt handler in the
"fcc_enet.c"?
I can confirm this problem for 2.4.18 as well as 2.6.0 kernels on mpc82xx.

bye, Samo

* Re: memory problem with fec on 8250
@ 2004-01-05  8:15 ` Wojciech Kromer
From: Wojciech Kromer @ 2004-01-05  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linuxppc-Embedded (E-mail)

Użytkownik Samo Pogacnik napisał:

>Hello!
>
>Is it possible that there is something wrong in the way how the:
>"netif_wake_queue(dev)" gets called from the interrupt handler in the
>"fcc_enet.c"?
>I can confirm this problem for 2.4.18 as well as 2.6.0 kernels on mpc82xx.
>
>bye, Samo

i don't know exactly what's wrong with 82xx code,
but i wrote a small patch that frees unfreed skbuf before allocating new
one,
and now it works fine

additionaly, i had no problem with (almost) the same code on 8xx

--
* * * * * * * * * * * *
* per pedes ad astra! *

* Re: memory problem with fec on 8250
@ 2004-01-05 22:52   ` Samo Pogacnik
From: Samo Pogacnik @ 2004-01-05 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

On Monday 05 January 2004 09:15, Wojciech Kromer wrote:
> Użytkownik Samo Pogacnik napisał:
> >
> >Is it possible that there is something wrong in the way how the:
> >"netif_wake_queue(dev)" gets called from the interrupt handler in the
> >"fcc_enet.c"? I can confirm this problem for 2.4.18 as well as 2.6.0
> >kernels on mpc82xx.
>
> i don't know exactly what's wrong with 82xx code, but i wrote a small
> patch that frees unfreed skbuf before allocating new one, and now it
> works fine
>
> additionaly, i had no problem with (almost) the same code on 8xx

hi, Wojciech
can you send the patch?
did you free skbuffs from the irq handler or somewhere else?

when i run netperf (snapshot) test using the 100Mbps connection, this
test eats all the available RAM. the /proc/meminfo shows that most of the used
memory at that point is been held by internal kernel structures (Slab).

by, Samo

* cd
@ 2004-01-06  7:47     ` Wojciech Kromer
From: Wojciech Kromer @ 2004-01-06  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linuxppc-Embedded (E-mail)

Użytkownik Samo Pogacnik napisał:

>On Monday 05 January 2004 09:15, Wojciech Kromer wrote:
>

>>Użytkownik Samo Pogacnik napisał:
>>

>>>Is it possible that there is something wrong in the way how the:
>>>"netif_wake_queue(dev)" gets called from the interrupt handler in the
>>>"fcc_enet.c"? I can confirm this problem for 2.4.18 as well as 2.6.0
>>>kernels on mpc82xx.
>>>

>>i don't know exactly what's wrong with 82xx code, but i wrote a small
>>patch that frees unfreed skbuf before allocating new one, and now it
>>works fine
>>
>>additionaly, i had no problem with (almost) the same code on 8xx
>>

>hi, Wojciech
>can you send the patch?

sure, just 4 lines addes

>did you free skbuffs from the irq handler or somewhere else?

just before allocation

>when i run netperf (snapshot) test using the 100Mbps connection, this
>test eats all the available RAM. the /proc/meminfo shows that most of the used
>memory at that point is been held by internal kernel structures (Slab).

better reults are shwn with
grep skb /proc/slabinfo

>by, Samo

here it is:

***************
*** 413,418 ****
--- 412,420 ----

      /* Save skb pointer.
      */
+     //by k@m 2003-12-05
+     if(cep->tx_skbuff[cep->skb_cur])
+      dev_kfree_skb_irq (cep->tx_skbuff[cep->skb_cur]);
      cep->tx_skbuff[cep->skb_cur] = skb;

      cep->stats.tx_bytes += skb->len;
***************
*** 560,565 ****
--- 562,568 ----
          /* Free the sk buffer associated with this last transmit.
          */
          dev_kfree_skb_irq(cep->tx_skbuff[cep->skb_dirty]);
+         cep->tx_skbuff[cep->skb_dirty]=0;//by k@m 2003-12-05
          cep->skb_dirty = (cep->skb_dirty + 1) & TX_RING_MOD_MASK;

          /* Update pointer to next buffer descriptor to be transmitted.
***************
*** 1348,1353 ****
--- 1351,1357 ----
       * It works when I do this.
       */
      memset((char *)ep, 0, sizeof(fcc_enet_t));
+     memset(cep->tx_skbuff,0,sizeof(cep->tx_skbuff));

      /* Allocate space for the buffer descriptors in the DP ram.
       * These are relative offsets in the DP ram address space.

ps: i send you my full version of fcc_enet.c

--
* * * * * * * * * * * *
* per pedes ad astra! *

* Re: memory problem with fec on 8250
@ 2004-01-06 22:03       ` Samo Pogacnik
From: Samo Pogacnik @ 2004-01-06 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 08:47, Wojciech Kromer wrote:
> sure, just 4 lines addes
>
> >did you free skbuffs from the irq handler or somewhere else?
>
> just before allocation
>
> >when i run netperf (snapshot) test using the 100Mbps connection, this
> >test eats all the available RAM. the /proc/meminfo shows that most
> >of the used memory at that point is been held by internal kernel
> >structures (Slab).
>
> better reults are shwn with grep skb /proc/slabinfo
>
> here it is:
	.
	.
	.
Thank you for the tips and the patch.
Eth seems to be working now without eating the RAM.

By the way that you have solved the problem, I suspect that BDs are written
over the dirty_tx limit, before their associated skbs get freed via the irq
handler.

bye, Samo

* Re: cd
@ 2013-04-03 22:55 ` Andreas Ericsson
From: Andreas Ericsson @ 2013-04-03 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jpinheiro; +Cc: git

On 04/03/2013 04:49 PM, jpinheiro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are students from Universidade do Minho in Portugal, and we are using git
> in project as a case study.
> While experimenting with git we found an unexpected behavior with git rm.
> Here is a trace of the unexpected behavior:
>
> $ git init
> $ mkdir D
> $ echo "Hi" > D/F
> $ git add D/F
> $ rm -r D
> $ echo "Hey" > D
> $ git rm D/F
> warning: 'D/F': Not a directory
> rm 'D/F'
> fatal: git rm: 'D/F': Not a directory
>

> If the file D created with last echo did not exist or was named differently
> then no error would occur as expected. For example:
>
> $ git init
> $ mkdir D
> $ echo "Hi" > D/F
> $ git add D/F
> $ rm -r D
> $ echo "Hey" > F
> $ git rm D/F
>
> This works as expected, and the only difference is the name of the file of
> the last echo.
> Is this the expected behavior of git rm?

Yes. The only difference between 'git rm' and 'rm' is that git rm also
removes the file from its index and prepares to commit a version without
it. From git's point of view, it's not an error if the file doesn't
exist. It *is* an error if the directory where the file should reside
suddenly no longer a directory though.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson@op5.se

on peace.